Option to have no value selected in DropDownList control?

Whenever I DataBind a DropDownList, the list is already defaulted to a default value.  I would like to user to have the option of not choosing anything from the dropdown list.  The first line of the dropdown should be "-- Select --" or something similar.  How can I accomplish this?  When the user submits the form, no value should be passed for that input... I just can't get this to work at all.
0
thedust

after binding the records from your database into your dropdownlist, add this code:

DropDownList1.Items.Insert(0, "-- Select --")
DropDownList1.SelectedIndex = 0

mess with the best...die like the rest
0
pearljem

how can i Fill the controls on web page by selecting value from dropdownlist control.
  Hi,  Currentlly i am working on a web application where i require to fill the web form with the selected item in a text box. for example i have dropdown control named supplier_name, and i want to fill all the other controls values from database on the form when i select name from that supplier_name box,i.e , if i select name1, then related to that name, its code,address ,city should appear on related text boxes. I have done the same in windows application with c# , but the problem with web application(asp.net) is that, when i select Supplier _ it...

Getting the Selected Item of dropdownlist inside Web User Control on a Web Form
Ive got a dropdownlist control inside a web user control called Entity.ascx. This web user control is on a webform.aspx. In Entity.ascx class I created a SelectedEntity property that returns the selected item in the dropdownlist. Inside webform.aspx when btnGo is pushed I set a string and pass it in the url. I am trying to get the entity they selected via the property (SelectedEntity) inside Entity.ascx. As the SelectedEntity property tries to return the selected item in the dropdownlist I get this error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance...

when loading a previously created record on to form, some controls are missing values(controls are depended on values selected in other controls)
Hello - I have created a page for Editing records.  this page will open up a chosen record and allow user to edit the data.On the form, I have 3 drop down lists.   The second dropdown list should fill values depending on value chosen in first dropdown list.  The third dropdown list should show/fill values depending on value chosen in second dropdown list.So taking this into count, i have several records with various data.  When I open-up/load a record in Edit form, only the first dropdown list has a value selected that was the pre-existing va...

Calling custom web control/retrieve selected value of dropdownlist?
 I'm working on a a project which I'm converting from asp.net 1x to asp.net 2.0. I didn't write the codes originally.Request.Form("Filters1:SCAC")  the current syntax.Dunno if the syntax is different in .net 2.0 for calling the custom web control since this is returning nothing. Also tried request.params.get("Filters1:SCAC"), no luck either.Filters1 is a custom web control.SCAC is a dropdownlist. Basically, I want the retrieve the value that the user selected from the SCAC dropdownlist and bind that value to a grid view. Thanks.  Hello, ...

Clearing Web Controls Values from a Web Form
I have a web form and after a user submit it I want to clear the form so that they may submit another entry. I have seen examples in VB of how to loop thru a web form and clear the controls, but I need a C# solution. I have tried the following code, while it does not give me an error, it does not clear the controls on the form. Any suggestions? Thanks! foreach (Control parent in Page.Controls)         {             foreach (Control child in parent.Controls)           ...

Form: Focus on selected values in dropdownlists, Refresh after selection and hidding formfields based on selection.
Hello again,I have a form with several dropdown lists. Depending on the selected value in the dropdown lists other fields become available in that same form. It is working in classic ASP in combination of JavaScript. I want to migrate it to ASP.NET. I have posted a part of the form at the end of this post.My questions:1. I use <option <%If iFood="0" then%>selected<%End If%> value="0">No value selected</OPTION> to select the selected item when the form is reloaded after the selecting. I know that this also works in ASP.NET, but isn't there a typical ASP....

How Select one dropdownlist value using down arrows corresponding other dropdownlist value are select
I am using two dropdownlist box.One is used for country selection. other one is used for state selection.I am using dropdown selectedindexchanged event. when i click country dropdownlist corresponding state is selected in state dropdownlist box. How select the country in country dropdownlist using down arrow keys at the same time corresponding state is select in state dropdown list.R.Karthikeyan   kartmca: How select the country in country dropdownlist using down arrow keys at the same time corresponding state is select in state dropdown list.Generally, we don't implmenet...

How to use Select case statement to select web form controls
Hi; I don't know why I can't conceptionalize  this but I want to take these if statements and put them in a select case. I am testing for multiple selection from several DDLs on my web form.   If DropDownList1.SelectedIndex > -1 And DropDownList2.SelectedIndex > 0 Then If Me.CheckBox1.Checked Then ObjectDataSource1.FilterExpression = "assignee = {0} AND assignor = {1}" Else ObjectDataSource5.FilterExpression = "assignee = {0} AND assignor = {1}" End If End If If DropDownList1.SelectedIndex > -1 And DropDownList3.SelectedIndex >...

Retreiving a value from a web form within a web user control
Hi  I have a page (web form) that retreives some data from a database. To be more specific: at some point when user clicks a button (in the web form) there is some ID number retreived from a database in code behind. At the same time the Visible property of the nestet web user control is chamged to true. I want than forward the ID to the web user control so that a grid view can load data from a database for that ID. How can I access that data (the ID) within a web user control context nested in that page?  Kind regards   Check this ;ink  http://www.codeproject.com/K...

How to take selected value of dropdownlist in web method using cascading dropdownlist
Hi All,I am using C# asp.net 2.0 and ajax1.0.I am trying to fill dropdownlist using ajax cascading toolkit but I am not able to populate the dropdownlist.  My question is how do I take input value of parent dropdownlist in web service the fill the data that is in my senario I have subprod parent (fill on page load) and then Prod fill on subprod selection.  The web service method I used is  public CascadingDropDownNameValue[] GetProd(string knownCategoryValues, string category) { StringDictionary kv = CascadingDropDown.ParseKnownCategoryValuesString(known...

Select dropdownlist control value
Hi, I have created a dropdownlist dynamically and populated it with numbers from 1 to 10. I also have a submit button on my page which when clicked is supposed to get the number I have selected in my dropdownlist. But this does not happen. It keeps returning 1 even if I select 4. I'm guessing whenever the page is loaded the dropdownlist is being created again and hence it selects the first number which is 1. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem? How do I get the value of the number I have selected from a dropdownlist which is created dynamically? Thanks in advance for ...

Web resources about - Option to have no value selected in DropDownList control? - asp.net.web-forms

Tag Synonyms - Stack Overflow

Air Astana - Join Now

Blog - Avisra

Online Booking Tool Support