can VS.NET be installed on Windows server 2003?

Hi, i was wondering if VS.NET can be installed on a Windows server 2003 operating system without ANY problems?.

Is there anything i should know about?.
Thanks :)
0
badbanana
6/8/2004 1:20:23 PM
asp.net.web-hosting 912 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Should work just fine.

Make sure you have IIS and Frontpage installed before you run VS Setup if you want to do Webdevelopment
HTH

Mike Kostersitz
Microsoft Customer Support Services

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Script samples are subject to the terms at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"
0
mkostersitz
6/9/2004 7:49:27 AM
but isnt IIS installed by default?
0
badbanana
6/9/2004 12:47:03 PM
I believe IIS6 is _not_ installed by default on Windows Server 2003.
Technical Account Manager
Microsoft Communication Sector North America
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Script samples are subject to the terms at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"
0
jjstreic
6/9/2004 2:24:11 PM
ok, but IIS6 is included in Windows server 2003?, i hope? :)
0
badbanana
6/10/2004 9:25:10 AM
Just to clarify. IIS 6 is NOT install by default, except for Web edition.
Cheers,
Bernard Cheah
0
qbernard
6/11/2004 2:10:53 AM
Ok, but if i buy the windows server 2003, do i get IIS 6 too?
0
badbanana
6/11/2004 9:30:35 AM
yes.
0
mbaldwin
6/12/2004 7:43:15 AM
Was the original question of this thread inquiring about installing Visual Studio .NET onto a production Web server, or on a test/development Web server?
Matthew Boettcher
Web Platform Technical Evangelist (Hosting)
Developer & Platform Evangelism Division (DPE)
Europe, Middle East, and Africa Region (EMEA)
Microsoft Corporation
0
Matthew
6/17/2004 11:45:50 PM
errr.. does it make any difference ?
Cheers,
Bernard Cheah
0
qbernard
6/21/2004 2:23:29 AM
Seeking to clarify that VS.NET and its required components generally shouldn't be installed on a front-end Web server as a recommended security practice of minimal exposure. I'm asked about this often as VS.NET uses FrontPage Server Extensions for file upload and requires several utilities during installation. Instead use VS.NET on a non-front-end Web server and provide the packaged application files directly to a hosting administrator for back-to-front deployment, or use a direct user-specific FTP account connection.

To the version and default components questions in the thread, IIS 6.0 is the version that comes with Windows 2003. IIS is now a component element under the "Application Server" section heading. By default on the Standard and Enterprise editions none of the Application Server component elements are installed at the time of OS deployment (unless specified to do so by an answer file or contained in an imaged configuration). By default on the Web edition though, some of those components are indeed installed. Specifically those are:
Application Server
•Enable Network COM+ Access
•IIS – Common Files
•IIS – IIS Manager
•IIS – SMTP Service
•IIS – WWW Service – Active Server Pages
•IIS – WWW Service – Remote Administration (HTML)
•IIS – WWW Service – World Wide Web Service
For hosting adminstrators there are a couple of points to keep in mind about these default Web edition elements. First is that the ASP.NET component element is still not installed by default; you'll have to run the components setup to get that one. Second, some of these elements you may also not generally want to have running on a front-end Web server unless there is a specific service requirement. Best recommendation is to use a pre-configured unattended install method that has your elements of choice included, or use image deployment. You can learn about Automated Deployment Services (ADS) at: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/adsbenefits.mspx

For Visual Studio .NET, these are the minimal required Application Server components:
Application Server
•Enable Network COM+ Access
•IIS – Common Files
•IIS – FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions
•IIS – IIS Manager
•IIS – WWW Service – World Wide Web Service
The VS.NET setup will then install a few more utilities (FrontPage 2000 Web Extensions Client, Setup Runtime Files, Visual J# .NET Redistributable Package).

