How to programatically access another web site's form and get the data?

Hello,

I need to write a script that will send a POST to a web site's form and then accept the CSV file that it will return.  I can go onto the web site and enter my username, password and a month from a drop down to get a CSV file of data but I would like to program a web form on my Admin site that will do this for me by pressing a button as I want to process the results and add to a database.

Any thoughts on how to start?

mulch

Well sounds like what you need to start is creating an object of this login screen, pressing the login button and then changing the drop down to the correct month.. WHICH IS NO SMALL TASK  and very easy to give up on.

Actually i have already given up on answering this Big Smile

To do this, create an iFrame of the URL you need to login to, and fill in the user\pass through javascript and submit the form. Because this is inside of an iFrame you can hide the frame all together with some simple styles. Then once the page is loaded.. Not sure how to do this, maybe a setTimeOut() to an X amount of seconds which is > to the amount of seconds it typically takes to load. Then simply change this 'dropdownbox' to the correct value and submit the form again.

Then it gets tricky cause as you state a csv file url will be prompted back. Here you need to capture this url and then send a server postback to intiate an event that builds a WebClient to recieve the the csv file as binary data. Once recieved you can save it to the hard disk and read it as a CSV file.

 Now that was exhausting.

To be honest this is going to be EXTREMELY difficult and the best person for the job is someone to download it everyday and import it to your website.

Thats my two cents.

Please mark post as answer
Obilit.com - Progressive Web Methodologies

My Blog
0
nvanhaaster
2/26/2009 11:45:18 PM

 You might be able to use WaTiN from http://watin.sourceforge.net/

TATWORTH

synchronizing chunk of data of one web form for another web form
I'm making a web application. In one web form; i'm taking inputs from user. Now; there is some info given by user in this page which is needed for web form which is going to be displayed next. i want to display that info automatically on that web form so that user doesn't have to re-input that info in this next web form. Info from first page would be inserted into database when user clicks on the submit button. then that next web form would be displayed. and the chunk of info from previous page should be displayed there!!! how can i do this?? cany anybody help?? nobody can help me!! I...

Access Web Control's property within the Web Form
Hello, I have a Web Control which has a TextBox and a Button. I want to put this Control on a WebForm, then put some text in a Control's TextBox, press on Control's Button and be able to access text box's value from within the Web Form. That's my Control: _________________________________________________ public class Colo : System.Web.UI.UserControl { protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox TextBox1; protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button Button1; public string Myval{ get{return (string)ViewState["myval"];} set{ViewState["myval"] = va...

how can you display another web site's web page in your web page without leaving your site
Can you display another web site's web page in your web page without leaving your site? I know you could use a frameset with .asp, but it looks like Visual Web Delevoper 2005 does not have any controls to setup a frameset. Any help, that would point me in the right direction would be great. Thanks Patrick     With screen scraping 4GuysFromRolla.Com: Screen Scrapes in ASP.NEThttp://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/070601-1.shtmlThanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU Thank you. This information was a great help!!! Thanks again Patrick...

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

Submitting data from a know web form to unknown web form
hi i m making a software in which i will submitt some data from a web page that will go to a web form of which contrlos are unknown to me only i know the name and how many controls in that form it means i can see the form only. how can i do this please help me soon with code plz its very argent.i m doin this wit the help of foxtrot.xray.WebRobot but its giving me error that this dll file is already exists in The file ('C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\_foxtrot.xray.WebRobot.dll' already exists).i don know what will do so please help me soon please thanks praveen We ca...

Is it secure to provide access to a web form to display data from a device attached to server's serial port
Hello there!  I am developing an asp.net web application that enables a user to view data from a device attached to the com/usb port at the server side. I know I can use System.IO to communicate with the device from the page. But what I am not sure is the security issues involved with this kind of implementation. I have read some posts from this site,  but im not able to come to a conclusion. Is it safe to allow a site users to view data from the device directly on web form? Should I consider some other option? Can anyone help me on this?  I would really appreciate any hel...

Web resources about - How to programatically access another web site's form and get the data? - asp.net.web-forms

Programatically assigning a Customer Group in Magento
... or thousands. The Customer Group might change because you want the specific customer to be in a different group, or you might want to programatically ...

Authentication - LinkedIn Developer Network
Authentication Wed, 01/12/2011 - 12:12 — LIDeveloperAdmin LinkedIn Authorization When your application acts on behalf of our members, it's important ...

User plod - Stack Overflow
Stack Exchange log in - careers - chat - meta - about - faq Stack Overflow Questions Tags Users Badges Unanswered Ask Question plod less info ...

Pipeline (Unix) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In Unix-like computer operating systems (and, to some extent, Microsoft Windows ), a pipeline is the original software pipeline : a set of processes ...

okTravel's Data Sources
Features information of where okTravel gets its data, and maybe even why certain data sources were chosen over others.

Text Readability Scores - Web Development in Brighton - Added Bytes
hi! neat script! the layout seems to be broken, though. I get loads of whitespace between the input box of the script and your last paragraph. ...

Startup News: Save Amit, and Hm, Not Too Many Launches Last Week
CONQUER THE WORLD. Startup Weekend just closed a partnership with the Kauffman Foundation ; now it’s announced a two-year agreement with Google ...

Blippy / The Blippy Blog
The Official Blippy.com Blog

On designing UIs for non-robots
In a typical, attentive human subject, the usual latency between a visual stimulus and a voluntary motor response is between 100 and 300 milliseconds. ...

DDS Hands On « Bulldozer00's Blog
Introduction In 2009, I downloaded RTI Inc.’s Data Distribution Service (DDS) communication middleware software developer kit along with a free ...