Error message 401.2.: Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration. - Help me configure my IIS 6 server... (prompts for password but doesn't take)

I have an ASP.NET 3.5 application deployed to Windows Server 2003 running on IIS.

I created a custom application pool with a domain account "domain\WebApp" which the application pool runs as the identity for.  This account has membership in the aspnetdb on SQL Server 2005 under the "aspnet_Roles_FullAccess" role in that database so that it can work with the SQL roles provider.

My application uses Windows Authentication (and this all works fine when I'm testing on my dev machine inside VS 2008).

I ran aspnet_regiis -ga on the domain account and granted it access to the location on the IIS server's hard drive where the website files are stored.

However, the problem I'm haivng now is that when I browse to the site I get:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Access is denied.

Error message 401.2.: Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration.  Verify that you have permission to view this directory or page based on the credentials you supplied and the authentication methods enabled on the Web server.  Contact the Web server's administrator for additional assistance.

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

------

Now I have another problem as well, when I go into IIS and go into Web Sites --> (my website) --> Web Site Properties --> Directory Security --> Authentication an dAccess Control --> EDIT --> and UNCHECK "Enable anonymous access" and instead check "Integrated Windows Authentication" instead of that error above I get windows login popup window:

 "Connect to IIS-ServerName.FQDN.com"
Connecting to ServerName
User Name:
Password:

OK/Cancel

So I enter my domain\username and the password then I click OK. It doesn't take. I enter it again and on the third time I get:

You are not authorized to view this page

Please try the following:

  • Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page.
  • Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials.

HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

  • Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 401.
  • Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Authentication, Access Control, and About Custom Error Messages.

What am I doing wrong here, anyone?

0
Maxer_Ars
5/12/2008 6:42:18 PM
asp.net.web-hosting 912 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Nevermind, I found the work around: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871179

Apparently I just had bad luck in my search the first time around....

QUESTION though: So that work around for Kerberos - it sounds like you can only use it once per IIS Server??? So what if you have 5 applications each with their own application pool and you need to use kerberos for all of them with windows authentication?

Are you out of luck there?

0
Maxer_Ars
5/12/2008 7:10:33 PM

Maxer_Ars:
Are you out of luck there?

As far as ASP.NET solutions, yes.  But if you post in the IIS forums at www.iis.net you might find help.

Jeff

jeff
5/13/2008 12:21:06 PM

It's a permissions issue. Be sure you have these following accounts:

Administrator, Administrators
ASP.NET
Creator Owner, Creator Group
Everyone (sometimes needed)
IUSER, IWAM
SYSTEM

Set them with modify access or full.  See if this works.

Robert Williams, Owner
Williams Web Solutions
www.williamswebsolutions.net
  • Website design & redesign
  • Website & e-mail hosting
0
rfwilliams777

Win 2003 web server on LAN with iis 6.0 and .net 2.0 doesn't return HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name value
Hi. I'm accessing a Win 2003 web server on LAN with iis 6.0 and .net 2.0 that doesn't reuturn HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name value in asp.net 2.0 c# although I am logged on to the network domain.  Any advice on why and how to rectify this? The web.config file has authentication mode="Windows" set.  Thanks for any help!...

HTTP Error 401.2
BM 3.8sp2 sry071 NW 6.5sp2 I have a couple of web sites that my BM proxy is not allowing access to. I keep getting 401 errors: HTTP Error 401.2 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to server configuration. Internet Information Services (IIS) The other just comes back with: Error: Access is Denied. No login prompt. Not anything. This is if I use IE - proxy settings turned on/off - it doesn't matter. If I use Firefox, I get prompted for authentication, but it never allows me in. If I bypass BM, there is no problem. I am not sure where to go with this. Any ideas?...

Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration
i try to test and use my web app but got an error. i use Active Directory to local intranet access of my company. never got that type of issue before, any idea why ? http://kirsql10/PSIOPS/ Server: 2003, IIS 6.NET: 3.5SQL Server 2005 Access is denied. Description: An error occurred while accessing the resources required to serve this request. The server may not be configured for access to the requested URL. Error message 401.2.: Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration.  Verify that you have permission to view this directory or page based on the cre...

