Web app and Windows Forms app

I've done a lot of .NET web development, but I'm trying to write a Forms App.

I'm trying to populate a GridView Control with a simple "SELECT *" query, but I'm not having any luck.  I keep getting this error:
"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections."

I enabled remote connections on my SQL Server, then as a test I built a local web app that connects to the DB just fine.  For some reason, I can't get this WinForm to connect though, and I keep getting the same error.

Is there a Win Forms file like the web.config that I need to use?  Or is there some other setting in the WinForms world that I'm just not aware of?

Thanks.

0
barryman9000

These forums are for ASP.NET (web sites / web applications), not windows applications. You might try your question at the MSDN Forums which deals with Windows Applications written for .NET.
Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~
mbanavige

conver a windows forms app into a aspx web forms app
Hi, i remember reading somewere that a windows forms application can be "translated" to web forms application in .Net. ¿Is that true?. ¿How can I do it?¿does it work in visual studio 2003? Thanks a lot! Mikel There is no automatic wizard that will convert an ASP.NET app to WinForms, or a WinForms app to ASP.NET.  However, a number of the concepts are similar between the two models and you will be able to re-use all of your non-UI specific code.  The broader .NET Framework class library is also the same.Hope this helps you  If y...

Calling local client apps via web form/web app.
Hello all,I am not sure if this is the correct area to ask this, so excuse me ifI posted in wrong area. I'm a bit of a newbie to this but I was wondering if I can call a local app. via a web application.  A friend suggested looking into ActiveX controls, but I am not familiar with them.  Also what other alternatives are there beside using ActiveX? I read about using Flex and Applets but again I don't know which would be my best option and what kind of security issues I may be dealing with?  If anyone can inform me or suggest a reference or book I would appr...

Determining if an app is a web app or a windows app
Hi all,  I'm writing a generic utilites class and one of the methods needs to get the physical path of the application. I know Server.MapPath("~") gets the server path of the app for windows and also that Application.ExecutablePath gets the path for windows app. Now how would i determine which app is a windows app or a web app?   Thanks in advance. add a reference to system.web and then do the following  if (System.Web.HttpContext.Current == null)            {       &...

Forms Authentication between Win app and Web app
I'm using ASP.net Authentication and Authorization (SQL provider against standard aspnetdb) in my VB.net Windows App to handle users, roles, etc.  This works great.  I'm also using the same aspnetdb database and configuration information for my ASP.net Web app.  This also works great. We are transitioning some of our win client only functionality to asp.net.  Since the users are already logging in to the win app using forms authentication, I want to allow them to utilize asp.net pages via the windows forms WebBrowser control without having ASP...

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

convert java web app 2 .NET web app
Hi, i am able to convert java console app to .NET console app.but i am unable to convert java web based application to .NET web based application. can u give me some idea as to how to convert that. Thanks in advance,nizam. I believe the technical phrase is.. rtfm?  lol.  you're going to have to do it the hard way.  JSP operates on a different theory of web development than asp.net/asp.net 2.0Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. Try these two links for sample code and free book from Microsoft, ...

embed windows app in web form
Hi, I am new to ASP, and i have a question. Is it possible to embed a windows application into a web form? basicly i have a windows application that cleans a csv file, and then through a web form and SQL stored procedures data is distributed into tables in asevereral db's. Is is possible to embed the windows application in the web page? Any input is appreciated. Thank you . Hi,what you're referring to is known as a smart client. You can place your winforms application on a webserver and call it through an url like http://www.myservername.com/myapplication.exeOr you could place a winforms u...

Web forms and mobile web forms

Web Apps vs. Web Sites (was: Universal Navigation for Web Apps)
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Justin D'Arcangelo <justindarc@gmail.com>wrote: > there needs to be a differentiation between > web sites and web *apps*. > While we might be able to describe characteristics that conceptually separate a "web site" from a "web app", I think in reality they will exist on a continuum. Chris Jones is right that we need more data from actual app developers on this, but I can provide some anecdotal evidence by telling the story of a web app I worked on which got listed in a web app store. I worked on a web-b...

Web Forms or Windows Forms
Hi; I got started a new project for a company's Intranet. This is a test database system which we will use as a pool and put data and update,del,add simply modification operations on.I am learning .NET and implementing this system together I am using web-forms now.Everyone enters their pass and user-name to be able to use the system.But I can implement this system with Windows Forms also.At this case if you were me which form system you would use? Thank you for your replies There are definate advantages to using Web Forms since they do not have to be deployed to each client...

Web app to Windows app.
I’m new at this so please bear with me. In theory, is it possible to create a .net web application that can talk to a .net windows application? What I would like to accomplish is to use a .net web app to talk to Microsoft’s Windows Media Batch Encoder. Any comments are appreciated. Tome...

VB.NET Data Grid, windows app to web app
Is it possible to make a Web Application Data Grid element with identical functionality as a Windows Application Data Grid? When I run the code as a windows application, it allows me to make direct edits of each database record through the data grid. When I run the code through a browser, however, it only displays the records. This is the code:Any suggestions? Inherits System.Web.UI.Page Dim connstr As String = "data source=SERVER;initial catalog=DB;user id=USER;password=PASSWORD;" Dim sqlStr As String = "SELECT * FROM Users" Dim dt As New DataTable Private Sub btnLoad_Click(B...

Web resources about - Web app and Windows Forms app - asp.net.web-forms

The Windows Blog

Woman spotted throwing flaming rags from car window in Yangebup: resident
A report of a person driving around throwing flaming rags from their car in the Yangebup area has prompted a call from the Department of Fire ...

Windows 10 Mobile review: Windows on phones gets rebooted. Again.
One way or another, Microsoft has been promising Windows 10 Mobile for years. References to "Windows Everywhere," the notion that some version ...

Santa brought you a Windows 10 PC or tablet? Here’s what to do first
If you were fortunate enough to unwrap a new Windows device this Christmas the chances are it will be running Windows 10 . The new operating ...

Employees were so angry about Good's sale to Blackberry, someone broke a conference room window
When email security company Good Technology sold to BlackBerry for $425 million this past September — well below its last private valuation of ...

Virgin Mary image seen on Ga. church window
Rainbow-hued coating on window pane inspires Catholic priest to post on FaceBook

Microsoft preps for Windows 10 upgrade push
Windows 10 is now on more than 148 million PCs , according to data from analytics vendor Net Applications. But the rate at which users are moving ...

I Can See An Empty Bank Account From My Window
Not mine, for once. With oil prices down along with oil production, the state is facing an Alaska-size shortfall: Two-thirds of the revenue ...