How to pass the client side values to server side?

 hello to All,

Actually i wanna implement a code like... a string in HTML textbox retrieve in server side control....

suppose i hv a HTML control <input type="text" id="txtHTML"/>, and dis control  txtHTML.text="abc".

now i want to retrieve dis client side string "abc" in d server side textbox named "txtASP"...which hs a property runat="server"

so please give me an idea how to pass values from client side to server side.... hope u understand a problem...

sam.

0
samVaidankar

You could do this

<input type="text" id="txtHTML" runat="server" />

Then in your server side code access the value like this

string value = txtHTML.Value;

But why not just use an <asp:TextBox />  control?

Matt
Chief Architect
Software Engineer
Smooth Fusion, Inc.
http://www.smoothfusion.com
0
dotnetbohn
2/23/2008 2:13:48 PM

Hi Sam,

If your Html input element as a diferent ID from the server control then no automatic recovery will be done.

In order to allow a automatic recovery of the client-side value you must ensure that the Server-Side control has the exact same ID, in your case it must be txtHTML and not txtASP.

Has the previous post noted, this scenary makes little sense since you could simple remove the Html input element and let the ASP:Textbox take care of that.

Here is a little sample:

Default.aspx

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>

<head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server"/>
    </form>

Default.aspx.cs

using System;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;

{
    {
        base.OnLoad(e);

        string recoveredText = TextBox1.Text
    }
}

Nuno Gomes [visit my blog]
Portugal - Europe's West Coast
[Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post(s) that helped you.]
0
nmgomes
2/24/2008 3:04:51 AM

Hi samVaidankar,

      To pass the value of client side, you can use javascript to pass that value to a <asp:HiddenField > first, then do a post back. At the server side you can retrive the value.

    Here is an example:

using System;
using System.Data;
using System.Configuration;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.Security;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

{
    {
        Response.Write("The input value is: " + HiddenField1.Value.ToString());
    }
}

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"  CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>

<head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
    <script type ="text/javascript" >
    function passValue()
    {
        document.getElementById ("HiddenField1").value=document.getElementById ("input1").value;
    }
    </script>

</head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <input type ="text" id="input1" />
        <asp:HiddenField ID ="HiddenField1" runat ="server" />
        <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat ="server" Text ="Button1" OnClientClick ="passValue()" />
    </form>

Regards,

Ivan.

0
Ivan

How to pass values from client side to server side
Hi, Is there a way to transfer variable from a client loop to a server loop. For example: var clitest = 'test'; Now I would like to get test variable from javascript into a server string variable <% sertest = ?? %> I understand that this can be done by storing a variable into a hidden control for example and than access it using server side, but when I have to transfer an array for example it get's a little more complicated. I was wondering is there more efficient approach? You can't transfer arrays, only strings. To workaround this problem pass delimited stri...

Problem passing value client-side to server-side
I have a page that calls a pop-up while passing an encrypted value via a query string. The value is encrypted on the parent client-side in javascript so it needs to be decrypted client-side as well. This decryption occurs on closing the child (popup) and I am at a loss of when and how I should get this value to the server-side. On the popup you just want to process server side code? Anytime you can access for example the raw url:string raw = Page.Request.RawUrl;If you need to access any values on the client side you can access the url using javascript. Another idea is to, on the code beh...

how to pass values from client side to server side #2
Hi Guys....               This is Aani....I'm using ASP.NET in C# language.i have created one webpage for get input from user(from java script inputbox).i want that entered data in server side operations.how can i pass that value from client side server side.i need proper code in C# language.reply me soon... Thanks is Advanced... Regards....Aani plz use hidden field.ur assing values to text boxes through java script. before post back call a java scipt function to assign value to hodden fieed. even u can add these ...

passing client side variable value to server side
 i have a grid and  by click on the rows, the onrowclick event is fired on client side. I want to pass the row index to the server side. As there are not sessions variables in javascript so i am stuck to pass the row to the server side.. I have made a texbox and set its valueto the index in the onrowclick event but when refresh calls, the text box became empty as the value set is on client side, i want page to persistthe value,  How can i do that? Tel me some way passing the row index to the server side?? Hi, You can call GridView_SelectedIndexChanging event on row click ev...

Passing a value from server side to client side without postback
My problem exactly is that on my aspx.vb code-behind, I can update the field using HiddenField ID = "hidSessionTimeout" Code-Behind: on Page_LoadhidSessionTimeout.Value = HttpContext.Current.Session.Timeout on ChangeTimeOutValue()hidSessionTimeout.Value = 5  Client-Side: var x= document.getElementById("hidSessionTimeout"); It seems that the javascript cannot get the latest updated value... Any ideas?    Any Workaround solution? did u keep the page load code in if(!IsPostBack)pavankumar geljian_a:  Client-Side:  var...

How to pass param values from server side to client side scripts
Hi, I have a page containing a datagrid with a list of geographic positions of interesting places. Users can filter this grid. Clicking an item the system displays the place on a map using MS Virtual Earth map component that exposes a client side javascript api. My problem is that the filtering is done on server side, but the map runs on client side. So during page load, I need to create long strings containing complex javascript codes on the server side, and add it as an event handler attribute to my components. This causes a lot of problems, for exemple...

