Page_Init, IsPostBack always false

It seems the page has not yet figured out its postback mode in the Page_Init event.  It is always false, even when it is true in the Page_Load event.

I need to know if the page is being posted back or not in the Page_Init event.  What is the most reliable way to determine this?  I am currently interpreting "Page.Request.Form.Count > 0" as "IsPostBack = true" and it is working.  Is that the best way?  I don't want to use a session value, and obviously viewstate is not loaded yet.

0
veloearl

I'm wondering if you are looking for simply

Page.IsPostBack

 You mention that at the bottom, so I'm not sure what you are looking for if not that.

Peter Kellner
http://73rdstreet.com and blogging at
http://PeterKellner.net
MVP, ASP.NET
0
pkellner
4/10/2007 12:41:53 AM

Hello,

I think you can try the following two method

1.

 protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        if (Page.IsPostBack)
            Response.Write("post back");
    }

2.

   protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        NameValueCollection value = this.DeterminePostBackMode();

        if (value != null)
        {
            Response.Write("post back");
        }
    }

hope it helps,

Jessica

Jessica Cao
Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
0
Jessica
4/10/2007 1:20:50 AM

What I am saying is Page.IsPostBack is always false during Page_Init.  It seems it is being set between the page's OnInit and OnLoad events.

I will try this.DeterminePostBackMode() and see how that works.

0
veloearl
4/10/2007 2:09:08 AM
veloearl:

What I am saying is Page.IsPostBack is always false during Page_Init.  It seems it is being set between the page's OnInit and OnLoad events.

But I test it, and it works. Which means when the page posts back, it is true.

Jessica

Jessica Cao
Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
0
Jessica
4/10/2007 2:23:55 AM

Is there any chance you do NOT have the Ajax extensions installed?  I wonder if the Ajax extensions change the way the IsPostBack property is handled.

0
veloearl
4/10/2007 2:29:24 AM

Is there any chance you do NOT have the Ajax extensions installed?  I wonder if installing the Ajax extensions changes the way the IsPostBack property is handled on a web server.

0
veloearl
4/10/2007 2:31:50 AM
veloearl:

Is there any chance you do NOT have the Ajax extensions installed?  I wonder if installing the Ajax extensions changes the way the IsPostBack property is handled on a web server.

Oh yeah, I don't have Ajax extensions installed and my page works.

Do you have any Ajax control on the web form when you test the IsPostBack during the Page_Init event?

Jessica

Jessica Cao
Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
0
Jessica
4/10/2007 2:44:29 AM
No Ajax on the page or in the project, but installing the extensions resulted in modified dlls and such...I would bet that is what is up.  I wish there was a way to confirm...
0
veloearl

Just now, I downloaded the ASP.NET Ajax extensions(ASP.NET AJAX V1.0) and installed, but I am sorry to tell you that the IsPostBack works. Maybe you should try to reinstall it again.

Jessica

Jessica Cao
Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
0
Jessica
4/10/2007 2:58:14 AM
Hmmm, OK.  Thanks for your help.
0
veloearl

Page_Init, IsPostBack is always false
Do you guys experience Page.IsPostBack is always false in Page_Init, but works correctly in Page_Load?  I posted such over in the ASP.NET forum, and they were all like, get serious.  I am wondering if installing the Ajax extensions modified the way that property is managed on a web server.  It is always false during OnInit.  I even built a sample page/project containing no Ajax, same behavior.  Again, it works beautifully in Page_Load. I try to simulate your problem using following code:   using System; using System.Web.UI; using System.Web.UI.WebContr...

Web farm load balacing resulting in IsPostBack always == false?
Ok, got two web servers that are basically load balanced between. Application works just fine in single server environment. Also, if I'm lucky enough to post back to the same server in load balanced environemt everything also works fine. The problem starts when I end up posting back between servers. I've confirmed I am running the same .NET version, same exact application version, same machineKey settings, etc. on both ServerA and ServerB.Basically if you've done any research on this stuff before you know that the first thing the page stuffs in it's ViewState is the result of Page::GetT...

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

.Net Web Form & Web Service Deployment

Web forms and mobile web forms

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

How to make Master page to be visible=false for particular web form in a web application
Hi all,         I am using master page in my application. i have selected masterpage while adding a new form. But now i don't want the master page in one of my web form.Can any  one help in solving out this. Radhi Remove the masterpage name in the @page attribute and add the other HTML tags that are needed in a webformVikram www.vikramlakhotia.comPlease mark the answer if it helped you Hi Radhika, Simply do this page.MasterPageFile=nothing  Do mark as answer if it helpsBest RegardsAli Sufyan ButtSoftware EngineerElectron...

.Net Web Forms
what is the best way to create a multi-page web insurance quote form (similar to Geico) that will insert information into a database? The examples i've seen show one form with a submit button at the bottom. I need to break this form into at least three different aspx or ascx pages. Thanks for the help. I did something similiar since I have like 7 sections to an application. The way I did it was by using the asp:panel control. When the user finished one section and clicks a button it inputs the data into the database and hides the 1st panel and shows the next one. HTH...

Web resources about - Page_Init, IsPostBack always false - asp.net.web-forms

C# dotnet SQL editor (codebehind side)
... this diy SQL... protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e){ // Load the connections only the first time the page is loaded if (!IsPostBack) ...

Silverlight, FireFox and 100%
In my last post I mentioned something nice about FireFox. In this post I’ll talk something not that nice about FireFox and the way we, more or ...

Visual Studio 11 Beta in Context
... : System.Web.UI.Page { private readonly DemoWhateverDataContext _db = new DemoWhateverDataContext(); public void Page_Load() { if (!IsPostBack) ...

Recent questions
Recent questions

Upgrading to JSF 2
... at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.DefaultRestoreViewSupport.isPostback(DefaultRestoreViewSupport.java:179) at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.Re ...

CodeSOD: Count On It
... right for Request.QueryString["number"]; , but not this special snowflake: protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { if (!IsPostBack) ...

Fully Editable Datagrid - Pale Musings
This is the text from an article I wrote back in April of 2003 and had published on the original DotNetJunkies site. After my recent change in ...

WebstersProdigy
Colored Hat. New post around the First of the Month

Check Uncheck all CheckBoxes in an ASP.NET GridView using jQuery
... partial class Default4 : System.Web.UI.Page{ List listEmp = new List (); protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { if (!Page.IsPostBack) ...

QueryHome
QueryHome: Community edited question and answer site for technical collaboration and technical networking.