Web application used as desktop application. Need suggestion

Hi,

 I have a project which will be deployed in a shop where they sell antique items. There is a sell like 2 to 3 items a day or less. They require barcode in the application.

My question is,

should I make that application as web application or desktop application?.

Do you think its fesible to make it as web application (function wise)?

Is there any way that I can make it exe (web application) and it installs the application, make virtual directory etc (db will be access)? exe make software name.

Do we have any good web application example you have seen on the internet that are web but used as desktop?

any info on it will be alot helpful

Programmer_P

hello my friend,

would the application be used to communicate with the outside world of the shop via internet? if so, develop a web application.

if it is just used by some one only in the shop and don't need communications with outside world, develop a desk top application.

Hop it helps,

Jessica

Jessica Cao
Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
0
Jessica

Difference between mobile web applications and standard web applications + mobile web forms in them ?
I have a series of existing sites, but I need to make a PPC version of them (there already is one, but it uses standard web forms). Since the code-behind looks a lot in the PC and in the PPC version, I'd like both versions to use the same files for the code. I'm left with 2 options : - either create a new mobile web application for each existing web application, and put all the code behind in .dlls which I'll call from each page ; - or, if this is possible (and I'd rather do it), simply add mobile web forms to the existing web applications and redirect at login to the appropriate ve...

Stop and Start a Web Application using Application Pool contains may Web Applications
Hi, In my IIS 6.0, there is a Application Pool. This Application Pool contains 5 Asp.net Web Application. But I need to stop and restart one particular Web Application. How to do that? What is the process to start and stop a Asp.net Web Application. when the Web Application uses a Application Pool and the Particular Application Pool contains other Web Application as well.?     if you want like that then create separate application pool for each web application. Then you can start and stop one particular web application. Other easy way is just modify the web.config file of you...

C#.NET WEB APPLICATION

Need help with deciding to use or not to use web services in a web application
Hi all, I haven't used web services at all in my web application development and now I was asked to use web services in my web application.  I was a novice in ASP.NET since I'm just changed to ASP.NET from a Java background. I used the tutorial on MSDN to create the DAL (which is a .xsd file type) and the BLL layers and it works pretty well for what the web application suppose to be but since I was asked to add a web service layer to this, I wonder how to do it?  And I wonder if it is necessary to have an additional layer?  What is the pros and cons for adding the we...

Call one web application forms with in another web application ..
I am having forms named A1,A2,A3,A4,A5 in my web application1. And i am having B1,B2,B3,B4 and B5 in my web application2.I am using Windows authentication for my web application1. And i am using Form Authentication for my web application2.I am planning to host these 2 applications in 2 different servers.Here i am planning to have web application1 as a stand alone application.And Web application2 should interact with web application1.I want to call my web application1 forms in my web application2.But both authentication types are different.........???How to do it....??Any ideas ??Kamran Shahi...

Converting a VS 2005 Web Application to a VS .NET 2003 Web Application
Well it seems that I am going against the stream here, but one of our clients wants the web application I wrote in Visual Studio 2005 to be deployed using Visual Studio .NET 2003. What's the best way to go about this without rewriting the whole dang thing? I would probably create a new 2003 project, copy all of your aspx and other files into it, attempt a build and see what happens.  If you didn't use a lot of the new controls (like membership, personalization, masterpages etc, then you will probably be ok with just minor changes.  If you did rely on a lot of the newer c...

Unable to open existing Web application or create web application from Visual Studio.Net
I reinstalled MS office this morning. All of sudden, I can neither open existing web application nor create new Web application. The symptom is the same as described in thread: http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=417541 or http://www.dotnetcoders.com/web/Articles/ShowArticle.aspx?article=57 Tried every suggestion. Still can't do anything. When I tried to check server extention, I got following error message: can't open file "fontpg.lck" for writing Do anyone has any suggestion? Could anyone tell me what permission should I set? I added A...

