How to assign string value to dropdownlist when selected value field is an int(id of item)

 Hi
i have a problem.In one of my application i am maintaining all control
values on a page in session using AJAX.i have done it.My page contain two dropdownlist.Data value field of items in dropdownlist is nothing but the id
of items,i am retriving an selected item name from database using its id from
database.once i got name the problem is that how can i give selected item of ddlist
is the item name. i am tried
ddlist.SelectedValue=session("name")\\it gives null
ddlist.SelectedItem.Text=session("name")\\\it gives object reference not set to instance of object error.

How can i do this.Please guide me.

rahuldotnet

You're close.   You should just need to us the "SelectedItem" property.

ddlist.SelectedItem = "100";

 As long as the value you're assigning is a string (and exists in the list) you should be good.  You shouldn't have to go through the Session.  Just assignto the control directly.

0
Bravo9
7/7/2007 4:04:52 PM

Try
	' make sure you have the value in session
	Dim _selectValue As String = Session("name").ToString()
	' try to set the selected item of dropdownlist as _selectValue
                ddlist.Items.FindByValue(_selectValue).Selected = True
	' alternatively if you know the text value, you can use
	' ddlist.Items.FindByText(_selectText).Selected = true;
Catch
	' if the value is not found, then set the default value as
	' selected
	ddlist.Items.FindByValue(defaultValue).Selected = True
End Try
Thanks

Mark post(s) as "Answer" that helped you

Electronic Screw
Website||Blog||Dub@i.net
0
e_screw

Selecting value in one field then causes value in another field to be selected.
I have a web form which contains a date field, the date is populated using a DatePicker which is Javascript based. The form also has a drop down box containing 3 values. What I want to do is when a date has been selected that this will cause the dropdown list value to change to dated which is one of its 3 values. i.e. when the date field is not blank then the value will be selected in the dropdown. What I also want to happen is when the date has been selected and the dropdown value is dated then the date field and the dropdown field will be set to read only.Anyone any ideas how to this usin...

How Select one dropdownlist value using down arrows corresponding other dropdownlist value are select
I am using two dropdownlist box.One is used for country selection. other one is used for state selection.I am using dropdown selectedindexchanged event. when i click country dropdownlist corresponding state is selected in state dropdownlist box. How select the country in country dropdownlist using down arrow keys at the same time corresponding state is select in state dropdown list.R.Karthikeyan   kartmca: How select the country in country dropdownlist using down arrow keys at the same time corresponding state is select in state dropdown list.Generally, we don't implmenet...

DropDownList selected value determines value of second DropDownList
I have a quick question that I'm sure has been addressed before, but I can't seem to find a solution. I have two drop down list fields: startTime and endTime coded as such: <asp:DropDownList id="startTime" runat="server"> <asp:ListItem Value="00:00">12:00 A.M.</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem Value="00:30">12:30 A.M.</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem Value="01:00">1:00 A.M.</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem Value="...

dropdownlist's selected index value is not printing the selected value
Here iS my code .Aspx Page <asp:DropDownList ID="ddlkeyword" runat="server" Width="204px" DataTextField="Form" DataValueField="Form" OnSelectedIndexChanged="ddlkeyword_SelectedIndexChanged" >   </asp:DropDownList> <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Submit" Width="110px" OnClick="Button1_Click" /> my aspx.cs protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { fillddlkeyword(); }protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e) { ...

Form: Focus on selected values in dropdownlists, Refresh after selection and hidding formfields based on selection.
Hello again,I have a form with several dropdown lists. Depending on the selected value in the dropdown lists other fields become available in that same form. It is working in classic ASP in combination of JavaScript. I want to migrate it to ASP.NET. I have posted a part of the form at the end of this post.My questions:1. I use <option <%If iFood="0" then%>selected<%End If%> value="0">No value selected</OPTION> to select the selected item when the form is reloaded after the selecting. I know that this also works in ASP.NET, but isn't there a typical ASP....

