Web form debugging - post back

Hi,

This is SOS call, since I have no idea what happend, but my web page is not working any more though I didn't change a thing.

I have a web page, containing datagrid, dataset, and listbox.

The user chooses an item from the listbox, push the button, and get the relevant records in the datagrid.  I added another feature: "quick search" containing textbox and another button, and when the user type something in the textbox and push the button, the datagrid being populated from the new search algorithm instead of the listbox.

Every thing was working perfect, till I changed something, and now the quich search is not working any more. Every time, I choose an item form the list box (autoPostBack = true) the text of the textbox is cleared, and even with the debugging I cannot catch the textbox.text.

I have no idea what happend, but I have the feeling it is something with the postback.

Please - Please - Please help me here if you have any idea.

Thank you so much

Yaniv

0
chetrity

Show us your code from the Listbox changing event

and separately, show us the code from the button's click event for the quick search

(remember not to show us real pwd and uid)

David Wier
MCP/ASPInsider
ASPNet101.com - where to look first!
Please Vote for ASPNet101 - 'Best Community Resource'!
augustwind
6/2/2006 6:47:22 PM

I have two list box: main category and sub category (both autoPostBack = true):

-----------main category event------------

private void mainCat_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, System.EventArgs e)

{

string choosenMain= mainCat.SelectedValue.ToString();

TextBox1.Text = mainCat.SelectedItem.ToString();

oleDbDataAdapter2.SelectCommand.CommandText = "SELECT Categories.* " +

" FROM Categories" +

" WHERE (langCode = 1) AND (active = 1)" +

" AND Categories.parent = " + choosenMain + "" +

" ORDER BY category" +

" UNION SELECT Categories.* FROM Categories WHERE catCode = 1";

oleDbDataAdapter2.Fill(subCategory1);

subCat.DataBind();

subCat.SelectedIndex = 0;

RadioCat.Text =  mainCat.SelectedItem.ToString();

}

--------------- sub Category event ---------------------

private void subCat_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, System.EventArgs e)

{

if (subCat.SelectedIndex != 0)

RadioCat.Text= subCat.SelectedItem.ToString();

else

RadioCat.Text= mainCat.SelectedItem.ToString();

}

------------ button's click --------------------

private void searchWordButton_Click(object sender, System.Web.UI.ImageClickEventArgs e)

{

searchButton = 2;

Results.Visible =

true;

Results.CurrentPageIndex = 0;

search_Click(sender, e);

}

--------- search_click() calls to getGrid() as follows -----------

private

void getGrid()

{

int selectedWords = 0;

string SQLwords="";

string SQLselectedWords="";

string SQLcategory = "";

string SQLselectedChars=" AND Words.word like '";

string sqlWHERE="";

initItemArray();

for (int i=0; i<itemArray.Length; i++)// 6 times

{

if (itemArray[i] >0)// for each line

{

SQLwords += " AND Words.numOfChar" + (i+1).ToString() + " = " +

itemArray[i].ToString();

selectedWords++;

if (SQLselectedWords == "")

SQLselectedWords = itemArray[i].ToString();

else

SQLselectedWords += "," + itemArray[i].ToString();

for (int j=0; j<itemArray[i]; j++)

{

//for each char in the specific word

string typedChar = arrayChars[i,j].Text;//string typedChar = arrayChars[i,11-j].Text;

if (typedChar == "")

typedChar = "_";

SQLselectedChars += typedChar ;

}

//for

SQLselectedChars += "%";

}

//if

}

//for

//int removeChar = SQLselectedChars.Length - 1;

//SQLselectedChars = SQLselectedChars.Substring(0,removeChar);

SQLselectedChars += "'";

if (subCat.SelectedIndex == 0)

{

//the user choosed "*** הכל ***"

string parentCat = mainCat.SelectedValue;

SQLcategory = " AND (Categories.parent = " + parentCat + ")";

}

//if

else

SQLcategory = " AND (Categories.category = '" + subCat.SelectedItem.ToString() + "')";

//choose the search option

if (searchButton == 0)

{

//search by chars

sqlWHERE =" AND (Words.numOfWords = " +selectedWords.ToString() + ")" +

SQLwords + SQLselectedChars + SQLcategory ;

}

//if

if (searchButton == 1)

{

//search by all words of category

sqlWHERE = SQLcategory ;

}

//if

else if (searchButton == 2)

{

// quick search

if (RadioAll.Checked)

sqlWHERE =" AND Words.word like '%" + searchWord.Text + "%'" ;

else

{

if (subCat.SelectedIndex != 0)

sqlWHERE =" AND Words.word like '%" + searchWord.Text + "%' AND (Categories.catCode = " + subCat.SelectedValue + ")";

else

sqlWHERE =" AND Words.word like '%" + searchWord.Text + "%' AND (Categories.parent = " + mainCat.SelectedValue + ")";

