How to call server side(C#) function from Client side(Javascript) function?

Hi i have used below functions,

function

HandleOnClose() {// this function will be called after clicking browsers close button in Internet explorer

if (event.clientY < 0) {

event.returnValue = 'Are you sure you want to leave the page?';

}

// if he clicks ok then i need to call one server side function in this instance.. else not.

}

 How to achieve this?

vishwanatha

MS AJAX Extensions would be the option of choice here. Combined with webservices you can call on serverside functions from your clientside code.
This article will get you headstarted http://ajax.asp.net/docs/tutorials/ConsumingWebServicesWithAJAXTutorial.aspx

"What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?"
0
ViktorBergmanSwe
2/20/2007 7:29:10 AM

To execute Server Side code you must have a postback, but that can be conditional.

Eg.

<head runat="server">

    <title>Untitled Pge</title>

    function doIt(){

     var condition = false; // would really be a condition (true causes postback)

     return condition;

    }

    </script>

</head>

    <form id="form1" runat="server">

        <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Button" OnClientClick="javascript:return doIt();"/>

    </form>

Server side test

 Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Response.Write("Server side postback/ button click handler")
    End Sub

Regards,

Martin.

Rgds,
Martin.

For the benefit of all users please mark any post answers as appropriate.
0
mokeefe
2/20/2007 7:36:51 AM

That will not solve that fact that he wants to trigger serverside code from a clientside event.
Webmethods/Pagemethods is the way to go here.

"What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?"
0
ViktorBergmanSwe
2/20/2007 8:44:56 AM

What is most appropriate will depend on what his real objectives are.

If it is simply to audit the close of the window a Form submit may be ample and is certainly simpler and involves miniscule (lower) overhead and end user skills.

rgds,

Martin.

Rgds,
Martin.

For the benefit of all users please mark any post answers as appropriate.
0
mokeefe
2/20/2007 8:49:54 AM

That is true. Now he has two alternatives, thats always something right? ;-).

Have nice day :-)

"What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?"
0
ViktorBergmanSwe
2/20/2007 9:10:55 AM

HI,

 second reply solution doesnt match my requirement.

vishwanatha

   Is there any way to call server side function from client side?

Thanks

Vishwanath

0
vishwanatha
2/20/2007 11:34:23 AM
vishwanatha:

Hi,

   Is there any way to call server side function from client side?

Thanks

Vishwanath

Dude...

http://ajax.asp.net/docs/tutorials/ConsumingWebServicesWithAJAXTutorial.aspx.

"What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?"
0
ViktorBergmanSwe
2/20/2007 6:57:45 PM
vishwanatha:

Hi,

   Is there any way to call server side function from client side?

Thanks

Vishwanath

Seriously dude...

http://ajax.asp.net/docs/tutorials/ConsumingWebServicesWithAJAXTutorial.aspx.

"What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?"
0
ViktorBergmanSwe
2/20/2007 6:58:30 PM
ViktorBergmanSwe:

That is true. Now he has two alternatives, thats always something right?

Absolutely.

Rgds,
Martin.

For the benefit of all users please mark any post answers as appropriate.
0
mokeefe

  Can i not code it without web service?

vishwanatha
2/22/2007 11:31:50 AM

To call serverside code from clientside events you will need to use AJAX, and the easiest way for that is to use the Microsoft AJAX Extensions.
These are the options you have:

1. Create a webservice in a .asmx file, register it with your page scriptmanager.
2. Create some serverside code and place it in your Page, mark it as WebMethods and use it the same way you utilize webservices. Check out http://ajax.asp.net/docs/ViewSample.aspx?sref=Sys.Net.PageMethod%23PageMethod.aspx.

Sure, it will take you some time to learn this stuff... but so does all learning. But creating your own server/clientside hack will just result in even MORE time and most likely a bad design. Instead, read a bit about AJAX and let it leverage your implementation.

"What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?"
0
ViktorBergmanSwe
2/22/2007 12:01:23 PM

hi,

maybe you wanna try to send the page with server side code through xmlHttp object.
Just remember this run asynchronously.
hopefully that suits you,

 Happy programming,

 recruit.

0
recruit
To summarize, options above are all implemented with creating a additional request to the web server and that's the only way to invoke methods on the server.
No matter which way you take, the basic idea is the same.
If none of them works, I'd like to hear what is your requirement specifically.
0
Raymond

Can you call a c# on the server side from javascript functions on client side
Hello guys This is something intresting I have come across during development. I have a javascript written in a .JS file , to my knowledge the .js files are executed on the server side. But security concerns with java script that these .js files can be access by connecting to port 80 of the server . So an ultimate alternative reminas to call c# code from a java script function. Can anyone Help me on this matter Regards Nihar Hi Nihar, Usually .js files executed on client side. Please explain your configuration.Leon LangleybenMCSD, ASP.NET MVPBlog...

how to call server side function from client side javascript?
Hi all, I have a image button in the update panel. I would like to call a method from server side (not from webservice) to get the variable when Onclick on the image button is invoked. Is there any way that I can able to access this function from the client script? In using the UpdatePanel, in essence, you're already doing this because there will not be a full postback.  You can make an asynchronous call to your Click method of your ImageButton.  So, what do you want to do with this "variable"?Christopher Reed"The oxen are slow, but the earth is patient."...

Call server side function from client side javascript
I have a javascript where I either need to call an onclick even of a server link button or I need to be able to call a server side function.   The only thing is I cant use AJAX.  Is there any way I can do this or am I spinning my wheels. Thanks!-------------Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue. I have a similar problem.  In my case, I would like to set a server-side session object from JavaScript.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.  Dan Sure, y...

