Pasting from Word - character unrecognized

When a user pastes text from a Word document that contains an apostrophe or double quote (and possibly other special characters), they are NOT the normal apostrophe or double quote.

Example -
normal apostrophe: '
Word pasted apostrophe: ‘
normal double quote: "
Word pasted apostrophe: “
What can I do to convert these characters to something I can insert into my database, then read back out again? Right now, Oracle is converting them to upside down question marks and then they display as boxes in HTML.
The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

If my post has helped you, please "Mark as Answer".
0
thermalnoise

Did you ever figure this out?  I need help!
0
hmenches
4/15/2006 9:56:33 PM

I had the same problem when tryig to copy a text containing single quotes from Ms word.

 The problem is because the ASCII code of the single quote in MS word is interpreted differently.

Basically MS word stores singlequotes as   ’ where as it needs to be interpreted as for Oracle (note the difference)

 This fixed my problem: txtinput.Text.Trim().Replace("’", "'")

Sathya

0
sathyabits

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

.Net Web Form & Web Service Deployment

How to convert web form(web page) to a word document
Hi Guys.Can any one give me a hint on how to  convert a web form (a web page) to a word document.Thank You...

Web forms and mobile web forms

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

.Net Web Forms
what is the best way to create a multi-page web insurance quote form (similar to Geico) that will insert information into a database? The examples i've seen show one form with a submit button at the bottom. I need to break this form into at least three different aspx or ascx pages. Thanks for the help. I did something similiar since I have like 7 sections to an application. The way I did it was by using the asp:panel control. When the user finished one section and clicks a button it inputs the data into the database and hides the 1st panel and shows the next one. HTH...

Include web form inside web form

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

Web resources about - Pasting from Word - character unrecognized - asp.net.web-forms

List of states with limited recognition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some contemporary geopolitical entities that wish to be recognised as de jure sovereign states have been hindered by a lack of diplomatic recognition ...

Dark Eyes: "I feel nothing for their game, where beauty goes unrecognized..."
... purposes They tell me revenge is sweet and from where they stand, I'm sure it is But I feel nothing for their game, where beauty goes unrecognized ...

BLDGBLOG: Unrecognized for what they are
architectural conjecture :: urban speculation :: landscape futures

Clinton Goes Unrecognized At Chipotle
The Clinton campaign stopped for lunch at a Chipotle in suburban Ohio yesterday and the press is making a big deal because nobody there recognized ...

American Dream alive, but unrecognized
Only 25 percent of adults reported in the survey that they have been able to "make a lot of money" in their life.

Hillary Clinton goes unrecognized at Chipotle
... the restaurant's staff didn't recognize her. Breaking News CNN Sign in MyCNN 2016 Washington Nation World Our Team Hillary Clinton goes unrecognized ...

The Killing Of Muslim Lawyers: An Unrecognized Problem
In several different Muslim countries, a common problem.

Two Unrecognized Hall Of Fame Shortstops
This article is dedicated to the memory of the late Clem Comly, who did more than anyone to put together the Retrosheet.org public database of ...

That Time Jennifer Aniston Went Unrecognized...at Target! "It Was Pretty Awesome!"
You'd think Jennifer Aniston would have to go to the most remote place on Earth to find people wh...

This Was the Last Time 'N Sync and the Spice Girls Went Completely Unrecognized
This Was the Last Time 'N Sync and the Spice Girls Went Completely Unrecognized