Help getting started with a dynamic web form

I'm new to .NET so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I have a form that needs to be dynamically created based on the contents of a XML file. The XML contains data for each 'row' to be created and what type of fields (textbox, custom select box, etc) should be displayed. The number of each type of field will vary from time to time.
Using ASP I would have either used XSL to create a form or DOM to walk through the contents of the XML and display/name the proper fields.
Using .NET I'm not sure what the proper method is to accomplish my goal. I can use XML classes to walk through my XML. Do I create dynamic controls and add them to a table (or other) control to display properly on the page? Is there any way to transform the XML using XSLT and process the result as a .NET web form?
I don't want to give up and code the page using ASP like emebedded code, I feel like I'm close but I'm missing some bit of knowledge.
Any help getting me started would be appreciated!
-Bill
0
billo355

If you want to display your xml through your xsl, in the webform, just put the following code in your aspx page :-

<asp:Xml id="Xml1" runat="server" DocumentSource="yourxmlfile.xml" TransformSource="yourxslfile.xsl"></asp:Xml>

I really dont know what you mean by to create a webform using xml.
Can you elaborate.
Thanks.

regards,
Harish

http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh
0
ranganh
7/9/2004 4:06:25 PM
Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology.  I'll try again.

The XML contains elements that I would use to generate form fields:
<item name="field1" type="text"></item>
<item name="field2" type="textbox"></item>
<item name="field3" type="text" value="testing"></item>
I want to create a form based on these values each time the page is loaded.
I either need to use DOM to parse out the information and create the form (dynamically?) or I could use XSLT to create the form but I don't believe I can have XSLT create server side web controls.
I'm left wondering what is the best method for reaching my goal.
The xml is actually more complex than the example above and can result in form fields of several fixed types (text, textbox, select list or a custom .net control.)
Hopefully this makes more sense.
Thanks,
-Bill
0
billo355
7/9/2004 4:12:58 PM
Did some looking around, I think this accomplishes what I want:

http://www.dnzone.com/showDetail.asp?TypeId=2&NewsId=151&LinkFile=page1.htm
Although other methods/thoughts would be appreciated.
-Bill
0
billo355
7/9/2004 5:32:02 PM
http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/ASP.NET/Creating-Dynamic-ASP.NET-Server-Controls-Using-XML/

- This has the complete code and its details !!!
Regards,
Ganesh A Gopalakrishnan.
0
ambals03

Web forms and mobile web forms

Include web form inside web form

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

Dynamic Web Form Help
Hi folks,I'd appreciate a point in the right direction regarding terminology (i.e., what to use) and/or some tutorial sites that show precisely what I'm asking.  I've looked and looked but only found pieces of the bigger puzzle. What I'm trying to do:I want to create a form that shows another portion of the form (on the same page) based upon user input.An Example of what I'm trying to do:This is what the form would look like initially (keep in mind that this is a bogus example to help show what functionality I'm looking for):    Which of the f...

Hello, I have a principal form with a list of information. From this form, I go on an edit forms and I want to control what is done on this form. For this, I want to block the button Windows back on my edit form. Somebody can help me ? Thank you for your help.  Jy. set the Session Variable (with your ID or whatever ) in the Principal Form when user click on Edit then put the One Back Button on your edit form and Redirect the page by using the Session variable value.Please Mark as Answred If This Blog has Helped You.RegardsMitesh Darjihttp://www.indianic.comhttp://www.mitatdotnet....

Web resources about - Help getting started with a dynamic web form - asp.net.web-forms

Watch the Republican Debate in Less Than Four Minutes
They railed against President Barack Obama , Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and the New York Times . They disagreed on New York values ...

Indonesia says attack underlines emergence of Islamic State threat
By Randy Fabi and Fergus Jensen JAKARTA (Reuters) - Indonesia must strengthen its defenses against Islamic State and work with neighboring countries ...

U.S. to invest billions in self-driving cars
Self-driving cars got a financial shot in the arm from the federal government Thursday, but a new report shows the autonomous vehicles have safety ...

US Powerball: Tickets, results, winning numbers, live stream of lottery for Australians
ONE of the winners of the world record Powerball jackpot has been revealed as a California nurse who was given the ticket by her generous boss. ...

America Ferrera Explains Where Golden Globes Bit with Eva Longoria Came From!
America Ferrera strikes a pose as she attends the 2016 Winter TCA Tour to promote her new NBC show Superstore on Wednesday (January 13) in Pasadena, ...

There's a Few Good Reasons to Download the New iOS Beta
The public beta of iOS 9.3 is available for all to download today. Normally, decimal-point upgrades aren’t much to write home about, but there’s ...

Franchise Ensemble SAG Award? ‘Chicago’ Boss Dick Wolf Calls For Rule Change
Two decades ago, Dick Wolf helped change the rules of dramatic storytelling with the introduction of the first crossover between his Law & Order ...

Netflix plans to block VPNs out of Australia
Netflix has warned that it will be cracking down on customers using proxies or unblockers to access its global catalogue, because it wants to ...

Foursquare's new CEO to shift company focus beyond consumers
Foursquare gambled big two years ago when it split its app in two. Unfortunately, that hasn't worked out so well. Despite reinstating universal ...

Data Scientist Mansplains Manspreading
For years, it’s been thought that manspreading is a result of men needing room for their penises (peni?) to breathe. There’s an even better potential ...