}

//else

}

//if

oleDbDataAdapter3.SelectCommand.CommandText="SELECT Words.word, " +

" Categories.category, Words.notes AS NOTES" +

" FROM (Categories INNER JOIN " +

" Words ON Categories.catCode = Words.catCode)" +

" WHERE (Categories.langCode = 1) AND (Categories.active = 1) AND (Words.active = 1) AND (Words.wordCode <> 0)" + sqlWHERE +

" ORDER BY Words.word, Categories.category";

oleDbDataAdapter3.Fill(populatrGrid1);

if (resultPaging >= 0)

Results.CurrentPageIndex = resultPaging;

int sumRec = populatrGrid1.Tables[0].Rows.Count; // returns the number of rows in the dataset's first table

if (sumRec == 0)

{

Results.Visible =

false;

error_notFound.Visible =

true;

searchResults.Visible =

false;

error_notFound.Text = "לא נמצאו תוצאות בחיפוש. נסה חיתוך אחר ";

}

//if

else

{

searchResults.Visible =

true;

error_notFound.Visible =

false;

searchResults.Text = "נמצאו " + sumRec + " הגדרות בקטגוריה זו";

Results.DataBind();

Label7.Visible =

true;

Panel2.Visible =

true;

ImageButton2.Visible =

true;

TextBox1.Text = "PO4: " + itemArray[0] +"^" + itemArray[1] +"^" + itemArray[2] +"^" + itemArray[3] +"^" + itemArray[4] +"^" + itemArray[5];

}

}

//getGrid
0
chetrity
6/2/2006 9:27:38 PM

I have noticed the following while debugging:

When I run the page, everything is being poulated as expected, and the textBox get the initail value of "--search--" that will be erased when the user getFocus.  When I change the item in the listBox the text of the textBox is erased just before the page_Load method is being called.

Do you have any idea what method being called before the Page_load?

Do you know why is it happening when I change event on the listBox but not when the page first run?

Thanks

Yaniv

0
chetrity

Web forms and mobile web forms

Include web form inside web form

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

Strange output in web form after web form is displayed.
   I have been using a web user control for over a week now with no problems. I am now getting strange output in my web form after my controls display on the page. Below is the strange output. Can anyone tell me what is wrong here? Note I did not include it all because it is quite large.   Request Details Session Id: l5b5vkazucfatba4oliaw1vi Request Type: POST Time of Request: 9/10/2007 4:59:59 PM Status Code: 200 Request Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Response Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Trace Information Category Message From First(s) F...

Hello, I have a principal form with a list of information. From this form, I go on an edit forms and I want to control what is done on this form. For this, I want to block the button Windows back on my edit form. Somebody can help me ? Thank you for your help.  Jy. set the Session Variable (with your ID or whatever ) in the Principal Form when user click on Edit then put the One Back Button on your edit form and Redirect the page by using the Session variable value.Please Mark as Answred If This Blog has Helped You.RegardsMitesh Darjihttp://www.indianic.comhttp://www.mitatdotnet....

Web resources about - Web form debugging - post back - asp.net.web-forms

Debugging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... here. For the shell command, see debug (command) . For the German magazine, see Debug (magazine) . For the 2014 film, see Debug (film) . Debugging ...

Debugging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... here. For the shell command, see debug (command) . For the German magazine, see Debug (magazine) . For the 2014 film, see Debug (film) . Debugging ...

The Remote Agent Experiment: Debugging Code from 60 Million Miles Away - YouTube
Google Tech Talk February 14, 2012 Presented by Ron Garret. ABSTRACT The Remote Agent Experiment: Debugging Code from 60 Million Miles Away The ...

Taking the pain out of debugging with live programming
"Everyone knows that debugging is twice as hard as writing a program in the first place," Brian Kernighan once wrote (adding: "So if you're as ...

Microsoft acquires software for debugging Unity games
... Visual Studio's capabilities for game builders, Microsoft is acquiring SyntaxTree, creator of a widely used Visual Studio plug-in for debugging ...

Agile Learning, Debugging and Mikado Method in Methods & Tools Fall 2013 issue
Methods & Tools – the free e-magazine for software developers, testers and project managers – has just published its Fall 2013 issue with the ...

Apple releases Xcode 6.3.1 with bug fixes for debugging
Apple today released Xcode 6.3.1 with bug fixes . According to the release notes, the release includes fixes for debugging, Interface Builder, ...

Chrome Beta for Android brings debugging tools to mobile web developers
YouTube link for mobile viewing Chrome Beta for Android brings a lot of cool features for users like you and me, but it also has a handy one ...