The project appears to be under source control, but the associated source control plug-in is not installed on this computer. Source control will be disabled for this project.

Hi Everyone

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this on but here goes anyway.

I have a project built in VS2003. I would like to open this with VS2008.  It was created by another company and we have been asked to modify the project.

When I open the project it comes up with a message "The source control provider associated with this solution could not be found. The projects will be treated as not under source control.

This makes a large amount of the project unavailable.

How do I stop this and view the whole project?

Rob

"Man is the best computer…and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labour”
0
Elmbrook

I could be wrong, but from my understanding you'll need the VS source control plugin used by the other company, whether it's VSS or whatever.  There is no way to disable the message or bypass it.  If there's a way to obtain the same source control plugin the other company was using when they created the project and install that on the machine you're opening the project with, that should solve the problem.  If you don't have access to the plugin or knowledge of what source control they were using, I'm not sure you'll be able to open the project as expected.

I had a similar problem once before with a VSS installation that became corrupt.  I couldn't open any of my projects.  I ended up opening each file of the project in notepad, creating a whole new project, and copying/pasting the notepad code into the new project, then saving it outside of source control just to modify it and update it.  The problem arises when you're working with a project that has nested projects, and hundreds of forms/pages, etc.  fortunately for me this project was very small.

HTH

If this response answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" above. Thank you!
0
azpcc
4/1/2009 9:17:35 PM

HTH - I don't think so Big Smile. This is quite a big project and I do not want to open each file.

Is there no other way around it?

The previous company is not around anymore hence we are looking at making modifications to the project.

Oh the joys of programming...

Thanks for your feedback, I do appreciate it.

Rob

"Man is the best computer…and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labour”
0
Elmbrook
4/1/2009 9:36:36 PM

Yikes, definitely NOT a good idea to rebuild each file then!  To the best of my knowledge, the only way is to have the same source control plugin available in your environment as well.  There isn't a backdoor way of getting around it.  I've seen several posts similar to this where MSFT staff have replied the same way.  I believe the two most popular source control solutions used right now are VSS and Subversion.  It might be worth a shot, unless someone else jumps in with a better answer, to download each and see if that allows you to open the project properly.  I know if VSS is used there will be a .vssscc file in the solution directory, along with a vssver.scc file.  If it's Subversion, there will be a hidden .svn folder in the solution directory.  Wish I could give you a more pleasant response!  Sad

If this response answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" above. Thank you!
0
azpcc
4/1/2009 10:55:40 PM

Thanks for the help anyway.

Have a good day. Big Smile

Rob

"Man is the best computer…and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labour”
0
Elmbrook

Web resources about - The project appears to be under source control, but the associated source control plug-in is not installed on this computer. Source control will be disabled for this project. - asp.net.web-forms

Cruz Slams Trump for "Trumpertantrum"
Donald Trump's moment of humility after placing second to Ted Cruz in the Iowa caucuses turned out to be shorter than one of his infamous tweets. ...

I am weirdly excited about this new Seth Rogen space comedy
Seth Rogen demonstrates his Kylo Ren lightsaber joint. Seth Rogen, Bill Hader, and Zach Galifianakis are set to star in a new astronaut movie ...

GOP Candidates Back Anti-Gay Bill That Also Punishes Straight Sex
"Here's another fine mess you've gotten us into, Stanley." Christopher Halloran / Shutterstock.com Okay, so you already know that the Republican ...

Miley Cyrus Joins 'The Voice' as Key Adviser, Immediately Starts Licking Things
Miley Cyrus has joined The Voice as this season’s key adviser! The 23-year-old “We Can’t Stop” singer shared the news via Twitter on Wednesday ...

US Zika case sparks questions about sex and mosquito germs
NEW YORK (AP) — A sexually transmitted case of Zika in Texas has scientists scrambling to understand how much of a risk infection through sex ...

'Alto's Adventure' is coming to Android next week, and it's free
Alto's Adventure was one of the best games to launch on the iPhone last year the beautiful visuals, addictive gameplay, and chill soundtrack ...

Mall CEO’s Comment About Amazon Stores Not Meant To Represent Amazon’s Actual Plans
Yesterday, everyone from book lovers to Barnes & Noble shareholders reacted to a tiny piece of news about Amazon during another company’s routine ...

Google Fiber gives free gigabit Internet to poor people
A Kansas City resident and her son, two of the first people to get free gigabit Internet from Google Fiber. (credit: Google ) Google Fiber today ...

Robert Durst Pleads Guilty on Gun Charges, So Now He Can Deal With Those Murder Issues
Real estate heir and unsettlingly-faced man Robert Durst has pleaded guilty in New Orleans to illegal possession of a firearm. He’ll serve 85 ...

Muslims Dismiss Obama’s Mosque Visit as #TooLateObama
More Jimmy Carter Calls Campaign Finance Rules ‘Legal Bribery’ Why Obama Is Underplaying a Major Accomplishment Obama Will Visit a Mosque for ...