Client side code to pass values to server side variable?
Hi there, I have ListBox_SelectedTextChanged() method that creates another list box in the runtime as follows: // Get Action Level List lbxActionLevel = new ListBox();lbxActionLevel.ID = "ddlA" + i.ToString(); lbxActionLevel.Width = 100; lbxActionLevel.Rows = 2;SqlDataReader dr = new BusinessLogicLayer().bllGetActionLevels(); lbxActionLevel.Items.Clear();while (dr.Read()) {ListItem lAction = new ListItem(); lAction.Text = dr.GetString(1).Trim();lAction.Value = Convert.ToString(dr.GetInt32(0)); lbxActionLevel.Items.Add(lAction); lbxActionLevel.SelectedIndex = 0; } I ...

server side control passing value of self in client side function
I have a server side dropdownlist control.It contains values as:"#00FFFF""#FF00FF""#FFFF00"When the selectedindex is changed by the client I want to assign the value of the dropdownlist to a <div id="example"></div> evelement.pseudo:document.getElementbyId('example').bgcolor=dropdownlist.valueHow can I do this? I think I somehow need to attach a function to my dropdownlist which passes its own value as a parameter to a function...any suggestions?Thanks!please mark answers as 'Answered' and post back solutions when you figure stuff out that isnt in the post already. You ...

How do I pass client side values to server side ones & vice versa
Hi, If I have some jscript that creates a value based on a users input, how can I pass that to a server variable? Many thanks@nt Hi! You can set that value to a hiddenfield (runat = server) on the client and then read it from server side like any other control. If this is not clear, please paste your code so I may help you better.Regards,ClaudioSimplicity: "the art of maximizing the amount of work not done." Thanks for your time crfenix,  I need to do something like below: Code behind:protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) {strin...

How can I set client side values as server side values?
Hi, Can anyone tell me how I can get client side values such as document.referrer, navigator.appName etc... into server side scripts? There are some client side values I'd like to set as session vars and insert into the db? How do I go about this? Thanks for any pointers Davlon PS (I'm using powersite 7.1.0.300) Pass them as page parameters, e.g., http://myserver/myurl?document.referrer=whatever&navigator.appName=yadayada Then, in your server-side script, just loop through the document.value array and get these values. -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kie...

Storing the checked Htmlimputcheckbox values on client side and passing to server side on submit button clicked
Hi All  I've got these bunch of HtmlInputcheckboxes that i'm creating dynamically using div.innerhtml on server side and putting it in a <TD> block, calculate averages etc. Things are working fine until this point. Now i need to get all the checked checkboxes and their values(which are dates in my case) and pass these values back to server side for processing on the submit button click. But i'm using a pagefooter submit button to fire my submit button so i cannot directly pass these values to my submit button onclick method. I tried to use the findcontrol method ...

Client-side values to server-side ?
Hi! My previous query is attached below: I have implemented the below mentioned implementation . 'listbox1' on 'webform1' shows all the values from 'webform2'. I have implemented it using javascript. I would like to know that to implement validation on 'webform1', I would require the values of 'listbox1' ,which are on the client-side , to move to the server-side . I think sending a querystring will be fine but how to implement it using javascript and code-behind(C#)? Your suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks and regards, ap.       My previous query: " I am stuck wi...

Client Side values to Server Side
What is the best way to transfer Client Side values to the Server side? For example I have a variable "var1" in javascript. var1 = "sample"; How can I acquire this value in the server side?  What is the best approach for this?  Barry to send the value to the server during a postback, you need to place the value in an input control.  You could consider using a hidden textbox for that purpose.Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converter.telerik.com/ In the JavaScrip...

Web resources about - How to pass the client side values to server side? - asp.net.web-forms

MUD client - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A MUD client is a computer application used to connect to a MUD , a type of multiplayer online game . Generally, a MUD client is a very basic ...

3Q Digital Offers Peek At 3Q Facebook Ad Performance By Its Largest Clients
With Facebook set to report its third-quarter earnings Wednesday , digital marketing agency 3Q Digital offered some insight on how the social ...

Gallop Labs hires former Facebook Client Partner as Director of Sales
Gallop Labs , a social marketing and analytics firm, announced that it has hired former Facebook Client Partner Andrew Peebles as the company’s ...

Centrelink clients endure a nightmare before Christmas
Department says online welfare glitches are over, but clients still nervous.

Dropbox dumps popular email client Mailbox and photo service Carousel
Facing growing competitive pressures, Dropbox has dumped two of its flagship products, including smart email pioneer Mailbox.

Acquire Learning casts 'a very dark shadow' over its clients
The desperate and jobless are sold hope, but all they are buying is debt "You can hear it in how these clients talk," says a former call-centre ...

In Search Of Client Portals: Rocket Matter
Technology columnist Sean Doherty continues his search for client portals in practice management software-as-a-service offerings, this time checking ...

Huge Creates New Global CMO, Client Services Roles
... Managing Directors Patricia Korth-McDonnell and Eric Moore into the newly created global roles of chief marketing officer and president-client ...

Dropbox is shutting down Mailbox, the popular email client
Dropbox acquired Mailbox, the extremely popular email client, way back in 2013, and unfortunately it's now time to say goodbye. That's right, ...

Chatting with coworkers, clients, friends and others is easy as Pie
... uses your companys domain). This also means that you can now set up teams to chat with people outside your company, including partners, clients, ...