How to call server side function from client side JavaScript?
I want to call a server-side function, like a button's click event or just another private or public function , from a client-side JavaScript function. How do I do that? thanX AnzIf this post was useful to you, please mark it as answer.ClientSideAsp.Net | Blog Maybe alittle more that you need, but....... 1) Put a button on the page. Lets say its id is Button1. Make sure that its has causesValidation=false 2) Write the code for the button. 3) Write the following in the PAge_Load event Button1.Attributes.Add("onClick", "myJSFunction(); return false") 4) Copy this javascript...

How to call server side function on client side
Hi,   How to call server side function on client side? here i want to call change() function on textbox onchange event.   <script language="javascript">    function serverfunction()    {    }    </script><input id="Text1" onchange="javascript:serverfunction();"  type="text" /> code behind:  public void change()    {        Response.Write("hello");    } <script type=&quo...

call a server side function from javascript function
hello i have apage that is contained in MasterPage (contents) i have a HyperLink and i want to call a serverside function is it possible? i am writing C# nirnironIf i helped you please mark as answered.. in your page_load event, you can reference controls on the masterpage by MasterPage.FindControl("....")  Peter Kellnerhttp://73rdstreet.com and blogging athttp://PeterKellner.netMVP, ASP.NET  Use the "LinkButton" control...  Looks the same as a hyperlink, acts the same, and you can catch events from it. no... ok this is the scenario... i have ...

how to call server side function in javascript function
right now I have a question. I have a javascript function which created a textfield. what I want to do is when the user type in the value into the textfield, it will call the function in the server side and search the data in the database. I wonder is it possible to do that? And how to do it, can anyone some me some example..thx    look into ajax autocomplete Liming XuJumptree ASP.NET 2.0 Project Management - With Source Code, Free to Non Profit Org and Effectively Manage Projects/Tasks/Milestones Superwong-You definitely want to use Ajax (as was suggested). Since you're u...

How to call a javascript function from a server-side function
Hi. I'd like to know if it's possible to call a javascript function from within a server-side function. I know it's possible to associate a javascript function with a control event but I'd like to call it from within an asp.net function.  Thanks, Samir Zattar Hey, There are several ways to do it, all through the Page.ClientScript property.  You can write a script through RegisterClientScriptBlock or RegisterStartupScript, or if you have a script file you can write a reference to that file.Brian"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and ...

Calling a client side function from the server side

Is it possible to call client side function from server side code without initial client request?
Atlas is great. I'm using timer to periodically check database changes on server to populate client side controls with new data. Is it possible to do it without a lot of client requests to server which takes a huge useless network traffic? Server should call client side function on all connected clients when, for example, 'database updated' event occurs on server. Thanks. Hi~ Just for your interest, I think you could have a look at Comet, many web IM like Gmail's embeded Gtalk and meebo.com are built on this architecture你好! Just FYI o_O...

How to Call server side and client side function on same LinkButton
hello,         i have one linkbutton when i click on linkbutton i insert record in DB using onclick=Linkbutton_click. if successfully insert then returnvalue is 1. after return 1 i want to call javascript function. how i can do this? Reply ASAP. Is It Possible? e.g. <asp:LinkButton ID="Operation_Link" runat="server" OnClick="Operation_Link_Click"></asp:LinkButton>protected void Operation_Link_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) {if (Operation_Link.Text == "SUBMIT") {ReturnValue = company.InsertCompany...

Call client side function from server side code
My problem is that in some point of the VB.Net code I need to call a function defined in vbScript, for example: Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click   'There's some code here....   ' ...   If (SomeCondition) Then   'HERE'S WHERE I NEED TO CALL THE JAVASCRIPT FUNCTION... SO HOW CAN I DO THAT?   Else     '...   End If   ' ... End Sub The asp.net code runs to generate the html and when it is done the html is rendered in your browser. So you can't access cli...

Calling a server-side procedure from a client-side function
I have a server side function that executes a database stored procedure, and I need to be able to call it from a javascript function.  Is this possible (without using an iFrame)?  Post back the page or use Ajax. Eric Pascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn...

calling server side function from client side script
i have a web form that includes a function named "koko()" in its server side class i want to write a script code in in its HTML script that will be run at the client side, and this client side script will call the function "koko()" from the server side. in brief : i want to call a server side function from a client side script... can you help me in this You can't call server-side code directly from client-side code. You can, however, trigger a postback that your server-side code watches for and triggers the server-side code appropriately. You can do some ...

Web resources about - How to call server side(C#) function from Client side(Javascript) function? - asp.net.web-forms

JavaScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
programming styles. JavaScript was formalized in the ECMAScript language standard and is primarily used in the form of client-side JavaScript ...

... editor - report abuse/spam - help the entire directory only in Tools/Obfuscators Description Top : Computers : Programming : Languages : JavaScript ...

Facebook Open-Sources JavaScript Static-Type Checker Flow
The latest software to be open-sourced by Facebook is Flow , a static-type checker for JavaScript . (more…) New Career Opportunities Daily: ...

JavaScript
The Facebook SDK for JavaScript provides a rich set of client-side functionality for adding Social Plugins, making API calls and implementing ...

Facebook App Devs Get Javascript
It has been an oft-lamented fact of the Facebook Platform thus far in its life that, in order to use all but the most simple of Javascript functionality–the ...