Web Form and Web User Control

Hello,

I have a Web User Control (ascx) that includes a button. This button has an onclick event method.

This Web User control is included into a Web Form. (thru LoadControl).

However, when I click on the button, the event method is not executed.

What should I include in order it works fine?

Thanks in advance.

GAA.

0
gustavoAA

Using Loadcontrol is using dynamic controls and when using dynamic controls you must recreate the same dynamic controls ono postback to econstruct the page control tree. It is best if you do this during the Page PreInit event.

How complex are your controls as loaded, are they nested or just added as a list etc?

Rgds,
Martin.

For the benefit of all users please mark any post answers as appropriate.
0
mokeefe
1/29/2007 1:22:37 AM

Example of dynamic controls and persisting the control count for re-creation of those controls on postback

Partial Class _Default

    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

    Const CntrlCount As String = "dynCntrlCount"

    Dim _buildCntrlcount As Integer

    Private ReadOnly Property ControlCount() As Integer

        Get

            Dim obj As Object = Request(CntrlCount)

            If Not obj Is Nothing Then

                Me._buildCntrlcount = CInt(obj)

                Return Me._buildCntrlcount

            End If

            Return 0

        End Get

    End Property

    Protected Sub Page_PreInit(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.PreInit

        ' Reconstruct dynamic controls

        ' if they were all added to the form

        ' Viewstate is loaded later so the control values will be replaced / persisted!

        For i As Integer = 1 To ControlCount

            Me.form1.Controls.Add(LoadControl("/cntrls/exl.ascx"))

        Next

    End Sub

        ' could be a button click etc

        If Not Me.IsPostBack Then

            For i As Integer = 0 To 10

                Me.form1.Controls.Add(LoadControl("/cntrls/exl.ascx"))

                Me._buildCntrlcount += 1

            Next

        End If

    End Sub

    Protected Sub Page_PreRender(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.PreRender

        ' record dynamic control count in output Form

        ClientScript.RegisterHiddenField(CntrlCount, Me._buildCntrlcount)

    End Sub

End Class

Rgds,

Martin.

Rgds,
Martin.

For the benefit of all users please mark any post answers as appropriate.
0
mokeefe
1/29/2007 1:39:56 AM

hi GAA,

here is the sample code

the main page

add <%@ Reference VirtualPath="~/WebUserControl.ascx" %> to the html source

{
    {
        WebUserControl wb =(WebUserControl)Page.LoadControl("WebUserControl.ascx");
        form1.Controls.Add(wb);
    }
}

the user control

public partial class WebUserControl : System.Web.UI.UserControl
{
    {

    }
    {
        Response.Write("ok");
    }
}

hope it helps

Jessica Cao
Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
0
Jessica
1/29/2007 2:04:12 AM

Hi Jessica,

You are providing no benefit by including a Reference Directive. This is only required for Strong Typing the control (accessing members), and is not particularly effective when working with large numbers of optional dynamically loaded controls. This is because it creates a link between the libraries and potentially requires a large number of compilations on the first serve of the page.

You can declare the dynamic control as a Control or UserControl - or any other application wide custom Base Class - and still load dynamically and as per the example above.

You don't need to explicilty declare the variable if you don't need to access some of its Family members.

I think maybe we read the question differently.

Rgds,
Martin.

For the benefit of all users please mark any post answers as appropriate.
0
mokeefe

custom web user control and web form

Web User Control Not rendering in Web Form
I have created a Web User control that is made up of a Multiview with 2 views inside the Multiview. I have buttons on both views and a gridview on 1 view. My question is when I drop this Web User Control on a Web Form all I see is [MultiView"MultiView1"] and when I view the from in the browser I dont see the Web User Control. I was wondering if someone could please tell me why the Web User Control is not displaying or rendering.     Thanks In Advance Hi, Please check your aspx file for correct reference, like following example: TestControl.ascx:<%@ Control ...

web web web

Web forms and mobile web forms

validate Textbox in Web User Control from web form?
ASP.NET 2.0 I have a web user control that contains a textbox.  I need to add some validation (like requiredfieldvalidator, comparevalidator, etc). I would normally add the validator to my web user control by placing the validator next to my textbox.  However, I need the validation message somewhere else on my web form, not near the user control. So how would I associate a validation control on my web form with the text box inside my web user control?  Can this be done; any alternatives out there? Thanks!   The error message should occur wherever you place the vali...

