Selection in one dropdown list effecting the visibility of another dropdown list

I have two drop down lists. They are not databound.

 We'll called them dropdownlist1 and dropdownlist2.

Basicly, I want people to choose an object in the first dropdownlist. Depending on their selection, it will make certain items in dropdownlist2 invisible.

Currently my thought is to have something in the lines of the following (In the dropdownlist1 - SelectedIndexChanged - Postback being set to Auto)

if dropdownlist1.text = "Such and such" then

(this is where I would declare which options are available)

However, I do not know the proper syntax of saying make the following items invisible.

I am willing to go about this a different way if there is an even easier way.  I know it's a lot more coding with the if - then but there are not that many combinations with what I want to do. However, I am thinking of future considerations where I might have a lot more data in the dropdownlists.

So how should I go about doing this?

0
TheDups

You can set autopostback for the DropDownList1 to true and for the DropDownList2 to false. In Page_Load (not on PostBack) you can databind first and second DropDownList. On postback you should databind only first dropdown and in DropDownList1_SelectedIndexChanged you should databind your second DropDownList. If you are reading values from database then you can make filtering in DropDownList1_SelectedIndexChanged for second DropDownList data (filter is DropDownList1.SelectedValue).

Blog: http://blogs.mscommunity.net/blogs/borissevo/

Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post fixed your problem.
0
bsevo

one dropdown list affecting another dropdown list vb.net
I am desgining a website using VB.NET wherein the data items of one dropdown list depends on the selection of a data item in the previous dropdown list something similar to selection of country USA from 1st dropdown list...triggers 2nd dropdown with list of states in USA How can this be accomplished.... Any help will be appreciated... Thanks & Best Regards... hi boy,first I suggest turn on auto postback on first dropdownlist. In select index changes(first dropdownlist) - select value on second dropdownlist My blog is here.Please remember to 'Mark as Answer' i...

Filling a dropdown list, based on a selection from another dropdown list
This seemed like a simple venture, and may be, but with my limited asp.net knowledge, I am having a problem... Basically, I have a page that is gathering information. I want a user to be able to select a value from a dropdown list... On Auto postback I would like to make a second listbox visible and bind data to it based on the selection from the first. (While keeping the value of the first listbox available) Right now I am filling my dataset with the tables used in the page load event and setting my second listbox.visible to false. in the SelectedIndex_change event of the first...

Populate dropdown list based on selected value in another dropdown list
I have a datagrid (grdCar) that contains two dropdown listboxes (ddlCarManf and ddlCar). When the user clicks the "Edit" link and places the grid into edit mode, they select a value in ddlCarManf. Based on the selected value in ddlCarManf, I need to then populate ddlCar with a list of cars for which the selected manufacturer makes (I'm using ddlCarManf.SelectedValue to query the database).  I bind my datagrid in the page_load event as: If Not Page.IsPostBack Then    BindGrid() End If Here is my control (ddlCarManf) as is appears within grdCar in ...

automatically generating content in a dropdown list based on the selection of another dropdown list
hi i currently have a "categories" dropdown list i'm using to help filter data in a datagrid (have it setup using data and table adapters). i've introduced another dropdown list (called subcategories) to filter the datagrid so it only displays records that fit in both the category and subcategories.it all works fine, but i'm wanting to set it so the subcategories dropdown list gets generated on the client-side depending on the category selected. does anybody have any quick tutorials or a quick explination on how i could do this? am i missin...

can i drag the selected value of dropdown list in one web part to another web part
hi, supose i am having time displaying in on webpart can i drag the value of time to another web part and and display the time is: and the value draged from the other webpart so i want to drag the value year and population into antoher web part and according to that the grap must appear i.e what  i exactly want is i must drag some value from one webpart to onother webpart and according to event some thing must happen in another web part   Hi, The problem has been replied in the following post: http://forums.asp.net/t/1141884.aspx But from the title you described, do ...

Dropdown list bound to another dropdown list
I have two dropdown lists on my page. The first contains a list of names and the second contains a list of hardware devices. My problem is: When i choose a name from the first dropdown i need the second to become populated with their related devices. This works fine, however if i then change the name in the first dropdown list, it adds another set of devices to the devices dropdown list. The way i want it to work is to refresh the devices dropdown when the name is changed. So that only that persons related devices show up (in the second dropdown)  Any help would be much apprecia...

Cascading Dropdown List
Hi, First post so hello and need some help with an issue I have been dealing with.  I have an intranet page I created in ASP.NET using C# .NET 3.5 with a few Ajax Extenders including 3 Cascading Dropdown Lists. Now I have used the Cascading dropdown lists for my own purposes i.e they do not actually cascade their results to another dropdown list, the reason I did this was due to the having a User Control that contains an update panel and other bits i.e I didn't want the control/page posting page (something that happens when you click on a regular dropdown list). Everything is wor...

