dynamically creating html controls on web form

hello all,

I'm creating html <input type="file" name="test" id="test" runat="server"> dynamically using Javascript on a .aspx page.

when i submit the form i get Javascript "Access is denied" error.

if i take out name attribute from input tag in javascript -  it is not throwing any javascript error but the file is not being uploaded to the server.

Thanx in advance

0
sanjayk

Maybe this is a security restriction imposed by the browser? I know there are several constraints on how JavaScript can interact with a file upload HTML element. Such constraints are a Good Thing, otherwise nefarious websites could sneakily upload files from your computer to their website!

So I'm not sure what the precise problem is, but I'd wager that this is a security issue and you aren't going to be able to access or work with the file upload control via script.

Happy Programming!

-- Scott Mitchell
-- mitchell@4guysfromrolla.com
-- http://scottonwriting.net/sowblog/
-- http://www.4GuysFromRolla.com/ScottMitchell.shtml
0
Scott
8/8/2007 7:37:40 PM

If thats the case Scott, he could then code the control on the page and make it hidden and then show the control when he is ready to use it.

or if you really want to the make the control dynamic; Add it from the code behind.

1    Dim cf As HtmlInputFile = New HtmlInputFile()
2            Me.Controls.Add(cf)

-- Signed --
J. McCarthy
0
jmccarthy
8/8/2007 7:45:09 PM

Thank you Scott for your reply,

just now noticed something

in .js file when i write the <input type="file" id="test1"... > tag

the next line in .js is getElementById('test1').click();

it opens browse window, and when i select the file now it is being displayed in the input box. and if i submit the form i get "access is denied" error.

and if i comment the click() and click the browse button manually it works fine and the file is getting uploaded to server.

is there any thing wrong in using javascript click() on <input type="file" ...>

Thank you

0
sanjayk
8/8/2007 7:47:41 PM

sanjayk:

is there any thing wrong in using javascript click() on <input type="file" ...>

I'm not 100% certain that it is disabled because of  security concerns, but that's what I'd assume. Think about it - you don't want to visit a website where a page could have JavaScript manipulate the file upload control.

Happy Programming!

-- Scott Mitchell
-- mitchell@4guysfromrolla.com
-- http://scottonwriting.net/sowblog/
-- http://www.4GuysFromRolla.com/ScottMitchell.shtml
0
Scott
8/8/2007 7:58:21 PM

Thank you for letting me know

Sanjau

0
sanjayk

Dynamically created controls in web form
Hi there. This is bit of an open ASP.Net (C#) question with regards to dynamically created controls and in particular tabular or panel controls. What I currently have is a web page that creates between 1 and 6  tables, each of which holds specific data about a set of products, each table (or panel, if you want) has a couple of multi-line TextBoxes and a few other controls, all lined up in a set format. The number is determined by the data records returned from a database table. My question is what is a best way to create these tables of data at run time?  Has anybody else had e...

Dynamically creating controls in Web forms
I am able to create a web control programmatically and display on the form. In the click event of the button then I am trying to capture the value entered in the above created textbox in another click of button but I am unable to obtain the reference of the control that has been created dynamically. Can anyone help me please? protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Panel myPanel; private void btnMake_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { TextBox txtBox = new TextBox(); myPanel.Controls.Add(txtBox); } private void btnGotValues_Click(object sender, System...

Web forms and mobile web forms

Include web form inside web form

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

Web resources about - dynamically creating html controls on web form - asp.net.web-forms