How to deploy Web Matrix project to a web host?

I have FTP'ed the aspx files and web.config file of a project to a directory on my web host  (and yes, my webhost claims to be .NET-enabled), but when I point my browser to those files, all I get is an error: "Server Error in / Application". In fact, the error message further instructs me to change a line in my web.config ("customErrors mode='off'") that I have already changed!!

I developed the files in Web Matrix, not VS.Net. The app runs just fine on my local testing server. I have read all the deployment scenarios and instructions for VS.Net but none of them seem to apply to Web Matrix. How do I deploy (and successfully run) my web app without using Visual Studio?
0
casty
11/16/2003 7:57:11 AM
asp.net.web-matrix 2237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Firstly, please make sure your hoster mark your folder as
a web application.
FYI: http://authors.aspalliance.com/PaulWilson/Articles/?id=16
Regards,
0
Colt
11/16/2003 12:35:08 PM
Colt, thank you for the link.  It's obviously part of what I need.  But I'm working with a commercial ISP who says he supports ASP but so far I haven't been able to make that initial ftp connection from Web Matrix to the web space I'm renting from the ISP.  I use the ftp info that works in WS_FTP.  Could it be that something needs to be done on the server that isn't being done by the ISP?  Do you have any idea what the ISP must do to prepare from my Web Matrix app to run?  If we had that information, we would have all the info we need to sucessfully deploy web matrix apps to a commercial web host.

Thanks,
0
nhorsley

deploying web matrix web pages to host web server
Hi:I'm new to this forum and also in developing asp .net web pages.  I created web pages using Web Matrix v0.6.812.0 (connecting to an Access backend in the same folder as the web pages). Now I need to upload it to my company's web server (Windows 2000 with IIS and .Net Framework 1.1) so the customer can see them.  My administrator created a virtual site for me on the company's web server and I copied the .aspx, .ascx, .css, .mdb and web.config files to the directory for my virtual site.   When I try to access my default.aspx file on the web server thr...

Deploying to Web Host with Web Matrix
I have one simple asp.net page created using Web Matrix that I am trying to run on my web host but I am getting a runtime error. The error is: Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag wit...

Web hosting web matrix
Hello, I have a site made in web matrix with Access database . I want to put iti to work (it sells stuff). Is it legal and free to put it on a server and use it on this purpose? Ps: Do you recomend me to choose a web hosting company from my country ? Thanks!!! It's legal, and you should use a host that supports the functions you need.  That may or may not be in your country. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue. Don't depend on the location choose the host t...

web web web

Web Matrix and IIS. Page is not opening from Web Matrix. HELP!!!
Hi, I am running XP Pro with IIS + Web Matrix. I used all tips for fixing .NET in Web Matrix (XML config tips). When I am testing pages from Web Matrix http://localhost:8080/test.aspx nothing shows up in a browser. It is just white. However if I select Open in Web Browser from Web Matrix browser shows directory listing with all files. Once I click on one of those files again nothing happens. My configuration: Win XP SP1 with IIS running, Hardware router D-Link for sharing cable internet connection between 3 computers (port 8080 is open). Is it possible to get Web Matrix server to ...

Web Matrix Web Server
Im having problems with using web matrix... Im using Microsoft Access as my database for my asp.net project... going over the tutorials, "ASP.NET Pages with Data (Microsoft Access) - Using the generated Data Methods", the example works fine when Im using the Web Matrix Server, however, there are errors when Im using IIS 6.0... is this because of the security settings? can anyone help me pinpoint which security setting is preventing this from working? tnx tnx tnx!!! Are you getting an error message when attempting to run this? Does your database live in the same virtual folder...

VS.NET cannot detect Web Matrix web server
I'm running VS.NET 2003 on XP Home, so I have Web Matrix installed as a web server (I don't have IIS).I wanted to create my first web application with VS.NET, but when I select New Project -> asp.net web application I get the following message:VS.NET cannot detect a web server running asp.net 1.1... etc.I have the NET framework installed (SDK). Also I notice that I do not have a web server icon in my system tray. Do I have to do something to configure or enable Web Matrix web server (I only installed it).Many thanksChris Hey,VS.NET 2003 requires IIS; Web Matrix local web serve...

Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project
 Hi! Maybe I have missed something, but shouldn't there be possible to do a web deployment project of a web application project? I have followed this guide http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx, but  I can't get it to work without building the web application project first. With TFSBuild it fails even if I build the web application first. The error looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebDepWeb.csproj -p <MySourceFolder>\WebDepWeb -f <MySourceFolder>\WebDepBuild\Binaries\Release\_PublishedWebsi...

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project
I went to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx and downloaded the web deployment project. Installed it and tried to create a deployment project for my web application project. However, I do not get the menu item. I've tried this with existing WAP's, new WAP's, but no luck. I have VS 2005 team developer, with SP1 and Team Explorer installed.I've tried the steps mentioned through out this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1502324.aspx but still have no luck in getting the menu item.Any help would be appreciatedWayne...

Web Deployment Projects: Web.config sections <system.web>
I like "Web Deployment Projects" a lot - WELL done!I encounter the following by trying to replace the system.web config section in Web.config.During the build I get   Web.config (1): error WDP00002: missing section system.web.I can replace other parts of the Web.config, like appSettings, connectionStrings and even system.runtime.remoting, but not system.web.Any ideas? Thankx! I think you have the honors of finding the first bug.  We're using Configuration.Sections[] to acess the replaceable sections and it doesn't appear to work with system.web.I'll enter the bug. ...

Web resources about - How to deploy Web Matrix project to a web host? - asp.net.web-matrix

The Project Shrink - Welcome To Shrinkonia.
... about the importance of the environment we work in and the stories we tell, we should have a Set Designer and a Storyteller on our projects. ...

Better Projects
I think this book by Tobias is beautifully written. There is real craftmanship in the prose here. The book is made up of independent self contained ...

Mozilla Corporation software rebranded by the Debian project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mozilla Corporation software rebranded by the Debian project deals with a 2006 software branding dispute and its resolution, between the Mozilla ...

Photo Kano Producer Teases New PS Vita Project
Game series' cumulative sales surpasses 200,000 copies , or an entirely new project. The website also announced that the series has sold a cumulative ...

Get trained for a career in project management for $39
... change can be daunting—and expensive, when you’re starting your training from scratch. So if you’ve been thinking about a new career in project ...

Future Islands side project The Snails release Christmas song, playing shows
Future Islands singer Samuel T. Herring and guitarist/bassist William Cashion have another band called The Snails (not to be confused with the ...

Microsoft laid off half the people working on one of its most important projects
Microsoft has laid off 30 employees who were working on HoloLens, the augmented reality headset, in Israel with 30 more being relocated within ...

DeGrussa Copper-Gold Mine Solar & Battery Project 50% Complete
... into construction of the 10.6 MW solar + 6 MW battery at the off-grid DeGrussa Copper-Gold Mine in Australia, the operator says the project ...

Retired Prof Hates Israel So Much She Won’t Help 13 Year Old With School Project
Retired Prof Hates Israel So Much She Won’t Help 13 Year Old With School Project

Sander/Moses Inks Deal With NBCU Int’l TV, Sells Projects To Amazon & ABC
Producers Ian Sander and Moses ( Ghost Whisperer, Reckless, Profiler ) have signed a first-look deal with NBC Universal International TV Production. ...