VS.NET cannot detect Web Matrix web server

I'm running VS.NET 2003 on XP Home, so I have Web Matrix installed as a web server (I don't have IIS).

I wanted to create my first web application with VS.NET, but when I select New Project -> asp.net web application I get the following message:

VS.NET cannot detect a web server running asp.net 1.1... etc.

I have the NET framework installed (SDK). Also I notice that I do not have a web server icon in my system tray. Do I have to do something to configure or enable Web Matrix web server (I only installed it).

Many thanks
Chris
0
chrizola
11/28/2005 1:35:22 PM
asp.net.web-matrix 2237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hey,

VS.NET 2003 requires IIS; Web Matrix local web server will not work for that.
Brian

"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4).
0
bmains
11/28/2005 3:06:34 PM
Thanks for that Brian. I was beginning to suspect as much. Could I use Apache or some other free web server?

Cheers,
Chris
0
chrizola
11/28/2005 3:42:02 PM
Hello,

Out of the box, I don't believe so.  I don't know if you can create custom code to change that or not...  I would suspect no, though.
Brian

"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4).
0
bmains
11/28/2005 8:05:07 PM

Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade to XP Pro then. Thanks for your help. Do I have to close this thread?

Cheers,

Chris

0
chrizola
11/28/2005 9:45:18 PM

XP Pro would be a good choice.  Mark the thread resolved at the top.

Brian

"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4).
0
bmains
11/29/2005 1:06:46 PM
Have a look here

Mikhail

C#.NET in VS.NET vs. C# in Web Matrix
Hi all, I am very new to .NET ... I realized C#.NET is only available from Visual Studio.NET ... however, I realized Web Matrix also allowed us to choose C# as language but not C#.NET ... they are not the same, right? If not, then why it's in Web Matrix which runs ASP.NET?? If I need to run C#.Net, I MUST GET VS.NET, right? Can C#.NET has the abality to create chat program? Thank you very much. C#.NET and C# are the same thing. JimMS MVP ASP.NET [VC++/MFC emeritus]Old Dog Learns New TricksPreferred programming language: cuneiform on clay tablets So ... that means I can use web matrix t...

Using web matrix web server with Visual Studio .NET 2003
Hello all, I am a computer system technology student and my college is a part of the MSDN Academic alliance, so I managed to recieve an educational copy of Visual Studio.NET 2003. Seeing as I am on a work term and actually have free time at night... I have decided to punish myself and learn another technology. My problem is that I am running it on a Windows XP Home edition system at home, so I cannot run IIS. I do have the professional CD, also from MSDN acdemic alliance, but, 1) I may someday use my XP Home to produce comercial solutions in HTML, PHP, JSP or other (though I'll pr...

possible to use both vs.net and web matrix for web application development?
Hello there, i am wondering will it possible to develop a web application using a mixture of web matrix and VS.NET? Say for example, on my application, i developing a web service module(both client n web service ) in VS.NET while my teammates is doing their web application module using webmatrix. Once integrated into a system will it work? Do note that these modules dont share the same data, hence no data exhange will occur. Both the application will be using VB.NET as well. Pls someone answer my doubts, thanks! If you do component programming ofcourse yes. it is like one ...

web matrix web server vs IIS...
Im just starting out with asp.net, downloaded Web Matrix, im attempting to do some very simple things with a MSSQL database, display contents of a table, edit those contents through a form etc. Basic displaying of a table was acomplished easily by simply dragging a table across from the datasources I had open, however as soon as I turned off the webmatrix web server, and used IIS, this falls over with an error about not being able to connect to the MSSQL database... Does Web Matrix use its own tags that only the web matrix web server can read? Or is it a matter of changing the Connecti...

deploying web matrix web pages to host web server
Hi:I'm new to this forum and also in developing asp .net web pages.  I created web pages using Web Matrix v0.6.812.0 (connecting to an Access backend in the same folder as the web pages). Now I need to upload it to my company's web server (Windows 2000 with IIS and .Net Framework 1.1) so the customer can see them.  My administrator created a virtual site for me on the company's web server and I copied the .aspx, .ascx, .css, .mdb and web.config files to the directory for my virtual site.   When I try to access my default.aspx file on the web server thr...

