User access to a page

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction when it comes to allowing users to access certain pages only if they are privileged to do so. I am still in ASP mode and am not sure how to implement the whole privileged system for users to access their own account etc.
Any documentation I should go straight to?
What does the architecture look like? Is it simply the same as a regular ASP page where a session variable is checked for the right privilege level?
Thanks for your help!
0
LeCapitan

I suggest you take a look at Rolebased Authorization which is far more advanced (but still easy) than relying on Session. This article will get you started:

Role-Based Authorization With Forms Authentication

Regards

Andre Colbiornsen
---------------------------------
Seventh Day
Råbygatan 1A,
SE-223 61 Lund
Sweden
Mob.: +46-(0)708-97 78 79
Mail: info@seventhday.se
--------------------------------
0
adec
11/7/2003 3:23:34 PM
Thanks very much I shall get on it! Stay tuned 'cus more questions may arise.

Thanks very much!
0
LeCapitan

How to access user control variables from the parent page (web form)
Hello, I have a user control and in it a variable called id. I want to access / specify that variable from the parent calling page, to have more control on it at runtime, how can I do that? In general how do I access the user control from the main page. Raffee Z. In User ControlPrivate myId as integer Public Property ID() As IntegerGet Return myID End Get Set(ByVal Value As String) myID = Value End Set End PropertyIn the main pageProtected uc as MyUserControldim IdOfUserControl as Integer = uc.ID  This works as a "push" from the parent form but I'm l...

Accessing a method within a class VB.NET from a Web Form page.
 I got the following class within my App_Code folder under a file called DataAccess.vb: Namespace CircaComArtAccess Public Class ComArtData Private _connstr As String = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("ESQLConn").ConnectionString() Public Sub ComArtGrid(ByVal procedurename As String, _ ByVal parameters() As SqlParameter, _ ByVal gridname As ComponentArt.Web.UI.Grid, _ ByVal e As ComponentArt.Web.UI.CallBackEventArgs, _ Optional ByVal commandtype As CommandType = 1 _ ) Dim SQLConn As SqlConnection...

Role authorization
For role authorization if we specify location path is there any way to notify a user that they were denied access to a directory instead of just redirecting them to the forms logon page with no feedback. For instance if i put the following location path in my web.config file and a user tries to access a link to a file in the folder it just shows them the forms logon page. If they type their username and password it redirects them immediately back to the user logon page. There is no feedback that they do not have access to the folder. Is there an event i can hook into to either direct them to...

Access a Web User Control Method from a Web Form
I'm trying to pass the Selected Index value from a web user control in a web form to the user controls selectedIndexchanged Sub.  I can't seem to figure out how to pass the information that I need to the user control and have it execute the sub routine. In the SelectedInedxChanged Sub I have a switch Statement and I want to get the index value from the web form where the user control is located and compare it to each case and then to have it execute the code for the case that it matches. What do I need to do? Hi, I am not sure if I understood your question correctly. I su...

Access SqlDataSource on Web Form from a Web User Control...
Hello, I want to access a SqlDataSource on a Web Form fromout. a Web User Control. To do this, I have in my code behind of the Web User Control the folowing code: DropDownList1.DataSource = (this.Page.FindControl("SqlDataSource3") as SqlDataSource);DropDownList1.DataTextField = "Name;DropDownList1.DataValueField = "NameIDropDownList1.DataBind(); But, the control (ic. SqlDataSource3) is not found. Even other controls like labels and buttons are not found with the FindControl. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Andromedaris     This is not much of a surprise,...

Single page with multiple user web controls VS Multiple page with specific user web controls
I have a question regarding single page with multiple user web controls vs multiple page with specific user web controls   Option 1: I am of the opinion to have multiple pages with specific user web controls and use an object to store all the information as the user navigates through the application. And finally at the end, read this object and save all the information to the backend database.   Option 2: My respected team member suggests that we have only one page, with all the specific user web controls and not use an object, instead show/hide the user web controls based ...

Accessing documents on web page that user can not access direct from the server
Hi How to allow users of a website access documents on a server , user can not view these documents by using \\ServerName\DocumentsFolder\aDocument.doc but through the site he/she should be able to view by clicking on the link that says aDocument.doc How to do that? If you have your documents within the folder structure of the site, then a hyperlink is all you need:<a href="documents/myDoc.doc">myDoc.doc</a>If your documents are outside of the folder structure, or on a network share, or you want to selectively add permissions to files, you will need to use an http...

Clear User from Table on Web Page close in vb.net web project.
Hi All, I tried to place some code on sessiopn end which seems to be not working. http://212.24.225.146/SessionTest/Default.aspx Above url is recording session and code is: If Not IsPostBack = True Then Session("UserSession") = Session.SessionID Dim con As SqlConnection Dim cmdUpdate As SqlCommand Dim strupdate As String Dim dtread As SqlDataReader Dim updated_records As Integer con = New SqlConnection(db_connection) strupdate = "INSERT T...

how to open a web page in form of a popup web page
Hello, I have two web pages, let say. Page A : With a Button on it. PAge B: with some info. Now I need to: When I click on the Button of page A.Page B must open in a pop up window.  I can do this but problem is this when I clicked on the button for first time it does not show me any thing and when I clicked on the button for second time then It shows me Page B .My code is as follow:  1 protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) 2 { 3 if (!this.Page.IsPostBack) 4 { 5 6 } 7 else 8...

Howto Show the user which roles has access to a certain page based on the roles assigned to that page in web.config?
Hi!I have started to build a website which will be using Formsauthentication through the ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider. For Roles I´m using the AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider for Roleauthorization against Active Directory. If the user isn´t authorized to access a page because he/she does not belong to a certain role/roles specified in web.config, than the user is redirected to the login page. Now my question. Is it possible, at the login page, to programmticly check which role/roles the user had to be in to be able to see the page requested and show this roles for the user? So that ...

Web resources about - User access to a page - asp.net.web-forms

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

Dozens of government agencies request access to citizen metadata without warrants
Metadata legislation was meant to reduce access to private records, but it appears non-law enforcement agencies remain hungry for it.

Attorney-General George Brandis appeals decision on access to his diary
... George Brandis is challenging a tribunal's ruling that his office reconsider a request from shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus for access ...

Apple asks widow to get court order to access her iPad, locked after her husband's death
Unlike so many of the things David had left for Peggy in his will &mdash; car ownership, the title of the house, basically everything he owned ...

Make your own kid-friendly home internet access
It's not hard to filter out the worst of the internet without installing crippling net nanny software on every device in your home.

Attorney-General George Brandis fights order to reconsider giving Mark Dreyfus access to diary
George Brandis is appealing a tribunal decision forcing him to reconsider a freedom of information request to hand over his diary the Opposition. ...

ISPs try to kill open-access fiber network, avoid competition
... infrastructure and not the "last mile" fiber connections that extend to people's homes and businesses. This network would be open access, however, ...

Netflix starts to block proxy and VPN access
... has already started to impose new restrictions. Some Netflix customers in Autralia who are using the uFlix VPN have noticed that their access ...

Pro-choice groups go on 'offense' to broaden abortion access
... Two pro-choice groups announced Wednesday that they are launching a broad campaign to pass state legislation that will expand women's access ...

Netflix is blocking Australian users who access US content
Last week, Netflix said it would be bringing down the hammer on people who use VPNs (or other similar means) to access geo-restricted content. ...