Matthew Boettcher
Web Platform Technical Evangelist (Hosting)
Developer & Platform Evangelism Division (DPE)
Europe, Middle East, and Africa Region (EMEA)
Microsoft Corporation
0
Matthew
6/21/2004 8:57:51 PM
You missed out -

IIS - NNTP Service
Cheers,
Bernard Cheah
0
qbernard
6/22/2004 5:59:38 AM
Not sure I understand the reply. NNTP isn't a default element of Web Edition or required for Visual Studio.NET
Matthew Boettcher
Web Platform Technical Evangelist (Hosting)
Developer & Platform Evangelism Division (DPE)
Europe, Middle East, and Africa Region (EMEA)
Microsoft Corporation
0
Matthew

VS .Net 2003 remote web project, windows xp & windows server 2003 setup
Hi everyone, I have a windows server 2003 setup as a server with IIS 6 & VS 2003 .Net I created an account programmatically for a user with frontpage extensions 2002. The accont works fine when using VS Studion .Net 2003 on the server machine however when I try to create a web project using a windows xp client machine with VS .Net 2003 it fails with a combination of "this user is not a member of the author group" (the user is setup as an administrator on the server and also has administrator front page author privilege) & the user has correct inheritable privileges on th...

HELP
I am having troubles understanding what I need to do to integrate Visual Basic .NET 2003 with IIS 6.0, where VS.NET is installed on my Windows 2000 machine, but the IIS is running on a separate Windows 2003 Server.We purchase Visual Basic .NET Standard.   I assume that is all that is required for creating ASP.NET pages, Web services and Web applications?We ran the setup on the Windows 2000 machine.   The prerequisites were installed, followed by VB.NET.   We installed the .NET Framework 1.1 SDK and then the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1.On the Windows 2...

Can I install and use my VS.NET 2002 MSDN Help in VS.NET 2003?
Hi! I would like to know if I could install MSDN help from VS.NET 2002 (Architect) for VS.NET 2003 (Architect). Thanks! :)...

Can you have VS .net 2003 AND VS.net 2005 Beta 2 installed on same machine?
Right now I have Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 installed on my machine, but I also need to put on the Visual Studio 2003 Professional to work with some older projects. Can I installed the Visual Studio 2003 Professional on the same machine with out messing anything up?Thanks Yes you can have them side by side!   Also see http://blogs.msdn.com/robcaron/archive/2005/04/20/410224.aspx link of Robcorn, it also could helps you!Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti great thanks, I am installing the 2003 version now on my machine that already has the ...

Installing PortalVBVS into VS.net on .NET Server 2003
I've been trying all day to get the VB version installed, without success. I need help with two things - getting it configured in VS.Net, and getting the web.config connection string right. I've run the installer and have the files on c:\PortalVBVS. I've created a virtual web called "PortalVB" which points at c:\PortalVBVS\PortalVBVS. When I browse with IIS Manager I see the subdirectories as I should. I've created a database called Portal on MSDE running on the same server, and populated it by running the Portaldb.sql script. I see tables and columns, and I can retriev...

Can I install Visual Basic 6 on my machine which has VS.NET 2003 & VS.NET 2005?
I may have a need to use Visual Basic 6 for a legacy project in the near future.  I was wondering if I can install VB6 on my machine which already has VS.NET 2003 & VS.NET 2005 installed on it? I did not know if doing so would cause issues or not so thought I would ask before just leaping and doing.   Ira Richard Smith At one time i had to install Visual Basic 6 on my machine with VS.NET 2003 and had "NO" issues. I would suggest take a backup of your machine or a restore point before you proceed. Please post your experience. I am sure some one would appreci...

I can't open .net web application from VS.NET 2003
I try to open one .net based web application from VS.Net 2003 in my Windows 2K server, get following error message "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1" and also tried to command line command aspnet_iisreg /i and aspnet_iisreg /r but didn't work. Could somebody give me some idea to solve this issue? Thanks a lot! Check if iis is installed and running if yes then uninstall .Net Frame work and install it again. I got same error few months ago and solved it by using above option. Arvind Malik First, I would see...

IIS server works with vs.net but not vs.net 2003 ?
Trying to program in asp.net 1.1 via visual studio and running IIS 5.1. After getting asp.net to work, i am getting the dreaded '...Internal Server Error 500..." if I try to start a new Solution in VS.Net 2003. However, VS.Net will allow me to start a web application with no problems. Truth is stranger than fiction, but nothing is stranger than visual studio.... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

Can I go from VS .NET 2003 to Visual Basic .NET 2003?
Hi, I just developed a commercial application using the trial version of Visual Studio .NET 2003.  My trial is about to expire.  I was hoping .NET 2.0 would be released by now, but that is obviously months away so I'm wondering if I could save a few hundred bucks by buying Visual Basic .NET 2003(around $110 i think) instead of having to buy Visual Studio .NET 2003, which I believe is up around $600 or so.   All my code is Visual Basic, so that's why I'm thinking that's all I need.  And it's mostly web development that I do if that matters.  T...