Filter dropdown list from another dropdown list
Help Please!!! I am trying to filter the data in a dropdown list from information chosen in another dropdown list. 1st table has modification types, 2nd table has modifications. When the user chooses the modification type needed, then only those modifications should appear in the 2nd list. mydata7 = New SqlDataAdapter("Select * from ModificationList ", myconnection) ds7 = New DataSet mydata7.Fill(ds7, "table") Dim dr7 As DataRow ddlModification.Items.Add("Please select Modification ...") ...

Hide dropdown list based on other dropdown list selection
Hi, i have an aspx page with a form. I want to hide dropdown list b depending on what is selected for dropdown list a. I need to do this client side Im new to this so any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance   could you explai briefly about your requirements? you want to maske dropdownlist b as invisible if you select any item on dropdownlist a? or you want to make it invisible for a specific item?   Hi,     Change the visibility of dropdownlist as false on selected index change. Private Sub ddl_a_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Syste...

Using a selection from a dropdown list to fill in a second dropdown list.
Hi,  I am new to the web programming area and looking for some help.  I have a situation where, like i said in my subject trying to base the list in the ddl2, to be based on the selection from ddl1.  What do i all need to include to do this.  As of now, I have two seperate SQL data sources, with the first one I have it just selecting from our database.  For the second list, I have a second sql data source that does a selection of a different column from teh same database but in the where clause have a parameter that will equal the selection from teh first.. &n...

Populate a Dropdown List based on the value of another Dropdown List
 Hi ALL,    I have two Dropdown List.I need to Populate second Dropdown List based on the value of first Dropdown List.I am n't using Update Panel.Pls suggest me RegardsSri ASP.NET AJAX Cascading DropdownDarrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!   just populate second dropdown in SelectedIndexChanged event of the first dropdown. Muhammad ShoaibSoftware Engineer,Lahore, Pakistanwww.heartofpakistan.com (U/C)--------------------------------Mark it as ANSWER if it Helps U   Check out this link with co...

How to combind two dropdown list values into one dropdown list?
Hi All, I refered some websites, they are combinding two dropdown list values into single, but i don't know .Net will support it or not? If any body knows it plz tell me how to achieve it?? EX: Go to Naukri.com and select Functional Area dropdown list there u can see main & sub category names in one dropdown list!!!   Thanks, Aswath.  hi just concatenate , or - for ex:Dropdownlist1.Datatextfield= maincategory & "," & Subcategory Regards,M.VenkatesanMy Blog : http://venkat-dotnetsamples.blogspot.comPlease remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the pos...

Can I populate a Dropdown list in a GridView from another Dropdown list
Hi there, I have a Gridview control that contains 2 DDLs. The first one is populated on page load (from a Generic list in the code behind) and is working with no problems. I want to populate the 2nd DDL by making a selection in the first DDL which in turn would call a DB method and cause a postback. I've tried using the "OnSelectedIndexChanged" method for the DDL and the "FindControl" method for the 2nd DDL, but the GridView can't find it on Postback and throws an error. I've also tried using the "onSelectedIndexChanged" method for the GridView bu...

Web resources about - Selection in one dropdown list effecting the visibility of another dropdown list - asp.net.web-forms

Visibility polygon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The visibility polygon or visibility region for a point p in the plane among non-transparent obstacles is the possibly unbounded polygonal region ...

Facebook Marketing Doubled Holiday Visibility For Amazon, Best Buy, Target And Walmart
Amazon.com, Best Buy, Target and Walmart all enjoyed a boost in their brand visibility as a result of social media promotions this holiday season ...

Giving People More Visibility and Control
Giving People More Visibility and Control

High visibility clothing for females developed by Queensland woman
While they might be getting good salaries, women in the mining industry haven't had good options when it comes to their work uniforms.

Cash visibility tops list in first Asia-Pacific treasury report
Improving cash visibility is the top priority for treasury departments across the Asia-Pacific yet technology adoption remains inadequate, according ...

Government's poor visibility over gay marriage debate
The gay marriage issue is causing some confusion within the Abbott government. Perhaps we should ask the fashion designers for their thoughts. ...

High-visibility clothing won't help cyclists
High-visibility clothing does not deter drivers from dangerously overtaking cyclists on shared roadways, new research has found.

Nenshi proclaims Trans Day of Visibility
Mayor Naheed Nenshi proclaimed Sunday as Trans Day of Visibility in Calgary, while Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel has announced that March 31 ...

Xi'an brand visibility growing
Xi'an brand visibility growing People's Daily Online In a large country like China, businesses are sometimes faced the tough question as to ...