Handling DBNull Values in DropDownList Selected Value
I have a dropdown list inside a formview that is used to update a business opportunities table. Each opportunity may or may not have a salesperson assigned. On the update page I want to set the current value in the database as the selected value in the dropdown list. But if there is no salesperson assigned i need to handle the dbnull value and not try to set the selected value. Can someone give me some pointers? Should i handle this in the Formview_databinding event or in the Datasource for the opportunity Databinding event? How do i get at the cell of the datasource that i need to test for ...

DropDownList value selected base on database value?
Hi, is there anyway how I can allow my dropdownlist (on pageload event) to select the value base on the value found in the database, in addition I also want the dropdownlist to contain other values too however the selectedValue must be the one found in the database. Sorry if it sounds confusing. I'm using VB.NET 2003 with ASP.NET Thanks. Hi,Whatever you want to get selected for your dropdown use following code.if(dropdownid.items.findbyvalue("value") != null){    dropdownid.items.selecteditem = false;    dropdownid.items.findbyvalue("value").selected = t...

Setting a label value to a dropdownlist selected value
I am trying to set the value of a label to the selected value from a hidden dropdown list. This code is not working and the label value remians at its default. Any ideas? Thanks very much. Protected Sub DetailsView1_DataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Dim mylabel As Label Dim myddl As DropDownList If (DetailsView1.CurrentMode = DetailsViewMode.ReadOnly) Then mylabel = DetailsView1.FindControl("Label1") myddl = DetailsView1.FindControl("DropDownListViewOffice") mylabel.Text = myddl.SelectedValue.ToString End If I have now put this code in the Page_Load su...

How to take selected value of dropdownlist in web method using cascading dropdownlist
Hi All,I am using C# asp.net 2.0 and ajax1.0.I am trying to fill dropdownlist using ajax cascading toolkit but I am not able to populate the dropdownlist.  My question is how do I take input value of parent dropdownlist in web service the fill the data that is in my senario I have subprod parent (fill on page load) and then Prod fill on subprod selection.  The web service method I used is  public CascadingDropDownNameValue[] GetProd(string knownCategoryValues, string category) { StringDictionary kv = CascadingDropDown.ParseKnownCategoryValuesString(known...

Dropdownlist assign selected value
I have a dropdownlist which I populate from a db table and its value is in one column and the display text is in another.  When I run my report I do a join to get the text to display on the page based on the value column.  Here is my query:  SELECT fcomp_assign, (SELECT fcode_cmmt FROM fcode_mstr WHERE fcode_value = fcomp_assign AND fcode_fldname = 'fcomp_assign') AS AssignedTo FROM fcomp_mstr WHERE fcomp_comp_id = 8  This returns what I expect: 6 and Customer Service Problem is I want to populate the list with this query:SELECT fcode_cmmt, fcode...

Getting the Selected Item of dropdownlist inside Web User Control on a Web Form
Ive got a dropdownlist control inside a web user control called Entity.ascx. This web user control is on a webform.aspx. In Entity.ascx class I created a SelectedEntity property that returns the selected item in the dropdownlist. Inside webform.aspx when btnGo is pushed I set a string and pass it in the url. I am trying to get the entity they selected via the property (SelectedEntity) inside Entity.ascx. As the SelectedEntity property tries to return the selected item in the dropdownlist I get this error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance...

Based on selected value from HTML.Dropdownlist, the values to be fetched
Hi,  I'm using Html.DropDownList.  When selection within this box changes, I need to retrieve the values from table based on the selected id(datavaluefield) of dropdownlist. Here my code ViewPost.cs viewpage <%=Html.DropDownList("CategoryID",ViewData["CategoryID"])%>  ---- based on selected value from the user the below table should fetch the value the db <table>        <tr>                   ...

Web resources about - How to assign string value to dropdownlist when selected value field is an int(id of item) - asp.net.web-forms

Tag Synonyms - Stack Overflow

Air Astana - Join Now

Blog - Avisra

Online Booking Tool Support