Limiting Text Size in a Web Form

Hello,

I want to display valiable length text strings in a limited space (known pixel width).

For example  "This is a very long string" would be limited to "This is a very..."

Are there any rendering helper functions to calculate the size of the text (considering font and style of course) in pixels,
or to limit the displayed text?

Many thanks

Ofer

0
oferbar

Hi There

If the text is within say a text box then you can set the size of the text box to say 15 characters - then what to do is check the length of the text and then wriet a function which takes say 12 characters and then appends ... to the end of it.

Something along those lines should work.

Cheers
Gregor

Gregor Suttie
MCSD, MCAD, MCSD.Net
0
gsuttie2002
11/5/2006 8:29:02 PM
Thank Gregor, but that's not what I meant.

Counting characters is easy but this is not actual width of the rendered text, given different fonts and styles are applied to the text.

There is actually a .NET 2.0 function called TextRenderer.MeasureText which I thought can be used.

However, it seems that gathering the current font, size, style, etc into that function would be a big task since it's  WinForm API.

Thx

Ofer

0
oferbar
11/5/2006 9:54:11 PM

Hi Ofer

Sorry my apologies wasnt too clear from your original post - Can you give me more info on what your doing - is it a winform or web app as Im'm curios to know why the font size should make a difference.

Cheers
Gregor

Gregor Suttie
MCSD, MCAD, MCSD.Net
0
gsuttie2002
11/5/2006 10:10:05 PM
Well, I think the name of this forum plus the title of this post pretty much implies what I am developing :)

The font and style matter since a text with bigger font will be wider thus less characters can be displayed in the space I reserved for the text.

As you can see, the bold text takes more pixels:

This is a long text
This is a long text

Thx

Ofer

0
oferbar
11/5/2006 10:20:16 PM

Thats probably gonna be a javascript job, if its possible at all. Keep in mind different browsers and setup will render the fonts differently, so the server cannot tell the size of the text... If its possible, its in javascript.

0
shados
11/6/2006 5:22:32 AM

Hi Ofer

What I was meaning was are you displaying the text within a lable or a textbox as that would make ir more helkpful for usd to give you advice with what your trying to do.

Cheers
Gregor

Gregor Suttie
MCSD, MCAD, MCSD.Net
0
gsuttie2002

Web forms and mobile web forms

Include web form inside web form

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

Hello, I have a principal form with a list of information. From this form, I go on an edit forms and I want to control what is done on this form. For this, I want to block the button Windows back on my edit form. Somebody can help me ? Thank you for your help.  Jy. set the Session Variable (with your ID or whatever ) in the Principal Form when user click on Edit then put the One Back Button on your edit form and Redirect the page by using the Session variable value.Please Mark as Answred If This Blog has Helped You.RegardsMitesh Darjihttp://www.indianic.comhttp://www.mitatdotnet....

Web resources about - Limiting Text Size in a Web Form - asp.net.web-forms

Limiting factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In biological or ecological terms, a limiting factor causes a population to decrease in size. A few limiting factors are food, shelter, water, ...

RWW News: Yoho Suggests Limiting Voting Rights To Property Owners - YouTube
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/candidate-congress-ted-yoho-suggested-limiting-right-vote-property-owners Right Wing Watch reports on the ...

High stakes for Australia in limiting China's South China Sea incursions
As it forces its way into disputed territories, a global response is needed to ensure China is made to follow a common set of rules and laws. ...

Marc Roland says new housing code is limiting homes' solar access
Tony Trobe goes one-on-one with Marc Roland.

NBN Co limiting broadband choices: iiNet
iiNet has accused NBN Co of overstepping its bounds and thwarting innovation.

George Pell was set on limiting compensation, royal commission hears
Cardinal George Pell has admitted he wanted to avoid big damages verdicts such as those made against the Catholic Church in America when he set ...

EU considers limiting carbon offsets from 2013
EU considers limiting carbon offsets from 2013

Limiting global warming means vast fuel reserves are 'unburnable'
A new study by British researchers has found that huge amounts of known fossil fuel reserves should stay in the ground, if the world is to avoid ...

COP21: Canada's new goal for limiting global warming 'perhaps a dream'
The Canadian government's goal for limiting climate change is ambitious, scientists say, and all governments will have to act now and garner ...

WHO warns Canada against 'false sense of security' limiting travellers from Ebola-affected countries ...
The World Health Organization has asked Canada to justify its decision to limit travel to this country from the West African countries combating ...