Can I buy VB .NET 2003 instead of VS .NET 2003?
Hi if I code my web applications using just Visual Basic can I buy Visual Basic .NET 2003 instead of having to buy the whole Visual Studio .NET 2003?  Will that work the same?  Thanks Hi,     When I got VB.NET 2003, it included VS.NET 2003 (Standard Edition).  I don't think there is a version of VB.NET 2003 that doesn't include VS.NET as the IDE.  While there are some projects templates that are not include in the standard edition, you still have the ASP.NET web application, web service, win forms, etc..., projects available.  If you are asking...

Can i unstall vs.net 2002 after upgrading to vs.net 2003
Can I unsatll visual studio .net 2002 after using the upgrade to visual studio .net 2003. Thers seems to be two version in my programs list. I would like to free up the hard disk space from the previous install. In brief does the upgrade install which appears to be independent of the 2002 install rely on the 2002 install. In my programs I can run 2002 or 2003. However my machine is an older notebook that has limeted hard disk space. thanks in advance Charles Beasley Please replace "unstall" and "unsatll" with the word "uninstall" and in general excu...

both VS .NET 2003 AND VS .NET 2005 ARE INSTALLED SAME COMPUTER. IT IS POSSABLE
Edited by moderator XIII: please use a normal font size: Hi I have my computer Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Framwork 1.1 and all propram are runing VS .NET 2003 . I want to load my computer VS .NET 2005 and Framwork 2.0. I am not Interest to uninstalled VS .NET 2003 AND Framwork 1.1. I want both VS .NET 2003 AND VS .NET 2005 ARE INSTALLED SAME COMPUTER. IT IS POSSABLE . PLEASE HELP ME. IF ANY PROBLEM ARE THER IF VS ..NET 2003 AND 2005 ARE SAME COMPUTER. Please help me. Saikat Hi, I have both the frameworks and IDE's installed on my dev laptop without any problems. However if you wish t...

convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003
hi how can i convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003 and how i know that the application is made in vs.net 2002 and not in vs.net 2003 and thank for your time VS.NEt 2003 detects 2002 project format automatically when you try to open 2002 project with it. It also asks you if the project needs to be converted into 2003 format (if I remember right conversion must be done to use the project in 2003). If you say yes, it does the conversion and you don't have to do anything. Note that VS.NEt 2002 can't open 2003 projects.Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU thank you for your...

Copying VS.NET web project to Win 2003 and opening it in VS.NET
Hi all, Environment: ASP.NET 1.1; VS.NET Enterprise 2003; Windows Server 2003; IIS 6.0 I hope somebody can help me figure this out. I created a Web project on my XP Dev machine which I can open, run, debug and do everything else. I can "deploy" the project to my 2003 server and open the site in explorer browser. But now, I want to transfer the whole solution to my Win 2003 and continue the development and testing on it. So, I transferred the whole VS solution directory from my XP machine to the Win 2003 machine. I created a Web site (not a virtual directory under default...

Web resources about - can VS.NET be installed on Windows server 2003? - asp.net.web-hosting

States of India by installed power capacity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
^ "ALL INDIA REGIONWISE GENERATING INSTALLED CAPACITY OF POWER" (PDF) . Central Electricity Authority, Ministry of Power, Government of India. ...

Facebook, Messenger Pre-Installed on New Nokia 215, Nokia 215 Dual SIM Low-Cost Handsets
Facebook and Facebook Messenger are among the preinstalled applications on the new Nokia 215 and Nokia 215 Dual SIM entry-level phones from Microsoft ...

Installed a new HDD - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Seagate 100GB, 7200RPM in the 3 year old PowerBook.

FIRST EVER IPAD MINI INSTALLED INTO DASH OF A CAR - YouTube
Soundwaves of Tampa is the first to install a iPad Mini into a dash of a car. Please check us out and build pics at http://Facebook.com/soundwavesoftampa ...

Queensland's first Bitcoin ATM installed in South Brisbane
What is believed to be Queensland’s first Bitcoin ATM is up and running at a South Brisbane cafe, allowing customers to withdraw and sell ...

Cameras installed on hull of ISS (00:59)

Where in the US is solar installed?

Giant Gollum installed at airport ahead of Hobbit film
A 12 metre-long sculpture carved using robotics and chainsaws has been installed at Wellington Airport ahead of The Hobbit premiere.