Interaction between Web User Control & Web form
Ok, I want to create my first Web User Control which is used for file uploading. It's very simple, consist only of the <asp:FileUpload> and <asp:Button> control. The button has one server side event which is resizing the uploaded image to two different images (stored as byte[] in the cs file). So, my question is how I can send these two arrays of type byte to the Web form where the web user control is inside. I thought it should be possible to write something like this in the Web form:<uc1:FileUploader ID="uploader" runat="server" OnUploaded="recieveImages" />So that means ...

Pass data from Web User Control to Web Form
I have a Web Form that contains a Web User Control. The WUC displays dynamic content. I want to change the TITLE property of the Web Form, based on the contents of the WUC. For example, if the WUC displays information about Horses, I want to change the page title to "HORSES" by passing the string to the parent Web Form. I have tried playing with parameters and such, but I can't remember how I did this in the past. PLEASE HELP!~o0 Spin-Monkey Oo~ The best way to do this is by creating a public property on your web user control and accessing that from your web form. Check ...

Access SqlDataSource on Web Form from a Web User Control...
Hello, I want to access a SqlDataSource on a Web Form fromout. a Web User Control. To do this, I have in my code behind of the Web User Control the folowing code: DropDownList1.DataSource = (this.Page.FindControl("SqlDataSource3") as SqlDataSource);DropDownList1.DataTextField = "Name;DropDownList1.DataValueField = "NameIDropDownList1.DataBind(); But, the control (ic. SqlDataSource3) is not found. Even other controls like labels and buttons are not found with the FindControl. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Andromedaris     This is not much of a surprise,...

Access a Web User Control Method from a Web Form
I'm trying to pass the Selected Index value from a web user control in a web form to the user controls selectedIndexchanged Sub.  I can't seem to figure out how to pass the information that I need to the user control and have it execute the sub routine. In the SelectedInedxChanged Sub I have a switch Statement and I want to get the index value from the web form where the user control is located and compare it to each case and then to have it execute the code for the case that it matches. What do I need to do? Hi, I am not sure if I understood your question correctly. I su...

Retreiving a value from a web form within a web user control
Hi  I have a page (web form) that retreives some data from a database. To be more specific: at some point when user clicks a button (in the web form) there is some ID number retreived from a database in code behind. At the same time the Visible property of the nestet web user control is chamged to true. I want than forward the ID to the web user control so that a grid view can load data from a database for that ID. How can I access that data (the ID) within a web user control context nested in that page?  Kind regards   Check this ;ink  http://www.codeproject.com/K...

Importing Individual Web Forms and User Controls from a Web Site
Is there a best practice for importing individual web forms and user  controls from a web site to a web application project (i.e., to ensure the .designer file is generated and all that)? On the new version of an existing web site, we're moving the WAP, but we're changing the project enough that I don't want to just upgrade the whole thing--I just want to import select forms and controls. So far, the best thought I've got is to do a fake upgrade and copy over files from that, but that's a bit heavy for my needs, so if there's an easier or better way to just grab the ones I want, pleas...

Web resources about - Web Form and Web User Control - asp.net.web-forms

Firefighters battle out of control bushfire in Bullsbrook
Around 70 firefighters are battling an out of control bush-fire in Bullsbrook.

Firefighters battle out of control bushfire in Bullsbrook
Around 70 firefighters are battling an out of control bush-fire in Bullsbrook.

US Democratic candidates clash over gun control at debate
Hillary Clinton criticised over foreign policy and gun control but again confirms her position as frontrunner for the Democratic nomination. ...

Victorian fires out of control
Residents are being urged to evacuate as an out of control bushfire near the Indigo Valley in northern Victoria threatens homes. Courtesy ABC ...

Victorian bushfires: Fire crews battle to get blazes under control in hot, windy conditions
Several fires continue to burn in hot, windy conditions in Victoria, but all of the emergency warnings have been downgraded, CFA officials say. ...

Dell Issues Patch For Content Adaptive Brightness Control On The XPS 13
... issues, as all devices do. One that was very frustrating to deal with during the review was the aggressive Content Adaptive Brightness Control ...

Tencent Holdings Takes Full Control of 'League of Legends' Developer Riot Games
Breitbart News Tencent Holdings Takes Full Control of 'League of Legends' Developer Riot Games Breitbart News Riot Games, the creators of ...

China's Xi on cyberspace control
Chinese President Xi Jinping defended his country's right to censor Internet content, signaling confidence in the strategy.

Taliban forces take control of key district in Afghanistan's Helmand province
CNN Taliban forces take control of key district in Afghanistan's Helmand province CNN Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) Taliban forces have taken almost ...