The 'Text' and 'SelectedItem.value' properties of DropDownList

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me the differece between the DDL.Text and DDL.SelectedItem.Value property of a DropDownList DDL?

Can they be used interchangeably?

Thanks

 Tony

0
ktlau859

If you have a dropdown list with the following

dropdown.Items.Add("Monday", "mon")

The text value will be Monday and the value will be mon. However if you define

dropdown.Items.Add("Monday")

then both the text and value will be Monday. Hope that helps

0
simon
1/30/2009 10:04:26 AM

Both will give you the Value of the Selected Item

So if you need text

DropDownList1.SelectedItem.Text

For Value use

DropDownList1.SelectedItem.Value

MVP ASP/ASP.Net
MVP ASP/ASP.Net
mudassarkhan

''''''''''''''''''''

'''''

'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
I'm attempting to invoke with parameters:  Dim thing2 As New mydelsubPBStep(AddressOf pbStep) Me.Invoke(thing2, "setMax", dt.Rows.Count)      <---- this is where the error occurs   the delegate looks like this: Private Delegate Sub mydelsubPBStep(ByVal mode As String, ByVal value As Integer)   the function it's calling looks like this:Private Sub pbStep(ByVal mode As String, ByVal value As Integer) Select Case mode.ToLower Case "clear" ProgressBar1.Value = 0 Case "step" ProgressBar1.PerformStep() L...

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

'''

DataBinding: 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList' does not contain a property with the name 'Value'.
i'm using gridview and i'm changing the GRIDVIEW data based on what i have selected in my dropdownlist<asp:DropDownList ID="ddlPageItems" runat="server" Font-Names="Verdana" Font-Size="11px"AutoPostBack="True" OnSelectedIndexChanged="ddlPageItems_SelectedIndexChanged"><asp:ListItem Text="All" Value="0"></asp:ListItem><asp:ListItem Text="ABGY" Value="5"></asp:ListItem><asp:ListItem Text="AFT" Value="10" Selected="True"&...

populate a dropdownlist 'Text' & 'Value' fields
Useing Web Matric and coding in C#. I put a DropDownList on the form and bring up the Properties box and I can enter a 'Text name' and then a 'Value' item. So the list displays the name 'Leo', the 'Value' has been set to a color I use, say Green. I select Leo and and can use the value with no problems. My question is in stead of hard coding all the various 'Text' and 'Value' entries, how can I do that in code. I use : DropDownList.Items.Add(UserEnterdName.Text); (a text box) and I get the data in but it puts it in both the 'Text' and the 'Value' field. So if I enter Leo here I get Leo out wh...

'IN' Clause or 'OR'
Hello, [1]: select * from TABLEA where COL1 IN('value1','value2''valu3'....) [2]:select * from TABLEA where COL1 = 'value1' OR COL1= 'value2' OR COL1='valu3'. TABLEA is a huge table and it has non-clustered index on COL1. Among the above 2 queries, which query will give me the better performance or fast response and WHY? What is the difference between 'IN' and 'OR' clauses as for as Sybase Optimization is concerned. Which is the better one to be used on huge tables. Thanks. Mac An IN list is treated ...

'b'..'a'

'or' or 'union'

'Text' is not a member of 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList'
Ive got a problem here.I had a script that took user registration info from a form and added it to a database. I had a few issues with relpacing characters and someone gave my some advice on simplifing my script.  Now i am having loads of problems with it.First of all it is now throwing the error above'Text' is not a member of 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList'Basically i have a dropdown box with counties in it, oh god this asp.net is killing meSorry code dump:<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ Import Namespace="System.Data.OleDb" %>  <script language="...

Why 'and' not '&&' ? (was Cleaning up 'uninitialized value')
> Use: > > if (@ARGV and -T $ARGV[0]) { ... } Just wondering if there is a reason for using the lower precedence 'and' here instead of '&&'? I haven't been finding many uses for 'and' which tells me I might not fully understand it. Thanks, Peter C. On May 30, Peter Cornelius said: >> if (@ARGV and -T $ARGV[0]) { ... } > >Just wondering if there is a reason for using the lower precedence 'and' >here instead of '&&'? I haven't been finding many uses for 'and' which >tells...

'System.Web.UI.Control.Context' denotes a 'property' where a 'class' was expected
I get the following error when trying to compile my project. The call to Context lies in a usercontrol. It works fine when called from a page, but how do I call it from a usercontrol? private User _currentUser = new User(Context.User.Identity.Name); 'System.Web.UI.Control.Context' denotes a 'property' where a 'class' was expected Firefox - The browser you can trust Update: private User _currentUser = new User(Context.User.Identity.Name);Is declared inside the class, not in a function. Like: public class Someclass : System.Web.UI.UserControl { private User _currentUser = new...

Web resources about - The 'Text' and 'SelectedItem.value' properties of DropDownList - asp.net.web-forms