Get textbox value in client side

My problem is that in my ascx file i have a textbox & a input buttom with a javascript function that will validate the textbox:

<script lang="javascript">
function Test() {
if (document.all.txt1.value == "") {
alert();
return;
}
}
</script>
<asp:textbox id="txt1" runat="Server"></textbox>
<input type=button id="cmd1" onclick="javascript:Test();" value="Add">
But the function don't work, because the textbox control isn't recognised ("undefined")!
It seems that id of textbox control isn't generated in the client side, something about token id!?!
Any help will be great.
Thanks for all.
Renato Neves
0
renateves

Try changing 'all' to the actual form name.
David Wier
MCP/ASPInsider
ASPNet101.com - where to look first!
Please Vote for ASPNet101 - 'Best Community Resource'!
augustwind
8/26/2003 4:51:40 PM
Actually, if I'm not mistaken you have to put a

name="txt1"
attribute inside the textbox field in order to take advantage of JavaScripts dot notation. So then you could do something like
document.Form1.txt1.value
0
benahimvp
8/26/2003 5:24:47 PM
I usually try to refer to everything by it's ID:
document.getElementById('txt1').value

0
lowell
8/26/2003 6:09:15 PM
Thanks for all the help that was given, but i don't have success!

Why? In first place, i can't change the "all" to the form name because this controls are in a .ascx file, therefore don't exists the <Form> tag.
Second, if i try to refer the control by is ID:
document.getElementById('txt1').value
i can't get any value, because the ID of the textbox control in the client side isn't 'txt1', but '_ctrl1_txt1' or something seemed. I try with document.getElementByName('txt1'), but the result is the same, i can't get any reference to the textbox!!!
Any ideia!?
renateves
8/27/2003 10:14:14 AM
I just try everything to get "control" of the textbox control in the client side but nothing. I just try to add a attribute to the textbox:

<behind code>
txt1.Attributes.Add("onBlur", "AddAt(" + txt1.ClientID + ")")
<javascript>
function Add(objID) {
var objTXT = document.getElementByID(objID);
alert();
}
Despite the ID is send correct to the function, the getElementByID can't get element, just "break/stop". The alert isn't run!
Also try to get control by another ways that i found in the asp.net forum, but the result was the some:
document.all["txt1"].style.display = 'none';
document.all.elements["txt1"].style.display = 'block';
How can this be possible?! There isn't any way to get the control of the textbox in a .ASCX FILE!?!
I'm despaired :((( Need help.
Thanks.
Renato Neves
0
renateves
8/27/2003 11:04:02 AM
So if the ID on the client side is "_ctr1_txt1" why don't you just use getElementByID("_ctr1_txt1")?

But maybe another solution to your problem is to not use JavaScript explicitly to validate and use one of the sever validation controls. Looks like the RequiredValidator is what you're implementing manually.
0
benahimvp
9/4/2003 11:44:29 PM
To get the correct client-side ID for sure, you'd need to use Control's ClientID property to create the script and you can get that only via server-side code, so you need to create some of the script using server-side code.

<script lang="javascript">
function Test() {
if (document.getElementById('<%=txt1.ClientID%>').value == "") {
alert();
return;
}
}
</script>

<asp:textbox id="txt1" runat="Server"></asp:textbox>
<input type=button id="cmd1" onclick="javascript:Test();" value="Add">
Thanks,

Teemu Keiski
Finland, EU
0
joteke
9/5/2003 3:58:38 PM
And the winner is: "joteke"

<CLAP> <CLAP> <CLAP> :))))
To all the despaired that have the same problem, try the joteke ideia. for me it works! :))))))
One more thing: thanks all ppl that try to help me.
Bye bye, i have work to do.
0
renateves
9/5/2003 4:29:56 PM
It works for me but if I set the Visible property of the textbox to false, I get an error.

Is there a work around for this?
art
0
arankun
10/8/2003 10:59:44 PM
Never mine, I use the

<input type="hidden" id="Hidden" runat="server" >
Control instead of TextBox
art
0
arankun
10/8/2003 11:05:46 PM
document.getElementById('<%=txt1.ClientID%>').value   is only to get the value ?

