Question on hosting sites?

 how are sites hosted if the server is windows, do they use IIS to host the sites or something else.

if IIS is used to host the sites then how to create domains in IIS

if not IIS then how to create domains for sites. do they use any tool or third party softwares.

what about linux servers? how are sites hosted there

0
sriharsha2410
4/25/2009 9:19:55 AM
asp.net.web-hosting 912 articles. 0 followers. Follow

sriharsha2410:
how are sites hosted if the server is windows, do they use IIS to host the sites or something else.

if IIS is used to host the sites then how to create domains in IIS

if not IIS then how to create domains for sites. do they use any tool or third party softwares.

If it is a Windows Server they will use IIS (some Windows hosting companies also run PHP under IIS as well too)

They don't create domains in IIS they create Sites and map the domain to the Site using either (single IP address) or (IP address & host header), they also create DNS entries that point your domain name to the IP address (Site) they created once this is done you update your domain name to point to the hosting companies DNS servers (you do this via the company that you registered your domain name).

A lot of hosting companies will use tools like Parallels Plesk to manage servers

Linux servers are a little different in setup (they use Apache rather than IIS) and there is a Parallels Plesk for linux too.  Setting up Apache for Sites is different than IIS, I don't have that much experience with it.

- William

Give some of my PWSK modules a try.
0
whighfield
4/25/2009 7:44:46 PM

Hello,

You should buy a domain name from Domain Name Register, and after that to point that domain to your hosting server through DNS settings.

Regards

Windows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting
0
HostingASPNet
4/26/2009 9:49:50 PM

sriharsha2410:

 how are sites hosted if the server is windows, do they use IIS to host the sites or something else.

if IIS is used to host the sites then how to create domains in IIS

if not IIS then how to create domains for sites. do they use any tool or third party softwares.

what about linux servers? how are sites hosted there

Hi,

Normally, Windows hosting are hosted with IIS.

Depends on the hosting provider, now you can create domain easily on the hosting control panel system. For example, many Windows hosting company used Plesk at the control panel system for their clients. You can also register domain name with domain registrar such as Namecheap or Godaddy, most hosting companies right now do provide domain name registration services where they can handle all the domain name setup for you.

For Linux servers, the procedure is almost the same with Windows hosting, you can manage your hosting account with popular control panel such as CPanel. The main difference is we cannot host asp website on Linux servers.

Cheers!

Roy Trevor

Following latest ASP hosting technologies. :)

**Please "Mark as Answer" if this post helps you. If you need more clarification, please reply to me.
0
rtccroy
4/27/2009 10:01:15 AM

well if that is the case then i have another doubt?

let us suppose if i have a server at home and i want to host a site on it with my own domain. how can i do that. is it possible of me to do as i said. do i need any other things to maintain a server at home. if i maintain a server at home then is it possible to create my own domain.

0
sriharsha2410
4/27/2009 5:20:05 PM

Most of your hosting companies and server companies offer a Control panel which will integrate or work along side of IIS to add domains delete domains and admin the website. I would not recommended hosting your websites at your house. First most ISPs close port 80 and port 25  (web and email). And you will need a static ip or and ip outside your network that will point to your home address and update if your ip is not static. You would be better with just a simple hosting account. If you want to work on a server and learn then I would recommend a managed VPS. You would have full admin rights and be able to host your sites. Plus if you break something you could ask for assistance and or have the issues resolved by the host who is supporting you. If you do go that route I would look at Server Intellect for a VPS or Dedicated Server. Btw IIS7 is now out so a lot of your windows host are moving to that platform. Very stable and allows a lot of configurations.

0
GoodmanRK

Question about a Web Hosting Site....
Hey everyone,     I think I'm finally going to pay someone to host my sites due to the fact that my connection is starting to bog down due to traffic.  I renecently came across a company called www.Brinkster.com and they have a hosting package that is killer and only costs $7.00 a month (more info here).  I found them at www.aspfree.net .  I was hoping that someone might know something about them and if they are worth going with... I mean you cant pass up 200GB of storage for $7.00.QWERTYtechQWERTYtech Hello, If you like their hosting plans and prices yo...

