Foreign Characters not Dsiplaying in Web Form

Hello All,

Hoping someone can help.  I have a web form with a textbox that is being populated from an nvarchar output parameter in SQL Server.  The foreign characters show up fine in the db table and in the results of the stored procedure but some of the characters with special accent marks show up as boxes.

I've been searching for a solution for a while and have tried several suggestions including putting the following in the web.config file.

 <globalization fileEncoding="utf-8" requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" culture="en-US" uiCulture="en-US"/>

I've also tried including  CodePage=65001 in the header of the form as below but nothing works.

<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodePage=65001 CodeFile="WordSwap.aspx.vb" Inherits="WordSwap"%>

Can someone steer me in the right direction?

0
cg

what are the ascii codes for the characters that wont appear?

loop through them in the db if you have too.

0
Villain
4/16/2007 11:43:14 PM

I don't know the Ascii codes for them but they are in the Greek Extended section of the UTF-16 encoding.  They are related to the Greek Polytonic characters with diacritical marks.  The characters show up correctly in the database and in several word editing and processing programs like Word and BablePad but if I try to paste them into Google in IE6 they show up as square boxes.  It seems like it's maybe a browser setting issue but I can't find a setting that seems like it would make a difference.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

0
cg
4/18/2007 9:17:57 PM

For the benefit of others who may encounter this problem, here is the answer.  I discovered it through a helpful website http://www.tlg.uci.edu/help/Help6.html   The problem is that only a select set of fonts support certain Polytonic Greek characters, those with diacritic marks.  One of the fonts available to windows users is Arial Unicode MS.  All I needed to do is change the font type of the TextBox in my web form to that above and the characters display fine.  A list of additional fonts that support Polytonic are listed in a linked page to the one above at http://www.tlg.uci.edu/help/UnicodeTest.html.

Hope this might be helpful to someone else.

0
cg

Web forms and mobile web forms

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

Include web form inside web form

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

Hello, I have a principal form with a list of information. From this form, I go on an edit forms and I want to control what is done on this form. For this, I want to block the button Windows back on my edit form. Somebody can help me ? Thank you for your help.  Jy. set the Session Variable (with your ID or whatever ) in the Principal Form when user click on Edit then put the One Back Button on your edit form and Redirect the page by using the Session variable value.Please Mark as Answred If This Blog has Helped You.RegardsMitesh Darjihttp://www.indianic.comhttp://www.mitatdotnet....

Strange output in web form after web form is displayed.
   I have been using a web user control for over a week now with no problems. I am now getting strange output in my web form after my controls display on the page. Below is the strange output. Can anyone tell me what is wrong here? Note I did not include it all because it is quite large.   Request Details Session Id: l5b5vkazucfatba4oliaw1vi Request Type: POST Time of Request: 9/10/2007 4:59:59 PM Status Code: 200 Request Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Response Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Trace Information Category Message From First(s) F...

Web resources about - Foreign Characters not Dsiplaying in Web Form - asp.net.web-forms

Dilbert (character) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dilbert is a fictional character and the main character and protagonist of the Dilbert comic strip . He is a white collar office worker who has ...

RANKED: Every character in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' from best to worst
... "Avatar" ($760.5 million) as soon as New Year's Day. What really makes "The Force Awakens" work so well, at the end of the day, are the characters, ...

Colbert: Trump is "my old character with $10 billion"
The "Late Show" host joined "Face the Nation" and weighed in on the rapid political rise of the bombastic businessman

If Star Wars Characters Had Cats
Submitted by: (via Griz and Norm ) Tagged: star wars , illustration , Cats Share on Facebook

Look out ghosts! New 'Ghostbusters' character posters debut
Get ready to fight pesky spirits with these official "Ghostbusters" character posters of Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones and Kate ...

Black Pastor Destroys Pundit For Denying Racism: 'You Don't Have The Character To Even Listen'
... "Political incorrectness is racist, it's xenophobic because it really in a sense diminishes people's humanity," Hagler explained. "It characterizes ...

Smash glitch lets you control eight characters at once
... seeing what corners and cracks they can find hidden in its depths. If you've ever for some weird reason wanted to control eight Smash characters ...

This Is How Much Money Has Been Spent Saving Matt Damon's Movie Characters
From 'Saving Private Ryan' to 'The Martian,' the actor has needed plenty of rescuing.

8 Lessons For Female Entrepreneurs From Jennifer Lawyer's Character in 'Joy'
Joy,thefeature out this week starring Jennifer Lawrence, Robert Dinero and Bradley Cooper, follows the real-life story of Long Island's JoyMangano. ...

‘X-Force’ Movie Characters Revealed In Concept Art, Will It Get Made?
... for another movie spin-off, X-Force , turned up on the internet Monday to reveal the possible line-up of mutant heroes with one mystery character. ...