Web app referencing 32-bit dll on 64-bit OS

I have a web app that I am trying to deploy on a Windows 2003 x64 OS on a dedicated server at 1 and 1. I am having trouble referencing one of the required 3rd party dlls. I get the following error:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {DC28F64E-2B61-45C9-BA3F-26664BB9973F} failed due to the following error: 80040154

 Everything I have read points to the fact that this is a 32-bit dll on a 64-bit server. I have set IIS to run in worker proces isolation mode and Enable32bitApponWin64 set to "true". What else do I need to do to get this to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2+2=5 (for extremely large values of 2)
0
kcmonster58
3/10/2008 3:08:17 PM
asp.net.web-hosting 912 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Some components just will not work on a 64-bit machine, regardless of what mode you have IIS set in.  But, some will.  You may need to talk to the vendor to see if they know if it will work.

Did you reboot your server after setting Enable32bitApponWin64 to true?  IIRC a reboot is required for it to take effect.

Scott Forsyth
Director of IT
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
ASPInsider

ORCS Web, Inc
www.orcsweb.com
0
OWScott
3/10/2008 4:35:21 PM

Yes, I did reboot the server - it didn't help. I have contacted the vendor and they have successfully tested the dll on a 64-bit server. Mind you, they tested it with a 32-bit application, not a web application. So, the issue at hand is how to get his website to run as 32-bit. Everything I have read tells me that I need to compile it with x86 as the target platform. Problem is, that is not an option in a "website". So I guess I need to convert this project to a "web application". Not sure how I can do that without completely rebuilding it from scratch, and that would be a major undertaking.

2+2=5 (for extremely large values of 2)
0
kcmonster58
3/10/2008 4:59:42 PM

You can see if your site is running 32-bit by checking task manager.  Look for the w3wp.exe processes.  They will have something like *32 beside them.  (I don't remember the exact syntax).  Another thing to check is your file mappings for .aspx and other .NET extensions.  It's behind the "Configure" button in the "Home Directory" tab in IIS Manager.  Make sure that they are pointing to c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework instead of c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework64.

If it's running 32-bit, then I think it's going to be the same as running from a 32-bit application.  In that case it sounds like the vendor thinks that it should work and no ideas stand out to me.  So, the first thing I would recommend is to confirm that your sites really are running in 32-bit mode.

Scott Forsyth
Director of IT
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
ASPInsider

ORCS Web, Inc
www.orcsweb.com
0
OWScott
3/10/2008 5:58:55 PM
Good tip. So I checked the Configuration and everything was set to run out of the ..\framework64\... folder. I then  opened a cmd prompt and navigated to the ...Framework\v2.0.50727 directory and ran aspnet_regiis -i. This changed everything accordingly. However, now the W3 service won't start. In the event logs, I see the following error:

ISAPI Filter 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_filter.dll' could not be loaded due to a configuration problem. The current configuration only supports loading images built for a AMD64 processor architecture.

Any idea what configuration problem?
2+2=5 (for extremely large values of 2)
0
kcmonster58
3/10/2008 6:18:24 PM

It sounds to me like the Enable32bitApponWin64 setting didn't take.  The fix might be quiet easy then since the problem is with a well documented setting, and not with a 3rd party dll running from a web application.

I suggest reviewing your Enable32bitApponWin64 setting and see if you can find something that was set wrong.  You can view your metabase.xml file directly and search for that and see if it's set to true.

Scott Forsyth
Director of IT
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
ASPInsider

ORCS Web, Inc
www.orcsweb.com
0
OWScott
3/10/2008 9:16:40 PM

It wasn't the Enable32bitAppOnWin64 - that was correctly set to "True". The final problem was that the WWW service was set to run in IIS 5.0 isolation mode. This setting is found by right clicking on "Web Sites" in IIS and select properties from the menu. Then, in the dialog box, select the "Service" tab. The setting is a checkbox: "Run WWW service in IIS 5.0 isolation mode". In this case, I needed it to be unchecked. Once I did that, everything worked fine. So, as a recap for the next person to have this problem:

To run a .net 2.0 (or higher) web application in 32-bit mode in IIS 6.0 on a 64-bit server:

1. Enable32bitAppOnWin64 -

A. Open a command prompt and navigate to the %windir%\Inetpub\AdminScripts directory.

B. Type the following:

cscript.exe adsutil.vbs set W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32BitAppOnWin64 “true”

2. Install 32-bit version of asp.net -

A. Open command prompt and navigate to %SYSTEMROOT%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\

B. Type the following:

aspnet_regiis.exe -i

3. Restart World Wide Web Publishing Service.

If the service does not start correctly, make sure "Run WWW service in IIS 5.0 isolation mode" is unchecked. (see first paragraph of this post)

2+2=5 (for extremely large values of 2)
0
kcmonster58
3/10/2008 11:32:52 PM

Excellent.  Glad you were able to find out what was keeping it from running in 32-bit mode.