Help! Web Express and Hosted Web Site / Access Remote Connection Question
Hi.. I'm lost here.. I just downloaded and installed Web Express.. I read the help files, but I'm having problems getting my Access Database connection.. I have my Access Databaes in the "Data_App" folder at my web host.. When I try to use the OLEDB provider for Jet, I keep getting a File not found message box, and the message box seems to be pointing to the place that Web Express uses as a temp file or something.. It's a local address in the message box, although I'm trying to get a connection to the access db on the web server.. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE TELL me how to connect to my Access...

Migrating .Net to a web site host
I can build sites and would like to build a site to sell some stuff online, or at least try my luck at doing so. Got to figure out some way to pay those student loans off... Anyway, here are my questions:  1. Should I use Sessions or something else? 2. Do most web hosts provide Oracle or some other DB to store customer info and product info? 3. Should I store customer purchases or just have the page email me the form? 4. Should I tie to PayPal or use Visa/Mastercard, etc.? 5. How do you migrate the .Net code, etc. to the host site?   I'm sure I have other questions which...

Question about web hosting DNN sites
Alright, I have managed to somehow get 3 clients to pay for my services. :-) Now, I need to deploy. Here's my dilema: I want to host my own development site as well as my 3 client sites, all of which will require their own domains: www.mydevcompany.com www.myclient1.com www.myclient2.com www.myclient3.com What is the best way to set this up (I am looking at Tactical and WH4L as possible hosts) ? Are each of the sites (all 4) going to require have 4 DNN core setups? Or is there a way to have one "base" DNN code core? Anyone care to share their thoughts an...

which web hosting site u r using to host the classifieds starter kit?
Hello to all, I want to know which web hosting sirte u r using to host the classifed starter kit of asp.net..... actually i have tried manashosting.com and quick2host.com but i m not able to make the working. There are alot of limitations regarding ms sql 2005 databases.... i have purchased web space from manashosging.com for Rs. 2000 and from quick2host.com for Rs. 1250 and as a result of this  i have wasted Rs 3250 for web space but still now i m not able to make the classifieds starter kit working....... any body who have successfully hosted the classifeds starter of Asp.net, p...

How to config Web Site Administration Tool in web hosting 's site?
I 'm uploading my website to Web Hosting site for the first time , Everything went well until i realized that i can't login . The problem is when created login form i use Login and CreateUserWizard tools of asp.net and Web Site Administration Tool to create a database to store registered user in App_Data folder , now i don't know where to change connection string in Web hosting page (there 's no Web Site Administration Tool ), the connection string 's not in web.config file nor any code behind file . So my question is how to config it and also another Web Site Admi...

web pages hosting: not a web site
Hello, Is there something like yahoo Geocities for hosting 3-5 web page for a couple of months. I am not comfortable with the yahoo style php etc. This is for a short term flee market hosted by my child's school. Thanks, raghu  Have a look at BrinksterRegards Mike [MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]My site Thanks, Will check this out tonight.  The control panel is hard to get around. I never thought this will get so cumbersome. Upon a google search for "free web pages" , I get a bunch of sites, any thoughts on:http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Web_Space/ http://prohostin...

C# web service and web site hosting
I have developed a web service and consuming web site using asp.net 2.0 with visual studio 2005. I was wondering if there's any free web hosts I could host my service and website on?  you can try http://www.discountasp.net/ free for 3 month.Girijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/ hi, My advice is to test and find reliable hosting provider for a good cost - $5 - $20 per month, also many hosting companies provides Money Back Guarantee. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting You could try AspSpider.net for testing to make sure ever...

Beginner needs help publishing .NET site to web host (you know you want to!)
Hi, I have no idea what I am missing here- but I cannot make my application work on my web host's serverI have visual studio 2005 - I have created a basic application that works perfectly when i select the 'View in Browser' option. Simple stuff... just a hello world sort of thing.I have a hosting account with a web host who provide .NET support. Am I sure that .NET is installed? If i type in an ASPX file name that doesn't exit, I get a "Server Error in '/' Application" - The Resource cannot be found. I also displays Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; AS...

