How to access a child control in a templated control?

I am not sure how to access a child control that I addes to a templated control.

For example:

I drag a Login Control (ID: "Login1") into page in VisualStudio web developer, I can click on it and from the upper right of that control now in my desinger I can choose "convert to template".

Now I can drop in my own control to be added to the Login Control.  Let say I drag over a DropDownList control (ID: "DropDownList1") and place it at the bottom within the Login Control.

At run time I might expect to access the my DropDownList control with something like:

{

   // Trying to access a child control in a templated control.  This does not work.

    this.Login1.DropDownList1.SelectedIndex = 1;

}

This does not work.  I assume it is because a child control dropped into a template in the visual studio page designer doesn't mean it is automatically exposed as property.

What is the proper way to access that child control at run time for this example?

Thanks for any help!

0
zephyros

Try this instead:

    {
        DropDownList dl = Login1.FindControl("DropDownList1") as DropDownList;
        dl.SelectedIndex = 1;
    }

0
jcasp

Accessing Child Controls of a Template Server Control
I've created a templated control that has a property called ContentTemplate which is of type ITemplate.  The control works great with the exception of I now have to interact with the child controls via the FindControl method. Markup: <test:MyControl ID="testControl" runat="server"> <ContentTemplate> <asp:Label ID="testLabel" runat="server" /> </ContentTemplate> </test:MyControl>    In order to interact with the child label, testLabel, I now need to do something like this:Dim lbl As La...

Passing values from a parent web control to child web control
I have a parent control which called CONTROL1 and a child control witch called CONTROL2 I would link to pass a value from the parent control to the child control. In the parent control(CONTROL1) I have the following Event Handler . private void btn_Handler(object sender, EventArgs e) { …      if (Page.IsPostBack) {              // Send the officer names to the child controls.             if(m_nameList.SelectedItem.Text != "")     ...

Web control in web control

Serverside Template Control
I've created a template control what I am running into difficults is during the Page_Load event on my web page I cannot access the child controls in the two possible templates. What I would like to be able to do is set the value or make some changes to the control at runtime but I have not been successful in gaining code access to the control, for example the TEXTBOX1 control in the EditTemplate template.     Does anyone know a good way to preform this task, let alone if I am even using the correct event Example of HTML Render  <aspSample:TextLabe...

accessing a control on a different web controls
I have 2 web controls on one aspx page.  I want to set the label1.text property on control1 from a button click event on control2.  Is there any to do that?     Thanks Hi,the strategy is to let the Page take care of this flow. To do this, first expose the Label's text with a property declared in Control1, for example<% Control Language="C#" %><script runat="server">public string Text {    get { return myLabel.Text; }    set { myLabel.Text = value; }}</script><asp:Label id="myLabel" runat="server"></asp:Label>...

Accessing form controls from a user control
What's up all,I have a user information form in a user control(standard input fields). When I used use VS 2003 I could set the declared Web Controls to "public" so I could access them from the page referencing the user control..But with VS 2005 I can't seem to find a way to access the declarations of the individual Web Controls to make them public.Would it be a better idea to make a property for each control, within the user control and make those public to retrieve the data? Thanks!Gary It's a good OOP practice to create a public property within the UserControl to expose access...

Accessing Child Controls in Accordian Control
 I have an html button inside an accordion control. Does anyone know how I can access it so I can set the visible property to false? Dim b as Button = CType(yourAccordian.FindControl("yourButton"),Button)b.Visible = false  Thanks for the quick reply! Would it be at all possible if you could convert that to C#?  Thanks  Bookmark this one: http://labs.developerfusion.co.uk/convert/vb-to-csharp.aspx {     Button b = (Button)yourAccordian.FindControl("yourButton");     b.Visible = false; }  Seems I might ne...

Web resources about - How to access a child control in a templated control? - asp.net.web-forms

Facebook will soon start showing templated News Feeds to users without the app
Earlier this week, we wrote that our #1 request for improving News Feed functionality was the need to publish application stories to friends ...

François Beaufort - Google+ - Rich templated notifications are now available through the…
Rich templated notifications are now available through the new Notification Center in the last Windows chromium build available at…

“Scroll Kit” Tool For De-Templated Design Goes Live, Adds New Features
Synchronized perfectly with the start of the annual SXSW conference in Austin, Cody Bown and Kate Ray have announced improvements to their design ...

RNA-Catalyzed RNA Polymerization: Accurate and General RNA-Templated Primer Extension
The RNA world hypothesis regarding the early evolution of life relies on the premise that some RNA sequences can catalyze RNA replication. In ...

Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/Newsroom/Suggestions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page is for suggesting news to be covered in the next Signpost . For general discussion, comments or questions regarding The Signpost , ...

Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
WP:RFCU redirects here. You may be looking for Wikipedia:Requests for comment/User conduct ( WP:RFC/U ), CheckUser policy ( Wikipedia:CheckUser ...

Recent changes - Wikitravel
Help Wikitravel grow by contributing to an article. Learn how . Recent changes From Wikitravel Jump to: navigation , search Track the most recent ...

Symbiosis Episode 46 – Blue Daisy
Blue Daisy exclusive mix & interview for Symbiosis. Blue Daisy aka Kwesi Darko hails from London and is signed to Black Acre. Not your typical ...

Government House NT - Patronages footer menu
The Office of the Administrator uses a selection of templated forms to assist organisations that are hosting the Administrator of the Northern ...

Why Zelda Still Rules the Action RPG
The Legend of Zelda games may not be perfect, but they still define the genre.