4 Layered Web Application for Inserting data into a database using sql server as the back end and a web form as the front end using C#
4 Layered Web Application for Inserting data into a database using sql server as the back end and a web form as the front end using C# . Can someone provide with code as I am new to this architecture and framework. Better send email. Thanks In Advance, A New Bie I suggest taking a look at the Time Tracker Starter Kit (v1.x or x2.0) or the Issue Tracker Starter Kit (v1.x).  Full source code is available.  Click on the Downloads tab above to find them.  These are not exactly what you are looking for, but perhaps they will help you get started.Terri MortonEngagement Manag...

Running a web application within my existing web application
 Hi. I have a site set up in .net 1.1 that runs fine. A requirement came through recently to incorporate some elements by way of a third party application. I have set up a virtual directory inside my main application which points to the folder that contains the third party application. This virtual directory is also set up to run as an application. The third party application allows me to create forms. I have created a page in my main application that uses 1 user control from the third party application to display a form. I am getting the following error when trying to run the page:Serv...

possible to use both vs.net and web matrix for web application development?
Hello there, i am wondering will it possible to develop a web application using a mixture of web matrix and VS.NET? Say for example, on my application, i developing a web service module(both client n web service ) in VS.NET while my teammates is doing their web application module using webmatrix. Once integrated into a system will it work? Do note that these modules dont share the same data, hence no data exhange will occur. Both the application will be using VB.NET as well. Pls someone answer my doubts, thanks! If you do component programming ofcourse yes. it is like one ...

if web application is already open by one users, then do other user can use this web application also?
I have asp.net 2.0 and I have developed web simple web applications and it is on the server so how do I know if multiple users can use this websites at the same time Questtion: by default asp.net allow multiple users to access web page. if web application is already open by one users, then do other user can use this web application also? thankk u maxmax Yes, ASP.Net application can be accessed concurrently by multiple users.~ Remember To Mark The Posts Which Helped You As The ANSWER ~ IIS (which serves up your ASP.NET 2.0 website) is designed to service multiple users, so each new ...

web application & mobile web application
Hi all,I am new to mobile web application and I am assigned to do some changes to the existing .net application. The application is a .net web application, and the hand held scanner is used to access the web forms. Till now, I thought it is only possible to access the web forms if they were developed using mobile web forms. But these forms were not developed using mobile web forms instead they were developed using asp.net.Is it possible to develop the application using .net and access through the handhelds? If so, is there any considerations for that?Anyone please explain me. I would really ...

Consuming Web service from .net 3.5 web application using ajax
Hi , Before in .net 2005 ,I use to consume the  web service from client side via Ajax and java script. that's just adding web service inside the script manger services.But  it was not possible with .net 2008 version WEB APPLICATION   , Even it works well with .net 2008 web sites. Please help me to solve the issue. I have no idea what you mean. Please post the code that "does not work". NC...   I have the same problem.  I have a .NET 3.5 Web Application not Web Site.  I fully qualify the web service with the namespace i,e,  &n...

Web resources about - Web application used as desktop application. Need suggestion - asp.net.web-forms

Development application for Holt golf course land open for public inspection
The developers selling 350 dwellings on disused parts of the Holt golf course have submitted their development application for public inspection. ...

Samsung Unveils the Latest Application Processor, Exynos 8 Octa, Built on 14-Nanometer FinFET Process ...
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today announced the newest member of its Exynos family of ...

MBA: Mortgage Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 18% YoY ...
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 1.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications rise 6.2%
Home loan borrowers seem undeterred by the highest interest rates in five months.

Thousands of Java applications vulnerable to nine-month-old exploit
A popular Java library has a serious vulnerability, discovered over nine months ago, that continues to put thousands of Java applications and ...

Google pushing virtual reality applications
Google has been pushing its R&D into virtual reality applications and is looking to enhance YouTube with the ability to provide virtual reality ...

ARM Math Libraries to Speed HPC Applications
At the SC 15 show, the company will demonstrate the libraries that will improve the performance of applications running on 64-bit ARM systems. ...