Scott Forsyth
Director of IT
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
ASPInsider

ORCS Web, Inc
www.orcsweb.com
0
OWScott

Web Service Development
Hi, Development Environment: Windows 2008 Server 64-bit, IIS 7.0, Visual Studio 2008, C# I am developing a web service in the above environment. The Visual Studio IDE does not have any specific output target platform for 64-bit machines in web service development, as it does for windows, class library or console applications. I am trying to reference a custom dll which was built with output target platform as "x64".  On building the web service i get a build error as "Could not load file or assembly 'MyAssembly, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToke...

64 bit cpu // 64 bit Os version // 64 bit powerbuilder?
Hi guys, Does anyone know if Powebuilder is available in 64 bit? Kind regards A 64-bit version of PB does not (yet) exist. -- HTH Arnoud Url: http://www.gloriant.be Also check out my PB Reference site : http://www.pbinfo.be "Gunther Huygens" <ghuygens@be.xrt.com> wrote in message news:eoSjDRaCDHA.331@forums-1-dub... > Hi guys, > > Does anyone know if Powebuilder is available in 64 bit? > > Kind regards > > > > Since there are no OS Windows 64 bits, i wonder how it could be possible. Since there is a 64 bi...

Call 64bit dll's function from 32 bit delphi code on 64 bit OS
Is there any way or trick to call a function in 64 bit DLL from Delphi code? Any hardware manufacturer must compile their device drivers into 64bit code for 64 bit OS. So for example, graphic driver from NVidia is compiled to 64bit code for 64bit OS. Question is how to load 64 bit dll from 32 bit delphi code and call such function? I hope somebody has already dealing with that. Thanks > is how to load 64 bit dll from 32 bit delphi code and call such function? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384249(VS.85).aspx http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2008/10/20/9...

SQL 8 support for 64 bit OS and 64 BIT OS, 64 BIT BUS Support, technical white paper, documentation, examples and success stories for SQL 8 if any please
SQL Anywhere Associates!! Is SQL 8 support 64 bit OS and 64 BIT OS, 64 BIT BUS Support, technical white paper, documentation, examples and success stories for SQL 8 if any please.... Thanks Vairam Is there any particular 64 bit OS that you are interested in hearing about? - Mark VS Vairam wrote: > > SQL Anywhere Associates!! > Is SQL 8 support 64 bit OS and 64 BIT OS, 64 BIT BUS Support, technical > white paper, documentation, examples and success stories for SQL 8 if any > please.... > > Thanks > > Vairam WINDOWS all flavours...

SQL 8 support for 64 bit OS and 64 BIT OS, 64 BIT BUS Support, technical white paper, documentation, examples and success stories for SQL 8 if any please
SQL Anywhere Associates!! Is SQL 8 support 64 bit OS and 64 BIT OS, 64 BIT BUS Support, technical white paper, documentation, examples and success stories for SQL 8 if any please.... Thanks Vairam I believe that SQL Anywhere Studio is currently only released in a 32-bit format. TO the extent that 32-bit applications can run on a 64-bit OS, you can use ASA on a 64-bit system. -- Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions Certified SQL Anywhere Associate Please reply only to the newsgroup ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm -> Cho...

64 bit OS/32 bit compiler
Need to know whether an executable compiled on a 64 bit OS with a 32 bit compiler will process on a 32 bit OS. Has anyone had any experience with this? wayne wrote: > > Need to know whether an executable compiled on a 64 bit OS with a 32 bit > compiler will process on a 32 bit OS. Has anyone had any experience with > this? Depends on whether it was linked with the 32bit or 64bit libraries. -am � 2001 ...

32-bit OS on a 64-bit computer
--____MLDDUTNVHDLQYNOVZGXI____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Fri, 4 Jan 2007 04:49:40 -0600" I get this message when I begin an install on a Dell PowerEdge 2850; is = there a 64-bit version of OES SP2? --____MLDDUTNVHDLQYNOVZGXI____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____DHQCIQMOMKFLZDGCJWDZ____" --____DHQCIQMOMKFLZDGCJWDZ____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inli...

32 bits OS on 64 bits processors
Hello everyone, First post for me on the security now forum cause I'd like to share some though about today's OS market. I recently came to realize that most computer sellers like Dell, only ship 32 bits OS on their core 2 duo machines, thus limiting the available RAM to 3.3Go. This limitation does not stop them to offer upgrades of, say, 8Go of RAM which is totally useless with a Vista 32. Strangely they don't even offer the choice to buy a Vista 64 license. The 4Go memory barrier is still pretty high for an average customers but not for long. How about a lambda u...

64 bit DB and 32 bit app
Hi, I want my Java application to connect to a 64 bit Sybse ASE db installed on an Itanium HP-UX machine. I wanted to know if I can connect to this database from a 32 bit JVM (Java 5) installed on HP-UX Itanium (Different machine, 64 bit VM in 32 bit mode) using the JConnect Driver 5.5 ? Is this safe or will I encounter any data portability/conversion issues? Any suggestions/help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance, Bharath There are no 32/64-bit issues between client and server. When a 64-bit version of ASE is used instead of a 32-bit version, that has no effect on th...

