Session Variables (Get values)

Hi,

I am storing some variables in Session, Double values, Integers and Strings.
Sometimes these values can be null or empty ("").

While retrieving these values from session I will declare a variable of its type. Let say for example I want to get a Double value from Session.

Dim dblAmount as Double
dblAmount = Session("sessAmount")

Here I am getting trouble when value is empty, its giving an error
Conversion from string "" to type 'Double' is not valid.

How to handle this kind of situations? Let me know your suggestion.

asppick

Hi. Before assigning the value, check if the session variable is null, something like this:

If session("xxx") IsNot Nothing then

dblAmount = Session("sessAmount")

end if

0
mariop77

This can be done like this in VB.NET

Dim dblAmount as Double
If Not IsNothing(Session("sessAmount")) Then
dblAmount = Session("sessAmount")
Else
dblAmount = 0
End If

HTH

Regards

ASP.NET Hosting (HostingFest)
0
smiling4ever
4/16/2007 3:09:04 PM

Another option: use Double.TryParse method.

My last project - .NET Tip of The Day.org
0
Sirko

How to get session variable value into a static variable
Hi, On page preinit i am adding few session variables. Now i want to retrive these session variable values into my static variables. protected void Page_PreInit(object sender, EventArgs e) {Session.Add("T", "Default"); Session.Add("T1", "Red"); Session.Add("T2", "Blue");   }   i have few static variables which shud contain these vaules.  public string TT; public string TT1; public string TextForeColor =sess = "#FFFFFF";   i want to get T value into TT ... T1 into TT1..and so on &n...

getting values from a web form to windows form
Hot Requirement ..... Is there any possible of getting values from a web form to windows form ????? Yes One way i to use the WebRequest and WebResponse classes of the System.Net namespace. For example:  WebRequest request = WebRequest.Create("URL of the web page); WebResponse response = request.GetResponse(); StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(response.GetResponseStream()); string content = reader.ReadLine(); ....    Reza Nassabehwww.professionalcsharp.comDon't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way fut...

how i can get the one form variable values in other forms?????
iam going to pass values of one form to another formlike asfollows.. f1=CType(Context.Handler ,f1);here f1 is form object this will be used in some other form.iam try ing to use to global variables of first form in to second form.while compilation it show s an error like as follws:"The name 'CType' does not exist in the class or namespace 'PassingValuesForms.Form2'can you giv aslo pls..thanks in advance..ramsCheersRam MCP CType is for the VB.NET language exclusively. By adding a semicolon to your code, I'm guessing you are using C#.CType provides VB users with typecasting. In C#, the lang...

Getting value out of session variable
 Hi,How to get the value of a session. It is storing the dataset value. I dont know how to transfer that to a variable.   private SearchDotnet.Searchs.UserSearch sSite;  if ((sSite == null))          {             sSite = Session["Site"];           }         }  The thing is sSite is  delcared as above. I need to unload the session variable to sSite. Have not found a...

getting value of session variable
I'm trying to display the value of a session variable in a label. I know the session variable exists because in my page load event I redirect the user to a different page if it's value is null. I want to display it's value in a label to test some things, but I keep getting an error whenever I try.  Here is my code:   Label:<asp:Label ID="lblSessionTest" runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>  How I'm trying to display it (in my page load event):  lblSessionTest.Text = Session("loggedIn"); &nbs...

Get listbox value from the other web form
 Dear all, I want to get the lisbox selecteditem value to a textbox in one web form from the other web page. Should I use session to get this value?Can any one help in this regard? Thanks a lot in advance.  People Develop People Yes you can use Session to get the informations between cross pages.. see below for your referenceTO STORE THE INFO in Session Session["key"] = ListBox1.SelectedItem.Value; Response.Redirect("Page2.aspx");TO GET THE VALUES FROM Sessionprotected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e){    if (Sessio...

Session variable value gets lost
I am using asp.net 3.0 with C#. My web application requires some values that is used across my User Controls. These values are pertaining to the login user name and User type. When each user is logged in I store that username and user type in a session variable and whenever i need to used it like in a query I just called the string variable that is assigned to the Session variable. My problem is sometimes my session object/ string variable loses its value and I am wondering is there another way of storing my User's credential so that the value will not be lost until the User closes his/h...

session variables in javascript on a web form
Hi All, I have master page on which I have written a javascript which open ups a new window when user clicks on menu item placed on the left side of master page. The javascript follows  function OpenWind()       {         <% if( HttpContext.Current.Session["Id"]==null) { %>                alert('Session Expired! Redirecting to login page!');           &nb...

Getting a session variable value in Servlet
Hi, I am using psSession to set and get session variables in PowerDynamo scripts. I also had to use servlets for serving some of the pages. I want to access the session variables I have set in PowerDynamo scripts from my servlet. I tried session.getValue from my servlet. But it returns a null in servlet. Any ideas as to how I can get the values of session variables in my servlet? TIA, Mani. Mani, I would think that because they are two different session types you could not do this. A workaround would be to create a cookie that you can use from either spot Scott ...

How to get session variable values in webpart?
Anyone know that how to get session variable values in webpart? I developed a ASP.NET page to accept a input order code e.g. "E923829" and set it as session variable for the following working page. One of the working page is containing a webpart to show this order summary e.g. number of items and total price. I'm using VB.NET to develop this webpart. I'd tried to use Dim OrderNumber as string = Page.session("ORDER_NUMER"). But this will cause error while loading the webpart. Your advice will very appreciated....

Session variables not pointing to Request.Form Values
I am trying to take the value a user inputs from a form and put it into a session variable.  The basic code (on Page1) is thus:Session("first_name") = Request.Form("first_name")If I reference the session variable on that same page (such as <%= Session("first_name") %>) it works fine.   However, when I go to a new page (Page2) it does not work anymore, the session variable just shows up blank.  If I go back to the first page and set the session variable equal to a simple string it works and will show up fine on both pages.  Like thu...

Web resources about - Session Variables (Get values) - asp.net.web-forms

Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been a hard year'
... 41° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been ...