Dynamically adding buttons to web form and wiring up the onclick event.

I have a web form that is generated at runtime with a number of dynamically created buttons. Creating the buttons is easy, but wiring them up is not. I would love to use the cold behind and a single onclick event. Then based on the id, I can call a single method that does an operation. Each button will perform the same tasks. The user can chose one of three tasks. I though I would either have a dropdown or three radio buttons for this. Alternatively, I could have some javascript, but I am not quiet sure how to post back with javascript and if all the buttons will make it more difficult. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

I thought about normalizing the data which comes to me in an xml document that is not well formed, I have no control over that, and then binding that to a dataset. But I get some weird page validation error witch I have not take time to research yet.

Thank MJ

0
MountainJack

MJ,

By submitting an HTML Form, any form field values will be posted to the server.  So, in your situation, any submit button will do just fine, since you're basing your logic on the selected item in a radio button, etc.  A simple <input type="submit" value="somevalue"/> should work fine to submit the form when clicked, without requiring javascript.

Hope this helps!

-Tony

Tony Lombardo
Infragistics
blog

TIP: Click "Mark as Answer" on a post that helped you, to get recognition points.
0
tony_lombardo

I have a web form that is generated at runtime with a number of dynamically created buttons. Creating the buttons is easy, but wiring them up is not. I would love to use the cold behind and a single onclick event. Then based on the id, I can call a single method that does an operation. Each button will perform the same tasks. The user can chose one of three tasks.

I've made a sample as follows, it works.

{
Response.Write(IsPostBack.ToString());
Button btn = new Button();
btn.Text = "hello";
Form.Controls.Add(btn);
btn.Click += new EventHandler(Button1_Click);

Button btn2 = new Button();
btn2.Text = "hello2";
Form.Controls.Add(btn2);
btn2.Click += new EventHandler(Button1_Click);
}
{
Button btn = sender as Button;
Response.Write(btn.Text + " Clicked");
}

Alternatively, I could have some javascript,

You can use this.ClientScript.GetPostBackEventReference method to get a string representing the javascript which will cause a postback, and add it to the button's click attribute.

btn.Attributes.Add("onclick", ClientScript.GetPostBackEventReference(btn, "arguments"));

Hope it helps.

0
Raymond
1/25/2007 1:34:42 AM

hi MJ,

look at these thread, it has solutions

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1470853.aspx

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1460523.aspx

hope it helps

Jessica Cao
Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
0
Jessica

Hello, I have a principal form with a list of information. From this form, I go on an edit forms and I want to control what is done on this form. For this, I want to block the button Windows back on my edit form. Somebody can help me ? Thank you for your help.  Jy. set the Session Variable (with your ID or whatever ) in the Principal Form when user click on Edit then put the One Back Button on your edit form and Redirect the page by using the Session variable value.Please Mark as Answred If This Blog has Helped You.RegardsMitesh Darjihttp://www.indianic.comhttp://www.mitatdotnet....

Web forms and mobile web forms

Include web form inside web form

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

How to make web form button receive javascript on onclick event?
********************************************************************** Compiler Error Message: BC30456: 'javascript' is not a member of 'ASP.wbcgrycolor_aspx'. Source Error: Line 60: </TR> Line 61: </TABLE> Line 62: <asp:Button id="Button1" onclick="javascript:GetDate('lblColor')" runat="server" Text="Button"></asp:Button> Line 63: </TD> Line 64: </TR> ********************************************************************* what's happen for this ? it will...

Strange output in web form after web form is displayed.
   I have been using a web user control for over a week now with no problems. I am now getting strange output in my web form after my controls display on the page. Below is the strange output. Can anyone tell me what is wrong here? Note I did not include it all because it is quite large.   Request Details Session Id: l5b5vkazucfatba4oliaw1vi Request Type: POST Time of Request: 9/10/2007 4:59:59 PM Status Code: 200 Request Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Response Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Trace Information Category Message From First(s) F...

Web resources about - Dynamically adding buttons to web form and wiring up the onclick event. - asp.net.web-forms