dumb question about website....

this is probably a dumb question but.....

how is it possible to have a link to a website like this:

www.mysite.com/phipsi

and yet....in the root directory of the website, there isn't a file or a folder called "phipsi"?

0
threeo
4/30/2009 8:26:25 PM
asp.net.web-hosting 912 articles. 0 followers. Follow

there is probably a folder named 'phipsi' with files in it

David Wier
MCP/ASPInsider
ASPNet101.com - where to look first!
augustwind
4/30/2009 9:09:10 PM

threeo:

www.mysite.com/phipsi

and yet....in the root directory of the website, there isn't a file or a folder called "phipsi"?

May be Url Rewriting

My Blog

"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right."
0
budugu
5/1/2009 8:28:13 PM

Hello,

Yes, most probably is URL rewriting.

Regards

Windows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting
0
HostingASPNet

Amazon Web Services: Hosting a .net website on the Elastic Computing Cloud
Hi - we are currently developing a software as a service project in .net and we are thinking about using the aws ec2 for scalability. Has anyone experience with this? What are the gotcha's and best practices? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.   Oliver I would also be very interested by the answer. Although, since EC2 does not support Windows Server; this is probably quite a painful path. Best regards,Joannèslokad.com demand forecasting  anyone know how this worked out, or if their elastic cloud works well for hosting asp.net sites?  I could currently cut my s...

how to convert vb.net website to csharp.net web site
Can we convert a website(VB.NET) to csharp.net website in VS2005???mahmood Why do you want to convert VB into C#? you can create new modules for the site in C#, and they can co-exist in the same system. If you have some specific requirements, then use online tools to convert vb.net into c# to convert the codebehind files. Most probably the .aspx file will remain unchanged, but you might need to make some changes here and there.You will get lots of converters online by just googling it. I would strongly recommend avoiding converting codes, as I have faced the horrors of the process. Pr...

web hosting question
Please advise which of the following is the best option and why: 1) Test a new web site on the same box where a permanent web site is running. 2) Test a new web site on a separate box all by itself. 3) Test the new web site on localhost and release. Thanks.      Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer" I think what you're going to run into here, is each person's opinion - however, IMHO, the least of the three would be the test on localhost and then release  - unless you are really confident in your environment. Personally, though it's n...

Help! Web Express and Hosted Web Site / Access Remote Connection Question
Hi.. I'm lost here.. I just downloaded and installed Web Express.. I read the help files, but I'm having problems getting my Access Database connection.. I have my Access Databaes in the "Data_App" folder at my web host.. When I try to use the OLEDB provider for Jet, I keep getting a File not found message box, and the message box seems to be pointing to the place that Web Express uses as a temp file or something.. It's a local address in the message box, although I'm trying to get a connection to the access db on the web server.. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE TELL me how to connect to my Access...

Website Hosting Question
 Developer has made a website for me. I want to upload self (For learning Purpose). I have purchase a linux Hosting. I have check to upload to another file.It is working good.but  there is not index.htm  {which is given file by the developer) There is a MasterPage (Master file) in place of index.htm. There is also available web.config (CONFIG file).when I upload in www directory(which is given by developer).           there are error " You don't have permission to access / on this server." Please suggest and h...

Exception while calling .NET web service | System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
Hi,   We have written a .NET web service which retrieves an xml file from the database. This web service is SSL secured and requires client certificates for connection.   Problem: The web service is throwing an exception while retrieving large files. It works fine when the file size is around 1 MB, but fails with a file size of around 65 MB with the following exception: System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (1, 38455668). ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: ...

question about bandwidth and web hosts
when a web host says you have X amount of bandwidth per month what happens when you exceed this and how do they measure this (web logging?) ? I thought you had a fixed bandwidth (connection) and that was it, not "per month" which must be data transferred. Andrew Andrew Crook wrote in news:bm6ij5$eav$2@news.grc.com: > when a web host says you have X amount of bandwidth per month what > happens when you exceed this and how do they measure this (web > logging?) ? > > I thought you had a fixed bandwidth (connection) and that was it, > not "per m...

Web host interactivity question
Please respond to me directly as well as I have limited list access. I need to know if the following scenario is possible before I put forth the effort. I am running on a Sun server. 1. Read a database for packages which need tracking/delivery information. 2. format an HTML URL request based on carrier specifics. 3. Send the URL request to the carrier's online servers (UPS, fedex for example) 4. Receive back the page with package tracking information 5. Parse the page contents for the tags which will give me the tracking information I need. 6. Update the database wit...