Web Matrix Web Server
Im having problems with using web matrix... Im using Microsoft Access as my database for my asp.net project... going over the tutorials, "ASP.NET Pages with Data (Microsoft Access) - Using the generated Data Methods", the example works fine when Im using the Web Matrix Server, however, there are errors when Im using IIS 6.0... is this because of the security settings? can anyone help me pinpoint which security setting is preventing this from working? tnx tnx tnx!!! Are you getting an error message when attempting to run this? Does your database live in the same virtual folder...

web web web

VS.Net vs. Web Matrix
I have used the Web Matrix with a couple of books who use it and thought is was really cool. I would like to use it more but my issue is that no one at work knows about it. All our developers use VS.Net. So I don't want to be the odd man out. So my question is: how are people here using it? In a development environment? Just for learning? Are most people using it for just learning and then planning to move up to VS.net? I am not looking down at the web matrix. I am a big fan of it. I am also a huge fan of Front Page 2003 too which most of our devs can’t see the value ...

web matrix vs vs.net
i am confused about what web matrix is for. can't i do everything in visual studio? do i need web matrix to develop an asp.net application in visual studio? Hi, If you have visual studio.net, just forget web matrix. Web matrix is a free development tool provided for beginners or rather users who cannot afford to have visual studio.net (price, license etc.,) If you have visual studio.net, you can pretty well do asp.net applications. don't bother about web matrix. Hope it clarifies. Thanks.regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh HI! I have Visual Studio .net(lice...

Web Matrix Vs. VS.Net
Is one have more features than the other?? I got WebMatrix with a code book I use and it seems to do the job, but I was unsure of the capabilities it has. Any suggestions??- km______________________________________"always here and always forever"...

Web Matrix vs VS.NET
Hi, I'm a newbie and is curious about the difference between the two? regards /xaphod Hi, You can find the difference at here Regards,...

vs.net and web matrix
do these applications work together? if i have vs.net can share work with someone using web matrix? how would i get the web matrix projects into my vs.net project? I don't think webmatrix supports code behind files. I am not sure on thsi as I have never really used it myself. I am also unsure if webmatrix uses sln files like visual studio does. I always thought that webmatrix ran the SDK and followed the same setup as it as far as what files and what type of files it supports. You could get someone working on either one to collaborate on a project, it just won't be as easy as...

Are Cassini Web Server and Web Matrix Server the same product?
Are Cassini Web Server and Web Matrix Server the same product? Or they are diferent? They're the same.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Hello markberr, sorry that I answer so late. I used winxp pro to download the source code. I tried this link http://www.asp.net/Projects/Cassini/Download/download.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1 Unfortunately with winxp pro I got an error message with the following content (similar): Cassini.exe from www.asp.net can't be transfered. The Internet-Website couldn't be opened... Well I tried to down...

Deploying VS.NET 2005 Crystal on a Web Server for Web App
Can someone confirm when/where the Crystal for VS.NET 2005 Merge Modules will be available?Secondarily.. I am wanting to deploy to a web server and with VS.NET 2003 v (and VS.NET 2002 version), I had to use the merge modules to be able to enter in our product key otherwise we had licensing issues.I just read a post that seemed to imply that this may not be needed with VS.NET 2005 version.. is that so?I am able to create a installation package by choosing Crystal as a prerequisite in the VS.NET 2005 setup project, but that seems more like the thing we would do if we were shipping out a WinFor...

Web resources about - VS.NET cannot detect Web Matrix web server - asp.net.web-matrix

PBS Democratic debate 2016: Gwen Ifill's questions enliven event - POLITICO
Clinton and Sanders offer more nuance, less fireworks, than in previous network encounters.

Star Wars and Mario make the perfect combination in 'Star Kart!'
YouTube user Dark Pixel mashes up Star Wars with Nintendo's Mario Kart games in this fun fan-made video. Mario flies an X-Wing like a Rebel, ...

Valentines Day Restaurant Deals And Gift Ideas And Experiences That Will Please Any Sweetheart
With Valentines Day just a few days away, for those who haven’t found the perfect gifts for their sweethearts, it may be a stressful time. There ...

Death of officer, 2nd killed in line of duty, shakes Fargo
Chron.com Death of officer, 2nd killed in line of duty, shakes Fargo Chron.com FARGO, N.D. (AP) — The death of a Fargo police officer in the ...

Diplomats aim for temporary Syria truce in a week
CNN International Diplomats aim for temporary Syria truce in a week Fox News MUNICH – Diplomats agreed Friday to work toward a temporary "cessation ...

Guilt watch reality TV on repeat with NBCUniversal's new video service
Finally the television gods are shining down on Australia. If you enjoy a sneaky binge of Made in Chelsea , hate-watching Kim Kardashian and ...

Japan and Other Asian Markets Fall After Share Sell-Offs Hit Europe and the U.S.
More Here’s Why Global Markets are Panicking Right Now China’s Economy Registers Weakest Economic Growth in 24 Years Japan’s Central Bank Now ...

Qualcomm's Latest Chip Provides Gigabit LTE Speeds
Hold on to your data contracts: Qualcomm’s latest modem chip will enable mobile devices to achieve LTE download speeds of up to 1Gbps. Now you ...

George Clooney Brings 'Hail Caesar' to Berlin with Wife Amal!
George Clooney walks the red carpet at the premiere of his movie Hail Caesar held during the 2016 Berlin Film Festival on Thursday (February ...

Google just closed a major loophole in Europe's 'right to be forgotten'
If you search for someone's name on Google in Europe, you're greeted with an odd message at the bottom of search results: Some results may have ...