difference of calling web services and calling web page

Dear all,

 What is the difference of call a web services instead of

calling a aspx page which is also programming can accept parameters and return results?

0
rchiu5hk

Webservice -- Soap protocol

Webapplication  -- HTTP protocol

0
chenthil_it
9/16/2008 9:53:51 AM

Webservices are of two Major types

Xml & SOAP

HttpWebServices

Basic difference is in usage and implementation. We use a webservice inside a website. it is added as a reference or we can call it through HttpWebRequests and Response objects.

Webpages are the components that have presentation and logic, while web services provide the service that webpages can utilize

Do mark as answer if it helps

Best Regards

Ali Sufyan Butt
Software Engineer
Electronic Solutions Pvt. Limited
0
AliSufyanButt
9/16/2008 10:34:44 AM

Thanks a lot for acknowledging my post as an answer

Do mark as answer if it helps

Best Regards

Ali Sufyan Butt
Software Engineer
Electronic Solutions Pvt. Limited
0
AliSufyanButt

DynamicPopulateExtender: Web Service call failed: 12152, Web Service call failed: 12031
Hi, I'm using a DynamicPopulateExtender to take the value of a SELECT dropdown and pass it to an onpage web service (defined with <System.Web.Services.WebMethod()> _ '<System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptMethod()>) and as PUBLIC SHARED FUNCTION myfunction(contextKey as string) as string. The function returns the html for a listbox. Everything seems to fire properly on the client but when the web service is called by the Javascript function, I get Web Service call failed: 12152 or Web Service call failed: 12031 Any pointers would be appreciated.  Do...

Can you call a web service from a web service?
I am trying to create a web service that itself consumes a 3rd party web service outside of our corporate firewall - so basically a web service consuming another web service.  I can consume this outside web service directly in an ASP.NET application without a problem.  But because the code is long and cumbersome, I wanted to provide our GUI developers an easy way to get all of the data they need from one source.  So I thought I could create an internal web service that would do a lot of things (query internal systems, for example) as well as consuming this external service.&nb...

Problem calling Web Service using the DynamicPopulate Extender
Hi, I'm quite new to ASP.Net AJAX so please forgive my ignorance.  I have downloaded and installed the RC1 version and am following through some of the tutorial videos.  I am having a problem with the Dynamic Populate Extender example.  I have created some asp controls with onclick events calling a javascript function.  From there I am attempting to use a dynamic populate extender control to call a web service - it's a function declared on that ASPX page as the tutorial explains in necessary and decorated with the System.Web.Services.WebMEthod AND System.Web.Script.Serv...

How i create web services & call web services?
Give me the solution of how i create webservices & call it and what is purpose of web services ?? PlsGuree  >how i create webservicesVery much the same as creating a new web site site - it is just a different project type. > & call it andAdd a web reference to an existing project to consume the web service.>what is purpose of web services ??To send and receive data.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. &...

Unable to call web service from web page
 I know this has probably been asked dozens of times before but as it's a fairly general, simple question I'm not sure what to search under.I have a very simple web service that I want to make a callback to (from an AJAX.NET ScriptManager). At this stage all it returns is the out-of-the-box Hello World string. The web service, DataService.asmx, is as follows:[WebService(Namespace = "http://tempuri.org/")][WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo = WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1)][System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptService()]public class DataService : System.Web.Services.WebService{&nbs...

PB 11.5.1 (4011)
Hello Everyone, I am getting a strange error when calling a C# Web Service in PB 11.5.1 (4011). System.OutOfMemoryException When my application starts, I do the following: application global variable n_uploaded_files gnv_uploaded_files open event of application gnv_uploaded_files = CREATE n_uploaded_files n_uploaded_files instance variable s2010_upload_web_service iproxy_webservice SoapConnection iSOAP_connection constructor event of n_uploaded_files isoap_connection = CREATE SoapConnection of_instantiateservice(iproxy_webservice, "s201...

Calling an asynch web service within an asynch web service.
I have read two different articles regarding optimizing thread pool utilization by calling asynchrounous web methods and then calling an asynchronous method within them. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnservice/html/service10012002.asp http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/06/Threading/default.aspx The first article has an asynch web service method asynchronously calling another web service method. The second article has an asynch web service method spawning a new .NET thread and asynchronously calling it. I would like to use...

asynchronous call of web service method from another web service
I am calling a web service method from within another web service.  Both are called asyncrhonously. Webservice 1 is invokde from a consumer app and its completed event is assigned an event handler, this works ok  The webservice being called is itself invoking another webservice and asynchronously calling another web method, again Ive assigned an event handler to its completed event, which works.  My problem is how do i expose the ouput (a dataset) of the second web method to the first web method ? Hi, Please have a look at this article: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/li...

How to call .net web service from Java web application?
Hi all,  I have a vb .net web service.How do i call .net web service from Java web application?What all resources I need?Can you please provide a sample application where a java application is invoking methods of .net web service? Thank you Hi, First I am not familiar with java language, but web services are universal operating system and language independent. It doesn't matter where the services is or in what language is written you just invoke it  and it gives you "replay".  Probably you must reffer to java consuming web services.   Regard...

REST Web Service : How to call a web service method by REST way ?
Hi buddy,Can anyone tell me that how do i call a method through a web service by a REST way.I have one local application (with C#.NET, ASP.NET 2.0, SQL Server 2005) and I want to call a Web Service method which is created on a remote machine. I have to call that method from my web application by using a REST (Representational State Transfer) way. I have a WSDL file.Please provide me technical details to make this happen.I want exact code to achieve this.Please please its urgent....Thanks in advance.Thanks,Mitesh.Please Mark this as an Answer if it resolves your problem. Which Version of .n...

HELP! Strange error when calling web service from web page.
Hey there.I have a .NET 1.1 web service that does a simple query of our AD implementation. I'm trying to consume it in an simple .NET 2.0 webpage, but am having a terrible time wiring up this particular web service.I have a GridView (GV) that is bound to an ObjectDataSource (ODS). At runtime, the ODS reads in the QueryString to get the passed query criteria (i.e. "MyPage.aspx?SearchText=(sn=A*)").When I run the web page I get the following error:Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. I cannot seem to pinpoint why this is happening. The webservice runs perfectly fine if I...

Calling remote web services hosted on a different web site

Web resources about - difference of calling web services and calling web page - asp.net.xml-web-services

World powers adopt UN Syria resolution to end civil war, but differences on Assad's future as leader ...
The UN Security Council unanimously adopts a resolution endorsing a peace process to end the Syrian war.

How a Fox News Poll Makes the Difference in CNN Debate
Rand Paul has Fox News to thank for making the cut in the main debate on CNN Tuesday night. The Kentucky Senator could have been relegated to ...

Differences Matter
I was struck by this paragraph in the Slate piece on our portfolio company YouNow this weekend: In theory, YouNow sounds a bit like Twitter’s ...

There will be one huge difference when you see the new ‘Star Wars’ movie in theaters
When you head out to see "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," the film will have one very big change as soon as the movie starts. Up until now, each ...

Harrison Ford Mocks Trump: You Can’t Tell The Difference Between Movies And Real Life
Harrison Ford Mocks Trump: You Can’t Tell The Difference Between Movies And Real Life

Can you spot the differences between fact-checking a GOP debate and whack-a-mole?
It shouldn’t come as any big surprise that Tuesday night’s Republican presidential debate was a bonanza for fact-checkers. Here are a few of ...