To Self Host or not to Self Host ? That is the question!
I own a software design business and have recently has to cut my budget. I currently pay about $300 a month for hosting/database/project management hosting etc services and I would like to reduce this drastically. I would like to work on a website project and I sort of need to have my own development, QA and Production environments set up. Problem is I am now on a budget and so can not afford the high end VPS or Dedicated Server hosting package at this time. I would also like to have my own Subversion server hosting, as well as gantt hosting and cruisecontrol hosting so I can work on mult...

web hosting question
Please advise which of the following is the best option and why: 1) Test a new web site on the same box where a permanent web site is running. 2) Test a new web site on a separate box all by itself. 3) Test the new web site on localhost and release. Thanks.      Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer" I think what you're going to run into here, is each person's opinion - however, IMHO, the least of the three would be the test on localhost and then release  - unless you are really confident in your environment. Personally, though it's n...

Web site hosting
Question for you folks, about hosting services. I'm looking at california.com, which is what someone who wants to set up a site has said s/he wants to use. I'm with 1&1. Looking at the numbers, California.com doesn't even seem in the running. California 1&1 $25/month $10/month 25 mailboxes 2500 mailboxes 250 MB web 250 GB web 1 domain 3 domains This person seems to want California.com. I feel like it's my duty to point out the discrepancies. But maybe there's something I'm missing. I don't see ...

web site hosting
Hi All,I just want to know the various best practises for web site hostingon the basis of 1.Easy to deploy2.Better security3.Good performance interms of handiling numerous simulataneous requests.Iam using .Net 1.1 and in my web site iam using .net forms authenticationhelp with any articles Thanks in advanceSrinivas VJunior Programmer,India...

HOSTING THE WEB SITE
EY! I've finished my ecommerce site using this great tool! I've used the Commerce Kit with MSDE, However I dont know where can I host it for free, and having a domain maybe just for a month to make some experiments and to let all the asp community to visit it! ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA? Thanxs, guyz http://www.webstrikesolutions.com lets you have one free year of webhosting. No catches, you can choose not to continue at the end of that year. SQL hosting might cost extra though, don't know about that. -Craig U-Sports.net - Taking Fantasy Football to School I found an awesome site! ...

Web resources about - Question on hosting sites? - asp.net.web-hosting

Royal commission questions donations from Tradies clubs to union charity
Royal commission questions donations from the Tradies clubs to CFMEU charity.

Geraldton pilot pops question after mid-air drama and emergency paddock landing
Every engagement proposal needs a great story behind it, but a Geraldton couple may have set the limit with a mid-air engine drama ...

Question of the Day: Most heinous act of badge engineering?
Filed under: Chrysler , Dodge , Misc. Automakers , Mitsubishi , Nissan , Suzuki , Automotive History When GM sold the Isuzu Faster pickup as ...

Put on the spot by a question at a town hall, Hillary Clinton calls what is happening to Christians in ...
A member of the audience asked (and I'm assuming this wasn't a plant): "Will you join those leaders, faith leaders and secular leaders and political ...

7 Questions for Those Who Claim Islam is "Just Another Religion"
Offered up by our long-suffering Summer Intern @BiffSpackle : Democrats, progressives, and other miscreants: please feel free to answer any or ...

No More GOP? The Democratic Party Will Welcome You, No Questions Asked
Tuesday morning I woke up at 4am. It was still dark so I reached for the channel changer and switched the TV on. It was Eugene Robinson, one ...

This is the big legal question at the heart of the sexual assault case against Bill Cosby
Bill Cosby has been charged with aggravated indecent assault of one woman after dozens of others came forward in the past year to claim the comedian ...

Question #8 for 2016: How much will Residential Investment increase?
Over the weekend, I posted some questions for next year: Ten Economic Questions for 2016 . I'll try to add some thoughts, and maybe some predictions ...

According to This Simple Hypothetical Canine-Fashion Question There are Only Two Kinds of People, Which ...
Submitted by: Tagged: dogs , fashion , twitter , list , internet , pants , argument , hypothetical Share on Facebook