Actually I try to write into a text box, but I can't.
I've tried this:
document.getElementById('<%=txt1.ClientID%>').value = "test"
but nothing appear

Let's say I have a html textbox (<input name="tmp" type="text") instead asp:textbox. So, how can I write to that textbox ?
document.forms[0].tmp.value = "ok" doesn't work
document.getElementById('<%=tmp.ClientID%>').value = "ok" doesn't work neither
Any idea ?
Btw, these textboxes are in the user control (ascx).
0
zzoo
2/3/2004 3:33:30 AM
i think it's just the references to .forms[0] that is killing you; the .getElementById function works fine.

maybe the form[0] does NOT have an object with NAME="tmp" attribute (maybe just the ID="tmp" and is missing the name?) how many <form> tags are on your document?
or
could it be that when the .ascx is rendered , it is not enclosed in the <form></form> tags?
just some ideas to look at.
here's some straight html that shows how you can get or set the value in a textbox with javascript; it is the same as what you were doing before, just not muddied with the asp side stuff yet:

<!--the form's "submitonce" field prevents people from hitting back button and resubmitting-->
<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="" NAME="" ID="" CLASS="" ONSUBMIT="if(document.getElementById('submitonce').value !=0) {alert('Form has already been submitted.'); return false;} else { document.getElementById('submitonce').value=1; return true}">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="mode" ID="mode" VALUE="2">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="submitonce" ID="submitonce" VALUE="0">
<TEXTAREA NAME="txt1" ID="txt1" ROWS="4" COLS="40"></TEXTAREA><BR>
<INPUT TYPE="button" NAME="aq" ID="aq" VALUE="msg the val" onclick="alert(document.getElementById('txt1').value);">&nbsp;&nbsp;
<INPUT TYPE="button" NAME="submitbtn" ID="submitbtn" VALUE="change the val" onclick="document.getElementById('txt1').value = 'test'; ">
<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="txt2" ID="txt2" value="">
<INPUT TYPE="button" NAME="aq2" ID="aq2" VALUE="msg the val" onclick="alert(document.getElementById('txt2').value);">&nbsp;&nbsp;
<INPUT TYPE="button" NAME="submitbtn2" ID="submitbtn2" VALUE="change the val" onclick="document.getElementById('txt2').value = 'test'; ">

0
lowell

Getting Value from Client-side InputBox to .net variable
hi, im doing a login page for our timekeeping. Since there's no msgbox available on asp.net, im doing it dynamically via javascript. How do i Get the value frm a dynamically written javascript (such as inputbox) to a .net variable? here's the logic of my program, user logs in hits the button and sub-routine Login will be fired, if user is late -- call Check_Late Sub, this is whre the client-side script was built -- then after that i wanted to be able to get the value from an inputbox. '// if button login clicked Sub Login(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) .......

how to get value from client side script Prompt window to a session var in .net
hi guyz, i hav a problem with getting a value from a client-side inputbox to a session var in .net. is this possible? however, when i click submit button this is the code that's triggered. dim sb as New System.Text.StringBuilder sb.append("<script language=" & """" & "vbscript" & """" & ">") sb.append(vbcrlf) sb.append(vbcrlf) sb.append("do while xLate =" & """" & """") sb.append(vbcrlf) '//prompt window, val...

getting values from a web form to windows form
Hot Requirement ..... Is there any possible of getting values from a web form to windows form ????? Yes One way i to use the WebRequest and WebResponse classes of the System.Net namespace. For example:  WebRequest request = WebRequest.Create("URL of the web page); WebResponse response = request.GetResponse(); StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(response.GetResponseStream()); string content = reader.ReadLine(); ....    Reza Nassabehwww.professionalcsharp.comDon't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way fut...

How to get the Client side values in server side code.
Hi all, i have a proble i need to get the client side javascript values in C# code at server side. how can i pass those values? i am using version 1.1, i kno thatwe can use callback events mechnisam in 2.0 or ajax ,apart from that how we can pass? My problem is i need to stop the execution of the code based on after reciving values from the client   any ideas please???   Million thanks RamCheersRam MCP Hello Ram, a common approach is from javascript set an hidden field, then issue a postback. On the server-side, handle the post-back. Feel free to go deeper in your que...

repeater with textboxes. how to read the textbox values on client side
Hi  I have a data bounded repeater with text boxes attached. How can I read the values of the textboxes using javascript?? Could not find a proper link.. Appreciate any solution , thanks     The repeater will add a prefix to each textboxes ID to ensure uniqueness.  The following function will loop through all textboxes of the repeater, and if the ID of the given textbox contains the string specified, the it will consider it a match and you can access it's value property easily.  Here is the function: function textboxFinder() { var repeater =...

pass client textbox value to a server side textbox
HiDoes anyone know how in javascript to pass a client side textbox value to a server side textbox?Thanks in advance.Graham. An asp textbox is a resular textbox. so you do it the same way.document.formName.elementName.value = document.formName.elementName2.value;One thing to note is that the asp textbox is going to have a slightly different name then what you named it.EricPascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn...

