Re-Using form input value in code behind

Hi,

I am trying to reuse an input value from a form in multiple areas in my code behind. My aspx file uses panels. first panel sets the value of a name and posts it to a dB: eg

<asp:TextBox ID="name" runat="server" width="180" MaxLength="50" />

<asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Submit" OnClick="Button1_Click"/>

code behind:

protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["MyDB"].ConnectionString);

connection.Open();

string sql = "insert into supplier (name) Values (" + name.Text + "')";

SqlCommand command = new SqlCommand(sql, connection);

command.ExecuteNonQuery();

//Response.Write(sql);

connection.Close();

P1.Visible = false;

P2.Visible = true;

}

I want to use the value from name.Text in another OnClick event, for simplicity sake I just want to write it.

{

Response.Write("here is the variable" + name.Text);

}

It won't write and therefore I can't use it in other events

Thanks,

Doug

Thanks,

Doug
0
dotnet714

That will work as long as there is a Button2 and a Button2_Click event handler in the same page class.

NC...

0
NC01
3/10/2006 6:22:59 PM

NC,

Thanks for taking a look.....

You know, some times it pays to take a break and walk away. It does work, I was not putting data into the form field so it obviously would not display..........

Thanks again,

Doug

Thanks,

Doug
0
dotnet714
3/10/2006 7:14:22 PM

No problem Doug. Happens to all of us at one time or another.

NC...

0
NC01

Web Forms Designer error
Hi, The web forms designer keeps adding things in a generated InitializeComponent() method. I believe these things shouldn't be there because I've made a new webform with the same code that doesn't add the same stuff. Is there anyway I can see the Web Designer code? Thanks. Just expand out the hidden #region. It is labeled Web Form Designer CodeStarting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:Programming Microsoft Web Forms My Blog...

Use datastore in Web form code-behind
I am developing a new web application. I have some reports in old legacy system that are written in PB but have to migrate to web. So I migrate the old dw by Datawindow Designer first. And I decide to instance a datastore in web form code-behind, set its datawindow object and retrieve, then save the output as pdf or excel and redirect the saved file back to the browser. The following is the piece of C# codes: Sybase.DataWindow.DataStore ds = new Sybase.DataWindow.DataStore(); this.oleDbConnection1.Open(); Sybase.DataWindow.AdoTransaction tran = new Sybase.DataWindow.AdoTransa...

how to change these windows form code to web form code?
hi, i'm a beginner of c#,i want to know how to change these windows form code to web form code //////////// private void buttonSign_Click( object sender, System.EventArgs e) { //get original message as byte array byte[] messagebytes = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes( textOriginalMessage.Text); //create digest of original message using SHA1 SHA1 sha1 = new SHA1CryptoServiceProvider(); byte[] hashbytes = sha1.ComputeHash(messagebytes); //display hash bytes in hex format StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder(); for (...

referencing textboxes on web forms using code behind
 Hello: On my web form I have several text boxes named from textbox1 to textbox30. How do I "reference" these text boxes in code behind "vb.net"? Say i wish to write a for loop. for i = 1 to 30 textbox[i].text.length>0 stmt... next i How do I code this part? You can get idea from following link http://forums.asp.net/p/1148526/1866897.aspx-SuganRemember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post If you get answer from this post(s) ! Try the FindControl method.For i = 1 To 30 Dim txt As...

Getting the values form the previous form and re-use in saving connection doesn't work...
Hello,I have a web form and each web form is saving to a specific user folder.  When the user login with their username and password and go to the web form, fill-out all the information and save to the user folder database, the saving data to the database is working, but now I want to change the directory of the saving data to a specific user folder control db that based on the username, but seems like didn't get to the right user valid path, So instead of this directory 'C:\WINNT\profiles\controls\test.mdb' , I want to save it in a user folder database with their username l...

Getting undefined value while using view state in Web Form Designer generated code
hi,    i am trying to get the drop down list selected value in Web Form Designer generated code,when i am trying it with view state i am getting some undefined value.please help me regarding this.. i am trying with the following code.        refinery =  ddRefineries.SelectedRefinery; ViewState.Add("ref1",refinery); #region Web Form Designer generated code        override protected void OnInit(EventArgs e)        {          &nbs...

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

Using Win Form controls in web forms
Hi All,   Please tell me if i can't use the window forms controls in my webform. What if i simply import the System.windows.forms Namespace. Definitely this will help me to expose the class & methods, but will they work accordingly when get rendered. I am totally confused.. please help me. Thanks Simple answer:  You can't.  Webforms controls render as HTML; while this may be possible to achieve with Winforms controls by invoking the design-time rendering, I doubt it's going to work very well.What control are you trying to use?Peter BrunoneMS MVP, ASP.NETFounder, Easy...

getting values from a web form to windows form
Hot Requirement ..... Is there any possible of getting values from a web form to windows form ????? Yes One way i to use the WebRequest and WebResponse classes of the System.Net namespace. For example:  WebRequest request = WebRequest.Create("URL of the web page); WebResponse response = request.GetResponse(); StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(response.GetResponseStream()); string content = reader.ReadLine(); ....    Reza Nassabehwww.professionalcsharp.comDon't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way fut...

Web forms and mobile web forms

Web resources about - Re-Using form input value in code behind - asp.net.web-forms

Re-Using The LCD & Button Assembly From A Broken Inkjet Printer
Inkjet printers are a dime a dozen. You probably have taken old printers apart to scavenge parts like motors, pulleys, belts, switches, linear ...