Uploading files on a web form

HI everyone,

Being new to ASP.Net the only thing I know is that web forms don't support drag and drop and that they don't support the system.windows.form openFileDialog method. so, my question is:
I need to have a button display a modal pop up window (with a fixed size) where the user can find a file to upload, which by the way I have no clue how to do. Then, I need to display the file's path and name on a textbox to let the user know that the file has been selected and upload the file to a new location.
I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
0
sagitario34

To have a file upload control, you can use the following code:-

<input id="inpAttach" type="file" runat="server">

This would provide a Browse button and a textbox. User can click on the browse button and select the file. The selected file will be displayed in the textbox.
Then, you need to have a button and on its click event, you need to write the logic for saving the file to a location. That can be accomplished with the following code:-

inpAttach.PostedFile.SaveAs

where inpAttach is the id of the input type as above.
Thanks.
regards,
Harish

http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh
0
ranganh
10/6/2004 6:59:57 AM
i need to upload file to server,when i have given relative path...it is not uploading.

do i need to give relative path,if so how do i know relative path,bcoz i have purchased space from third parties.

my code is below.do modifications to it and please send it to me
Dim strFileName As String = MyFile.PostedFile.FileName
' only the attched file name not its path
Dim c As String = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(strFileName)
'Save uploaded file to server at
Try
Dim str As String = Server.MapPath(c)
MyFile.PostedFile.SaveAs(Server.MapPath(c))
Response.Write("Your File Uploaded Sucessfully at server as: " & c)
Catch Exp As Exception
Response.Write(Exp.Message) '"An Error occured. Please check the attached file")
End Try
the same code is not working,if relative path is given,working in localsystem...is it is compulsary to give even for server
0
mschary
10/6/2004 1:09:31 PM
hi,

I have problem with htmlinputfile
i have htmlinputfile and dropdownlist with onchange event
i selected a file on clicking the browse button then onchanging the dropdownlist the selected file in the htmlinputfile is missing
how to put return value in htmlinputfile
any ideas
thanks
0
arjunender
10/6/2004 1:14:38 PM
hi,

refreshing my post
arjunender

Did you add the runat =server attribute for the htmlinputfile tag?
That would enable viewstate such that the value is maintained across post packs.
thanks.
regards,
Harish

http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh
0
ranganh
10/8/2004 1:42:51 PM
BE VERY CAREFUL when using <input type=file>.

In IE, the value of the input box is the file name only.
In Firefox (i guess netscape too?), the value is the WHOLE path to client's computer's local file.

This only affects the program when trying to save the upload file in it's original name.
0
cyberguest

Thats an interesting input. I haven't tested with firefox.
thanks for the input anyway.
regards,
Harish

http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh
0
ranganh
10/8/2004 2:03:24 PM
Check out Request.ServerVariables...

Some very useful properties here including:
Local Path of a page: Request.ServerVariables("PATH_TRANSLATED")
Host Name: Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_HOST")
Folder/Filename: Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")
I used these to determine where my images folder was when uploading an image. My app works in mozilla no problem.
Its also useful for referencing files in the database as paths.
0
GregD

I have the following Upload problem:
I have to upload a file WITHOUT requiring the user to BROWSE for it
(The file will be at known location to the program).
Is it possible?

Thanks,
Spaoind
0
spaoind
10/8/2004 3:31:31 PM
This would be a major security hole.  Thank goodness no browser I know of allows this...
0
stiletto
10/9/2004 12:57:36 AM
hmm with the uploading

how can i upload a large file?
there must be a setting somewhere in asp.net that allow us to chnage the max file size.
Does anyone know?
0
kakashi0124
10/13/2004 11:50:52 PM
Find the machine.config on your server and search for maxrequestlength.  That key in kilobytes is the maximum size that can be processed by the worker process before it recycles.
0
stiletto

WEB FORMS and datasetS (do I have to repeat the file definition in every web form?)
I am working on vb.net.I have a project with 35 web forms and an access file with 18 tables.Until now I have defined the oledbadapters in every form by dragging the tables from the server explorer tool box.This is not a good idea because every time that I make a change on the database design I have to drag the new definition on 35 web forms and I have to create the datasets again. This is boring and time consuming!The question is:WHAT CAN I DO TO HAVE THE FILE DEFINITION ONLY IN ONE PLACE AND THAT EVERY WEB FORM WOULD TAKE THE DATA ADAPTERS AND DATASETS FROM THERE? how about if you write a...

Web forms and mobile web forms

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

Include web form inside web form

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

Hello, I have a principal form with a list of information. From this form, I go on an edit forms and I want to control what is done on this form. For this, I want to block the button Windows back on my edit form. Somebody can help me ? Thank you for your help.  Jy. set the Session Variable (with your ID or whatever ) in the Principal Form when user click on Edit then put the One Back Button on your edit form and Redirect the page by using the Session variable value.Please Mark as Answred If This Blog has Helped You.RegardsMitesh Darjihttp://www.indianic.comhttp://www.mitatdotnet....

Strange output in web form after web form is displayed.
   I have been using a web user control for over a week now with no problems. I am now getting strange output in my web form after my controls display on the page. Below is the strange output. Can anyone tell me what is wrong here? Note I did not include it all because it is quite large.   Request Details Session Id: l5b5vkazucfatba4oliaw1vi Request Type: POST Time of Request: 9/10/2007 4:59:59 PM Status Code: 200 Request Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Response Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Trace Information Category Message From First(s) F...

Web resources about - Uploading files on a web form - asp.net.web-forms

Uploading and downloading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Examples of a remote system from which a download might be performed include a web server , FTP server, email server, or other similar systems. ...

Facebook Lets You Tag Photos While They're Uploading
Facebook now lets you add tags to photos before they're finished uploading.

Facebook for iPhone 3.0 to Include Video Uploading for 3GS Owners
We’ve heard a lot of people say the iPhone’s built-in support for YouTube video uploading is going to make a huge impact on the number of people ...

Defence bureaucrat pleads guilty to uploading secret document online
... embarrassing security breach with &quot;Five Eyes&quot; intelligence document. A former junior Defence bureaucrat has pleaded guilty to uploading ...

Uploading Bautista bat flip GIFs could get you sued under TPP, copyright activists warn
Copyright activists say Canadians could face lawsuits, fines or worse for ripping the latest Justin Bieber CD or uploading an animated GIF of ...

Xiaomi apologizes for uploading address book data from smartphones without permission
Former Android head and Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra has apologized to owners of its smartphones for "any concern caused" by collecting contact data ...

Senator calls for FTC investigation of Apple and Google over stealth photo uploading capabilities
Is this how we’ll have to open apps in the future? When we broke the news that iOS (and later Android) apps could upload your photo library (along ...

YouTubers Now Uploading Over 35 Hours Of Video Per Minute!
This week YouTube's got some big news! YouTubers are now uploading over 35 hours of video per minute, up from 24 hours a minute in March.

Google Play Books updated with new design, PDF and EPUB uploading
Caught up in all of the hullabaloo around the keynote, Google Play Books received a notable update in the Play Store to not only bring new UI ...

Twitter rolling out group messaging, 30-second video uploading
Fast Company Twitter rolling out group messaging, 30-second video uploading Android Community Different social networks are doing everything ...