Getting hidden variable value from server side in client side
hi,        I am struck in problem. I have a hidden field in my form and i am setting some value in that.         Now i wnt to use this value from client side but i m not able to retrieve it. All i am getting there is an object.         I feel the hidden field is not able to hold that value.         <input type="hidden" id="hdnVar" runat="server" />         in code behind      ...

How to Encrypt the value of textbox in client side and Decrypt it in server side?
How to Encrypt the value of textbox in client side and Decrypt it in server side? THere is no use in decrypting ur content @ client side since a normal user can view the decrytion logic when he takes 'view source' option 'SSL' technology is used in this situations. SreejithSreejithhttp://tips4dotnet.blogspot.com/ Sreejith: he did not ask to decrypt it on client-side! Take a loot at this article on the Cryptography application block: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms954823Josh Stodola ← Come check out my blog! Another good article: http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/VB.Net...

textbox value set on client side, is not visible on server side or, on the source of the page.
hi, I have a textbox on my webform. the first time I load my page I fill this textbox with  "name" on the server side. once the page is loaded I set the value of the textbox to "thisIsme" with client side code. I even see a different text in the texbox. client side:document.all('txtnameInput').value =  'thisIsme'; server side:Me.txtnaam.Text 'is stil "name" and not "thisIsme" Why is this happening? on the webpage I see the text "thisIsme", but when I look at the source of the webpage I still see the old value in it. it's very odd... I am NOT setting the value back to "name...

C#.NET WEB APPLICATION

Client Side Get Value
I am trying to retrieve the current value of a textbox from my code behind and assign it to a variable. Currently I am using something like   dim id as new string  id = txtbox1.text.toString()  When I am loading the page I am checking for a cookie then putting the value of the cookie in the txtbox1. Currently when I use the code above it gets the value that was put in there by the cookie. Is there a way to retrieve the value if the user changes what the value is of that textbox? I know in Javascript there is  txtbox1.value But I am having trouble taking the value ...

How to get value from client side
in my program I want to send a value to my modal popup, how can I do that? Thanks lyha Is it what you are looking for?http://forums.asp.net/thread/1618616.aspx Anish DevasiaMCP,MCAD---------------------------------------------------...

Web resources about - Get textbox value in client side - asp.net.web-forms

Aqua (user interface) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Aqua is the GUI and primary visual theme of Apple Inc. 's OS X operating system . It is based around the theme of water, as its name suggests, ...

Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
WP:RFCU redirects here. You may be looking for Wikipedia:Requests for comment/User conduct ( WP:RFC/U ), CheckUser policy ( Wikipedia:CheckUser ...

Help - Identi.ca
Identi.ca is a social service . Users can post short(140 character) status messages which are broadcast totheir friends and colleagues on the ...

City of Whitehorse, YT : Contact
Employment - Bylaws - Document Library - FAQ - Contact Us Search Query Textbox Home Home About Whitehorse Notify Me Contact Us Employee Links ...

www.asianewsphoto.com Help
Help for uploading pictures Noun explanation Group pictures: a basic unit which stands for a piece of news photo in system; include: information ...

Metamorphose: All-In-One File/Folder Renamer For Windows, Mac & Linux
Previously, we’ve reviewed many batch file-renaming applications like ReNamer (read review), NameChanger (read review), File Grinder (read review) ...

How to build a Twitter extension for Chrome
Ars takes a close look at the Chrome Web browser's new extension system. In …

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- RSS
... RSS Service, please follow the instructions below. STEP 1. Select the product to subscribe. STEP 2. The RSS link will be shown on the Textbox ...

authonomy writers and readers - Daniel Escurel Occeno's profile - authonomy writing community
... of the Point Guard”. It is entered in www.textnovel.com writing contest.In the TEXTNOVEL website simply type in “Lee Chon” in the textbox search ...

Baseball Prospectus
Forgot Your Password? Enter your username in the textbox below. Username: If you don't remember your username, please contact Customer Service ...