Receiving error message "SERVER FAILED TO CONFIGURE THE SERVER."
I installed Micrsoft Server Desktop Engine from the CD I received in my ASP.net book. The installation went fine and then I went to the DOS prompt and did the "setup SAPWD..." and it ran. I restarted my computer and opened ASP Matrix and went to the Data tab and proceed to connect to the server. It gave me an error message it couldn't connect. So I uninstalled MSDE and made sure the sql2ksp3 folder was gone. So I went ahead and installed the MSDE again from the CD again and then went to DOS to do the setup. It ran through the setup until the very end with 11 seconds remaining a...

server error message. Server doesn't have administrative privileges?
Hi there, I met following error message in JaguarCTS server log(srv.log) when I tried to connect Jaguar as WinNT OS User instead of jagadmin. I checked check box 'Enable OS Authentication' in Security tab of Jaguar Server Properties. I want to know exact meaning of following messages and how can I fix following problems? --------------------------------------------- Jun 04 10:37:24 1999: SQLException after JDBC getConnection():JZ006: Caught IOException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused Jun 04 10:37:42 1999: AFLIB Message: 18046/11/0: Couldn't authent...

Error Configuring ZPM Server Web Server
I'm getting this error when installing ZPM 6.4 on a new VMWare Windows Server 2003 server: "Error configuring Novell ZENworks Patch Management Server Web Server." The error occurs after SQL Express has installed and configured. The only option is to select OK and then cancel the install. No apparent errors in the event logs. I looked at the IIS Manager before allowing the uninstall and see the Novell ZENworks Patch Managment Server installed. The VMWare server was created by copying a functioning server image...very vanilla. I ran all Windows updates and installe...

EAS 6.2 Message Service doesn't synch queues among servers
I am using Message Service on a 2-server cluster of EAS 6.2. I have a queue "millardTest" on both servers. As I understood it, when you cluster servers, there is a single message queue for the entire cluster, and each instance refers to that queue. However, it appears that there is no commonality whatever among queues with the same name. Whatever I do to the the queue on one server does not show up on the other. The message.db data source on both instances points to the default ASA database. This is, of course, different for each server. Is that the problem? Does ...

Server Error in '/' Application using CSK on web-host-plus servers
Hi, I have the CSK working pretty well at home on my own servers, but once I put it out "in the world", I started getting this error: Server Error in '/' Application. Security Exception Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file. Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Configuration.ConfigurationPermission, ...

Configuration Error "Parser Error Message: Server cannot read capabilities configuration ` "
I am a beginner in developing asp.net application. Please review the way i have set up the server and deveopment codea) I have installed IIS on the server running Windows XP Professional. Thereafter I have installed .NET framework 1.1 on the server. b) I have installed Visual Studio Net 2003 on the production machine. I am making the application from this machine.Alll is working fine, but frequently many a times i get the following error when i try to view the page Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service t...

VS.NET 2003 won't let me debug an IIS 6 site configured using host headers
Hello, I desperately need some assistance with a problem I've already spent 2 days on, without much luck. I'm running Windows Server 2003 R2 with Service Pack 1, IIS 6.0, and the problem is specific to debugging in Visual Studio .NET 2003 with Service Pack 1. To keep my development environment consistent with the sites as they appear on the production servers, I created several sites in IIS on port 80 using the default IP address, differentiated by host headers. My hosts file contains the necessary entries pointing back to 127.0.0.1, I've added all the host header URLs to my Trusted Sites...

Configuration Error ~ Server Error in '/' Application
Hi everybody, I have uploaded my web application to my webhoster but I receive the following error when I 'run' my website from the remote host.Server Error in '/' Application. Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or the conne...

Server Error in '/' Application. Configuration Error
hii have a web service on web server.i have a windows application on my local computer.i want to use that web service, as a web reference, but it cause the following error:  Server Error in '/' Application. Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caus...

Server Error in '/' Application. Configuration Error.
 Hi, I have a problem. My asp.net website runs fine on my local server. I use Cassini. But on most of the other computers that I have tested my website, it reports error. Here's the error:   Please help, it's urgent!P.S. I'm newbie!  :) The image is not visible in my browserJoydeep SenDotnet DeveloperDont forget to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers  Server Error in '/' Application. __________________________________...

401.1 Error / Server Execution Failed errors in IIS after re-installing windows 2003 server
Hiya All! My company began using windows 2003 enterprise server about 5 months ago with an evaluation copy. It worked fine... However, we have just purchased the full version and after installing it, I am getting a 401.1 error on our sites (all of them) and when I attempt to open the "properties | home directory" window, I get a popup after about a 3-5 minute lock that says "Server Execution Failed". Any idea how I can fix this quickly? Thanks! Dave Larson Look for Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 247593 http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...

Web resources about - Error message 401.2.: Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration. - Help me configure my IIS 6 server... (prompts for password but doesn't take) - asp.net.web-hosting