Getting the Selected Item of dropdownlist inside Web User Control on a Web Form

Ive got a dropdownlist control inside a web user control called Entity.ascx.  This web user control is on a webform.aspx.  In Entity.ascx class I created a SelectedEntity property that returns the selected item in the dropdownlist.

Inside webform.aspx when btnGo is pushed I set a string and pass it in the url. I am trying to get the entity they selected via the property (SelectedEntity) inside Entity.ascx. As the SelectedEntity property tries to return the selected item in the dropdownlist I get this error:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
I've looked on the web & many forums and tried numerous "solutions" that don't seem to work for me. Any ideas?
0
hotice3100

Can you post the code for your webform.aspx.
0
amank
8/25/2004 6:24:23 PM
Ok the problem was I was binding the dropdownlist inside Entity.ascx on the Page_PreRender.  When I moved the code to bind the dropdownlist on the Page_Load it worked fine.  I don't know why it worked but it did ;)

Also if any newbies like me want to see the code let me know and I'll post.
0
hotice3100
8/25/2004 6:48:31 PM
Can you please post your code?

I have a similar problem with my dropdownlist in the web user control...
0
FrEaK_

Include web form inside web form

Web Form and Web User Control
Hello, I have a Web User Control (ascx) that includes a button. This button has an onclick event method. This Web User control is included into a Web Form. (thru LoadControl). However, when I click on the button, the event method is not executed. What should I include in order it works fine? Thanks in advance. GAA. Using Loadcontrol is using dynamic controls and when using dynamic controls you must recreate the same dynamic controls ono postback to econstruct the page control tree. It is best if you do this during the Page PreInit event. How complex are your controls ...

custom web user control and web form

Web User Control Not rendering in Web Form
I have created a Web User control that is made up of a Multiview with 2 views inside the Multiview. I have buttons on both views and a gridview on 1 view. My question is when I drop this Web User Control on a Web Form all I see is [MultiView"MultiView1"] and when I view the from in the browser I dont see the Web User Control. I was wondering if someone could please tell me why the Web User Control is not displaying or rendering.     Thanks In Advance Hi, Please check your aspx file for correct reference, like following example: TestControl.ascx:<%@ Control ...

web web web

Web forms and mobile web forms

Pass data from Web User Control to Web Form
I have a Web Form that contains a Web User Control. The WUC displays dynamic content. I want to change the TITLE property of the Web Form, based on the contents of the WUC. For example, if the WUC displays information about Horses, I want to change the page title to "HORSES" by passing the string to the parent Web Form. I have tried playing with parameters and such, but I can't remember how I did this in the past. PLEASE HELP!~o0 Spin-Monkey Oo~ The best way to do this is by creating a public property on your web user control and accessing that from your web form. Check ...

validate Textbox in Web User Control from web form?
ASP.NET 2.0 I have a web user control that contains a textbox.  I need to add some validation (like requiredfieldvalidator, comparevalidator, etc). I would normally add the validator to my web user control by placing the validator next to my textbox.  However, I need the validation message somewhere else on my web form, not near the user control. So how would I associate a validation control on my web form with the text box inside my web user control?  Can this be done; any alternatives out there? Thanks!   The error message should occur wherever you place the vali...

Access a Web User Control Method from a Web Form
I'm trying to pass the Selected Index value from a web user control in a web form to the user controls selectedIndexchanged Sub.  I can't seem to figure out how to pass the information that I need to the user control and have it execute the sub routine. In the SelectedInedxChanged Sub I have a switch Statement and I want to get the index value from the web form where the user control is located and compare it to each case and then to have it execute the code for the case that it matches. What do I need to do? Hi, I am not sure if I understood your question correctly. I su...

Access SqlDataSource on Web Form from a Web User Control...
Hello, I want to access a SqlDataSource on a Web Form fromout. a Web User Control. To do this, I have in my code behind of the Web User Control the folowing code: DropDownList1.DataSource = (this.Page.FindControl("SqlDataSource3") as SqlDataSource);DropDownList1.DataTextField = "Name;DropDownList1.DataValueField = "NameIDropDownList1.DataBind(); But, the control (ic. SqlDataSource3) is not found. Even other controls like labels and buttons are not found with the FindControl. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Andromedaris     This is not much of a surprise,...

Interaction between Web User Control & Web form
Ok, I want to create my first Web User Control which is used for file uploading. It's very simple, consist only of the <asp:FileUpload> and <asp:Button> control. The button has one server side event which is resizing the uploaded image to two different images (stored as byte[] in the cs file). So, my question is how I can send these two arrays of type byte to the Web form where the web user control is inside. I thought it should be possible to write something like this in the Web form:<uc1:FileUploader ID="uploader" runat="server" OnUploaded="recieveImages" />So that means ...

Web resources about - Getting the Selected Item of dropdownlist inside Web User Control on a Web Form - asp.net.web-forms

Tag Synonyms - Stack Overflow

Air Astana - Join Now

Blog - Avisra

Online Booking Tool Support