Web/Mail host questions
My current hosting plan payment is due so now is a good time to consider alternate hosting solutions. I've been hosted at Pair.com for over a decade, on their "advanced" plan. This is now costing me about $185 per year, and I need to cut expenses. However, I don't want to reduce what I can do. So I'm asking for recommendations on cheaper alternatives. For comparison, what I currently have is a FreeBSD based server, PHP/CGI/etc, up to 20 SQL databases, web/pop/imap email with SSL and spam filtering, 100GB/mo bandwidth, 20GB storage, FTP and SSH access, cron...

question about web host requirements
 I am checking into where to host my Asp.Net web.I checked with a web host that currently has one of my Front Page Websites Facts & Questions page and it states:" On our Windows hosting plan, we do support ASP.NET. We have both 1.1.4322.0 and 2.0.50727.0 versions on the server. You are able to select between the 2 for each of your domain(s) in Plesk under ASP.NET, Change Version. " I don't know if this is what I need. I just built a web with Visual Studio .NET 2008 (v.3.5). Rachel Hi, you can always ask your hosting support team if they have the .NET 3...

General Web Hosting Questions
I did a few searches and didn't see anything that answered these questions, so hopefully I'm not creating an unnecessary thread here... 1. As I understand it, hosting a website and database on one server generally slows down the performance of the website.  If you're running a site that has, say, 500 hits and 2000 page views per day, is this degradation of performance going to be noticeable? 2. I recently discovered that my web hosting provider supports MS SQL 2000, but not 2005 (no wonder it was so inexpensive!).  It's just a personal website and I'm still testing and tinkering ...

.NET noob hosting questions
I'm working on a project at work to create a hosting environment for .NET apps using 2k3/iis6/2.0. I also run a little side business hosting email/websites for friends & family using the typical $30 a month reseller pack linux/php/cpanel, you know the drill. I'm looking to kill two birds with one stone here, I'd like to move my side business to a .NET based host AND be able to host .NET applications.  I'm kinda using my personal stuff as training.  I figure I learn to create and host some apps on my own, I'll design a better environment at work, as I'll have a littl...

Question about a Web Hosting Site....
Hey everyone,     I think I'm finally going to pay someone to host my sites due to the fact that my connection is starting to bog down due to traffic.  I renecently came across a company called www.Brinkster.com and they have a hosting package that is killer and only costs $7.00 a month (more info here).  I found them at www.aspfree.net .  I was hoping that someone might know something about them and if they are worth going with... I mean you cant pass up 200GB of storage for $7.00.QWERTYtechQWERTYtech Hello, If you like their hosting plans and prices yo...

Web resources about - dumb question about website.... - asp.net.web-hosting

Australia vs New Zealand Cricket Third Test: Mitchell Starc batting with foot injury raises questions ...
Steve Smith has defended the strange decision to send Mitchell Starc out to bat with a broken foot when only two runs were required for victory ...

Police question owner of dumped vehicle in Andrew Carville murder investigation
Police attempt to piece together the last movements of Evatt man Andrew Carville whose body was found on November 19.

Geraldo Rivera Didn’t Get to Question Pres. Obama in Paris
Fox News host Geraldo Rivera can’t catch a break. He’s in Paris reporting on the aftermath of the terror attacks ( which hit close to home ) ...

Dwight Howard on If He Learned Anything from Kobe Bryant: 'Next Question' - Bleacher Report
The basketball world had itself a love-fest for Kobe Bryant on Sunday night. Everyone except Dwight Howard took part in it...

Race is a "broad and protean" matter, presenting "rich, difficult questions," and "Any insistence otherwise ...
John McWhorter writes, in a WSJ piece, "Closed Minds on Campus" : The idea that only the naive or the immoral would question issues connected ...

GOP rivals question Trump's ability to be president - Videos - CBS News
Donald Trump meets Monday with a large group of African-American religious leaders, but he's canceled a news conference to talk about it. Some ...

Judge applies common sense to question of what constitutes a data breach
Enterprise security is a frustrating game, because IT winning 99.9% of the time isn’t enough. One lucky cyberthief or one careless employee — ...

Ask Me Anything: Questions 1 & 2
I recently started a new feature where you can ask me anything by recording a video. Turns out that I got two closely related questions about ...

Questions Raised About Another Shaun King Claim
Questions Raised About Another Shaun King Claim