Handling exceptions in System.Timers.Timer

I have a System.Timers.Timer in my ASP.Net application that executes some code every 15. seconds. The user should be notified if something goes wrong during execution. I have inserted a try-catch-block in my elapsed-method, which catches the exceptions, but how do I throw the exception up ? I have tried with "throw myexception", but the exception is not caught anywhere even though I have placed try-catch-blocks around all method-calls. Where / how do I catch the exception ?

TIA
Thomas Dolberg

0
thomasabcd

The timer does a fire and forget, it fires your event, but it doesn't wait to see what happens.

A common approach would be to add an eventlog to your service and send errors to the event log when you catch the exception.
0
AndrewSeven

I cannot find Timer of System.Timers.Timer
I want to create a Windows Service by VB using VS 2005. However I cannot find Timer type System.Timers.Timer in Toolbox. I must as follow. However I cannot call function that handles Timer1.elapse Based on my understanding that because the system does not understand Timer1. Can anybody help me please? Thank you very much. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    Dim Timer1 As System.Timers.Timer     Protected Overrides Sub OnStart(ByVal args() As String)      &n...

System.Timers.Timer question on how to stop this timer
I have a webpage with two buttons: "Start timer" and "Stop timer" When I click the "Start timer" the timer object is started, with the start method oTimer.Start() This works great! When I click the "Stop timer", the timer keeps running. oTimer.Stop() What goes wrong?Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". Is oTimer a page-level instance? If so, you will be calling the Stop() method on a different instance.Maybe you can store the timer instance...

System.Timers.Timer issue
Hi- I have created a test program, where on click of a button I want to start three threads, thread1 at interval of 2 mins thread2 at interval of 3 mins and thead3 at interval of 5 mins. When I click the button all these threads are created successfully and all three log the entry in my log file indicating that they are being called. But the next time onwards, I see only the last thread in the function being fired at the specified interval of 5 mins. Wondering what's going on with the first two ones, they were called only once and never again. Protected Sub btnStartTimer_Cl...

System.Timers.Timer culture
Hello,The setup used is a windows 2003 server r2 and .NET 2.0 and a similiar setup. The differance is the language they are installed on. Swedish and English (UK) I have a System.Timers.Timer object, which is created during Application_Start to preform actions every tick.On both servers. the machine.config, web.config (both global and website specific) the globalization config is as follows:<globalization culture="sv-SE" uiCulture="sv-SE"/> All regional settings on the server that we can find is set to Swedish and Sweden.  Before the Timer is created ...

System.Timers.Timer does not work properly
Hi; I am going to generate a scheduled task on my ASP.NET web application using System.Timers.Timer class. The timer would start on Application_Start event and do the job for example every 10 minutes, periodically. Everything is OK, but the timer works for 3 times (More or less) and then be killed. I expect such timer must be kept running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please help me if you know something useful. Regards, M.Sadegh Samiei Well, ASP.Net is not a "service", the Application of the web app will be "terminated" when it's idle for a time (after the last us...

Timer in Web Forms
I am working with an ASP.NET application and was wondering how I would get the page to automatically refresh say every 5 seconds. Here's what I tried, but it stalls/hangs the web browser: 1)I made a timer control on the web form, enabled it, and ran it around 5,000 ms (5 sec). 2)In the VB Code Behind File or the source code that is executed when the timer elapses, I placed the code to do something (I call it refresh, but it's not a typical page refresh). 3) So when I run it, it stalls/hangs before it can do anything… (I know it's probably looping on this timer) What do you recommend? ...

Timer in Web form
How do I implement a Timer in web form to refresh the page every 60 seconds? Can you post some code here? Thanks in Advance! Sam  ^_^ Use JavaScript:   <script type="text/javascript"> window.setTimeout("location.reload();", 6000); </script>http://www.misii.uni.cc/ Thanks MISIIM! It works like magic!!! I have another question, I saw a Timer control on the Toolbox, how can I use it to call a function periodically? Thanks again! Sam :D ...

"System.Timers.Timer" Help!
Hi I am trying to get a 1 Second Timer to work without much success. Can someone please Help ! Development Environment: Microsoft Visual Studio VBasic.Net Active Server Page Web Form Operating System: Windows XP Here is what I have done: 1) Drag Timer component from Toolbox to Design Page 2) Visual Studio Created : Private Sub InitializeComponent() Me.Timer1 = New System.Timers.Timer CType(Me.Timer1, System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).BeginInit() ' 'Timer1 ' Me.Timer1.Enabled = True Me.Timer1.Interval = 1000 CType(Me.Tim...

