Using excel/automation from a .net web form fails, why?

Hi all -

From my codebehind I'm attempting to write the contents of a DataSet to Excel. However, it appears that I cannot start Excel from my codebehind to accomplish this. Doing so causes the following error:
Cannot execute a program. The command being executed was "c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\csc.exe" /noconfig @"C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\webservice_icspos_consumer\bd8c4cb9\af1c8054\s33rwgwf.cmdline".
I've referenced Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object Library which also brings in
- Microsoft Office 10.0 Object Library
- stdole (OLE Automation)
- VBIDE Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility 5.3
Why does this fail in a .net web page but succeeds in a Windows Application?
Excel.Application excel= new Excel.Application();
Thanks for any insight you can offer.

0
easy_coder

Well I've resolved my issue and it had nothing to do with excel/automation and everything to do with having run the IIS Lockdown Tool on my machine. My DataSet was to be delivered via a Web Service which is ok... unless you've run the IIS Lockdown Tool.

BUG: "ExternalException: Cannot Execute a Program" Error Message When You Call WebServices from .aspx Page
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315904
easy_coder
0
easy_coder
10/14/2003 3:49:53 PM
When you installed Excel, did you allow all users to use it?

Also, has your IUSR_<machinename> user got access to it?
One more thing: Log on to your box as IURS_<machinename> and try to start Excel. I'm guessing it'll popup a dialog box asking for your initials, etc. After you've done this once, it should work.
Regards,
Nic
0
NicButler

C#.NET WEB APPLICATION

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

.Net Web Form & Web Service Deployment

Web forms and mobile web forms

DataWindow Failed to Retrieve in .NET Web Form
I am running PB 11.5.1 Build 4788. I have a datawindow that would retrieve normally under client server mode, but do not retrieve under .NET Web Forms (returns nothings). I am running the same source code in both modes. The retrieval arguments of the said DataWindow are (Date, Time, Integer). The code is as follow: This.DataObject = 'dw_actsch_sch' This.SetTransObject( sqlca ) li_RtnVal = This.Retrieve( Date( '2010-09-10' ), Time( '10:00.00' ), 1 ) The li_RtnVal is -1 when it is running in web form. I am wondering if anyone has similar experiences,...

Reading Excel Files from a .Net Web Form
Hi, This might be a dumb question, but ... When reading an Excel file from a .Net Web Form, is it necessary to have Microsoft Excel actually installed on the client machine running the web form? Also, do the Excel files being read need to be saved as "values only" or can the values be extracted from a spreadsheet where the cells contain formulas? Thanks. -Wayne Hi, For the 1st part, Office is not necessary to be installed. But Download the Office XP PIAs and use them to develop Office XP solutions with Visual Studio .NET. For 2nd Part I think you need to use Values.Regar...

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

Web resources about - Using excel/automation from a .net web form fails, why? - asp.net.web-forms

Automation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For a hierarchical presentation of automation topics, see Outline of automation . For other uses, see Automation (disambiguation) . Automation ...

Automation World - Covering the field of industrial automation
AutomationWorld.com delivers content for the Automation Buying team, which includes Information Technology and Networking; Operations and Engineering; ...

Facebook Ads API Partner AdStage: Campaign Automation, $6.25M Series A Funding
AdStage , a Facebook ads API partner, announced Wednesday the launch of campaign automation — as well as a $6.25 million round of Series A funding. ...

Facebook PMD IgnitionOne launches self-service marketing automation
IgnitionOne , a Facebook Preferred Marketing Developer, announced Tuesday the launch of the Marketing Automation tool. A fully integrated module ...

Automation Heroes (@automationhero) on Twitter

Automation World
Automation World is your link to the why and how of manufacturing automation. The purpose of this group is to connect manufacturing engineers,... ...

Young people don't consider automation issues when choosing a career
... launched a new research study that determines that almost half (49 percent) of young people in Britain are not taking the issue of job automation ...

Meet Microbot Push, a home automation gadget lazy people will love
A South Korean startup called Naran has come up with an incredibly clever way for users to control and automate any type of switch-oriented task ...

Robots Will Change World Beyond Recognition Says BoA; Automation Will Change Jobs More Than Kill Them ...
Robot Theory The battle of robot theory is on. Bank of America paints one picture and McKinsey another. Let's investigate both theories. Automation ...

Rockwell Automation Announces Mobility Co-Innovation with Microsoft
A new mobility co-innovation project by Rockwell Automation and Microsoft Corp. will be demonstrated at Automation Fair in Chicago Nov. 18 and ...