32 bit OS on 64 bit Xeon
I am trying to install version 12.0 on a Windows XP (32 bit OS) that is running on a 64 bit dual core Xeon. PowerDesigner will not take my license. Is anyone running on 64 bit hardware. I would prefer to not run on my old 32 bit hardware. Thanks Joe Littley This sounds like a job for Sybase Tech Support. Please contact them for help. -- Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase] http://www.datamodel.org mike[at]datamodel[dot]org (can you figure what to change?) Sybase product enhancement requests: http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement Joe Littley wrote: > ...

Upgrading from ASE (32-bit) 12.0.0.7 on Solaris 2.8 64-bit to ASE(64-bit) 12.5.1 on Solaris 64-bit
Hello all, We are planning to upgrade our ASE servers from a 32-bit ASE 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1 on Solaris 8. Could you please give what are the steps to be taken care and how do I start with ( Do I have to first upgrade to 32-bit12.5.1 and then upgrade to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1, or directly upgrade from 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1 ?). Could you also please point to some documentation (about upgrading 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1). Thanks RK ...

32-bit clent or 64-bit client on 64-bit O/S
We currently have a 32-bit client running on AIX 4.3.3 32-bit. We're moving that client to an AIX 5.x 64-bit system. Is there any advantage to switching to the 64-bit Sybase client? I'm not sure if it matters but the ASE Server that the client uses is 12.5 64-bit running on a 64-bit O/S. TIA only if you client app needs the extra memory "Richard" <rmcgorman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1170712581.822225.158160@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > We currently have a 32-bit client running on AIX 4.3.3 32-bit. We're > moving that > ...

Building 64 bit Python against 32 bit ASE on 64-bit Linux
I've been using various version of SYBASE=/usr/local/packages/sybase* to no avail. They all are giving me errors lated to "libblk". any ideas? /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/packages/sybase_OLD/lib/libblk.a when searching for -lblk If possible could you CC mrogish at tigr dot org since I am using the Sybase.com forums reader and it is difficult to bookmark this thread. Thanks!!! -- Matt Rogish cronus:/local/src/Linux64/python/modules/sybase-0.37 # /usr/local/packages/python64-2.4.2/bin/python setup.py build running build running build_py c...

XE2 running 64-bit host app that LoadPackage()s a 64-bit runtime package
I had this 64-bit host app that loads a 64-bit runtime package with LoadPackage() which also exports a function for initialization. I've been testing this for a while and asked a few questions to stackoverflow.com but no one came up with an answer. So I decided to consult to the professionals. What I wonder is, 1. Why does IDE try to load the package right after it has been built? (how I found this out? I added {$E dll} into the package source, compiler built the binary successfully with dll extension, but then it complained it couldn't load the package becuase it couldn't find...

Web resources about - Web app referencing 32-bit dll on 64-bit OS - asp.net.web-hosting

Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing , or TIGER , or TIGER/Line is a format used by the United States Census Bureau to ...

Facebook Testing Posts From Pages Users Haven’t Liked Referencing Pages Users Have Liked
Some Facebook users are seeing organic posts in their news feeds that suggest posts from pages they have not liked when the posts are in reference ...

McDonald's Ad Referencing 9/11, Boston Bombing Provokes Strong Reactions
NEW YORK — An ad by McDonald's is testing the fine line companies need to walk when referencing national tragedies. The ad by the world's biggest ...

iCloud storage warning emails already referencing iOS 8 & iCloud Drive
Those annoying iCloud storage warning email notifications have begun referencing the upcoming iOS 8 and iCloud Drive, according to multiple tips ...

Begich, Sullivan campaigns pull controversial ads referencing Mountain View case - Alaska Dispatch
... representing the victims' family in a high-profile murder and sexual assault case in Anchorage, the Sullivan and Begich camps pulled ads referencing ...

Protesters briefly disrupt Google I/O, referencing evictions, “robots that kill”
This blurred action shot is what happens when protesters unexpectedly disrupt a Google I/O keynote. The world of big tech conferences is usually ...

Emma Sulkowicz Created Rape-Referencing Video - artnet News
Watch the video that Emma Sulkowicz allegedly created, which alludes to rape, and seems to build on her controversial mattress performance.

A quick guide to referencing
Back in March as part of a series on Blog Ethics I wrote about Attribution where due , but in light of all the recent noise about spam blogs, ...

Man Arrested for Throwing Books While Referencing Scripture in Lakewood Church Store
A man was taken into custody for tossing books and knocking displays down all while referencing a particular scripture in Lakewood Church's book ...

“Tesla Crash” Website — Connecticut Auto Dealers Association Makes Anti-Tesla Website Referencing Content ...
... it simply can’t be helped. Case in point: the Connecticut Auto Dealers Association recently put together a new anti-Tesla website referencing ...