System.Timers.Timer Class
WebForm programming can be very challenge. You have to think server side, then you have to think client side. Anyway, I need a tutorial, code example or something about server side class System.Timers.TimerI scouted around but haven't come up with a gooc one yet. Thanks, ngungo What do you need the Timer for?RegardsAndre Colbiornsen ---------------------------------Seventh DayRåbygatan 1A,SE-223 61 LundSwedenMob.: +46-(0)708-97 78 79Mail: info@seventhday.se-------------------------------- Hi adec,I am converting a WinForm to its counterpart WebForm app. The application involves arou...

Timers??? (Is it possible to set up a timer in the web app?)
Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to set up a timer that fires off a function at a specific time?I'm using VB.NET, ASP.NET 2.0 and Windows XP on an IIS 5.1 server. What I'd like to do is set up a function that sends an email on a weekly basis (1:00 PM on sundays).The creation of the function is not a problem at all.However, I was wondering if there was a way to set some sort of timer that determines if it is 1:00 and then fire off the function? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, JJDJ You'd be better writing a console application and then...

problem with System.Timers.Timer class and Global.asax
Hi, I'm trying to run a function periodically (every 5 minutes). The timer function works and triggers the function but the function returns a null exception error. However, if the function is called without the timer, it works. Ideas? Here is the code from the Global.asax file: <%@ Application Language="C#" %><%@ Import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ Import Namespace="System.Timers" %> <script RunAt="server"> void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e) { Timer myTimer = new Timer(); myTimer.Interval = 5000;...

closing web form with a timer
I have a hyperlink on my page which opens another aspx page on my site.  I was wondering how I could set up this opened page to automatically close after it has been open say 30 seconds.  I imagine the timer would be one way to do this (but I'm not that familiar with how it works), but does anyone know the specifics on the best way to accomplish this?  Thanks in advance.                                  &n...

Handling exceptions in web forms
Hi, Can any one point me to a good article that deals with handling exceptions efficiently. Thanks. Here's a few decent pointers. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/customerrors.asp http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspnet/html/asp07232001.asp Cheers, Wim Wim Hollebrandse---http://www.zealandit.com...

[ASK] Problem with System.Timers.Timer in Global.asax
I have a static timer declared in global.asax and add a new handler to execute every certain period of time.  The thing is it runs on visual studio but once I placed it on IIS it does not even run once.  Any clue? IIS won't start your website when you just put it there. It should be started on the first request made on the web. However when no requests are made for a certain period of time the website will be unloaded and your timer won't work again. If you really need a way how to execute something every x hours/minutes then go for windows services. Check these tutorial...

Web resources about - Handling exceptions in System.Timers.Timer - asp.net.web-forms

United States free speech exceptions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exceptions to free speech in the United States are limitations on the First Amendment's guarantee of free speech and expression as recognized ...

Podcast #42 – It’s The Exception That Proves The Rule
... Language and Usage , which was frustrated by the high number of certain types of questions that were coming in. Is this podcast the exception ...

Paul Ryan - Mother's health exception to abortion is "Mack truck" sized loophole - YouTube
April 5, 2000 - During the debate on a partial-birth abortion ban, Paul Ryan says that "the [mother's] health exception is a loophole wide enough ...

Queensland the exception as Labor to preference Greens before all in Senate
Labor's national executive has ordered the party to preference the Greens ahead of all others in every state except Queensland.

Exception to Origin rule
Exception to Origin rule

Peter FitzSimons: Sydney siege met with courage, wisdom and one exception
Senator David Leyonhjelm's response to the Sydney siege was gobsmacking.

Women film directors: still the exception
Women are better represented behind the camera than ever before but recognition is slow to catch up.

Men Need to Admit That Jian Ghomeshi Is No Exception
That men like Jian Ghomeshi are a terrible exception and if we as men simply stand up and say we are not as bad as that, or that we are not rapists ...

No exception in punishing the corrupt: People's Daily
No exception in punishing the corrupt: People's Daily People's Daily Online BEIJING, June 30 People's Daily , the flagship newspaper of the ...

No exception allowed in graft crackdown: People's Daily
No exception allowed in graft crackdown: People's Daily - Ecns.cn ecns The expulsion of Ling Jihua from the Communist Party of China (CPC) ...