Convert a String to a Number

How can i convert a character to a number, so that the result is only numerical digits, and would always be the same, besides 26 (plus non-alpha characters) if-then statements.

like, A = 1 and A always equals 1

so if I had the string:  1234A

after converting, I would get the result:  12341

A doesn't necessarily have to = 1, or even a single digit.  It just has to equal a numerical... number.

0
bortiquai

perhaps you can do something like this.

Store your letters in an array A and maintain a cooresponding array B that has the numeric equivalent you would want to replace the letter with.

When an alpha character is found in array A, you simply substitute the value from array B at the same index position giving you repeatable replacements.

        Dim arA As Char() = {"A", "B", "C", "D", "E"}
        Dim arB As Char() = {"1", "2", "3", "4", "5"}

        Dim test As String = "1234A"

        'convert test string into a char array
        Dim chars As Char() = test.ToCharArray

        'for each char in our input string
        For index As Integer = 0 To chars.Length - 1
            'find each char in the first array
            'converting to uppercase as we go
            'to match how we entered them in our 1st array
            Dim i As Integer = Array.IndexOf(arA, Char.ToUpperInvariant(chars(index)))

            'if found, use the char in the same index position from the 2nd array
            'and replace the character
            If i >= 0 Then chars(index) = arB(i)

        Next

        'now convert the char array back into a string
        test = New String(chars)

        'test will now equal "12341"

Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~

mbanavige
12/29/2007 1:00:04 AM

Yeah, that would work.  But i was looking for something even simpler, like using an ASCII code, or converting the string as a whole to hex.

 Like ConvertToSomething(125t-12A) = 23098432 or whatever.

 Maybe i could combine that with your idea, but instead of using arrays, just iterate each character and if it is non-numeric, convert it to something that is numeric.

 Thanks for your suggestions.

0
bortiquai
12/29/2007 1:15:41 AM

Try something like this:

string x = "50";

Int32 i = Int32.Parse(x);

Please remember to Mark this post as Answered if it serves your purpose so that issue can be closed and others can refer.
0
SKVSKV
12/29/2007 1:19:24 AM

bortiquai:

... just iterate each character and if it is non-numeric, convert it to something that is numeric.

In order to distinguish between the characters that are numeric digits and those that are not, i think you will need to iterate.  Here's a simpler iteration.

        Dim sb As New StringBuilder
        Dim test As String = "1234A"
        For Each c As Char In test.ToCharArray
            If Char.IsDigit(c) Then
                sb.Append(c)
            Else
                sb.Append(Asc(c))
            End If
        Next
        test = sb.ToString

Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~

mbanavige

Convert Number In Strings to Numeric Form
Hi, I need some help in converting strings that contain numbers back into numeric form. Apparently, when I sort string formatted number, the arrangement was according to alphanumeric order (eg. 1, 10,11,2,20,21,3,30... ). Thanks, TY on Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:14:40 GMT, Mok T.Y.-R15382 wrote: > I need some help in converting strings that contain numbers back into > numeric form. Apparently, when I sort string formatted number, the > arrangement was according to alphanumeric order (eg. 1, > 10,11,2,20,21,3,30... ). Are you using the correct comparison operator? As ...

how to convert form string to number and back?
Hello, I have to read and write some number-values form/to the ultralite-DB. In the reference-DB (Sybase) the fields are defined as numeric(16,6). I have tried the following in CodeWarrier: 1) Defne the fields in the sql declare section as static char fieldname[17]. This works for download / upload, and showing the values. But if I have to UPDATE the table I get an SQLE_CONVERSION_ERROR 2) Define the fields as DECL_DECIMAL(16,6). Now I can't show the value and can't get the Palm-field and write it to the defined variable because I have only found a sample code to get and...

converting PowerBuilder app to .NET web forms
Hello Version 11.1 build 8123/sql server. We access PowerBuilder through SoftGrid. We are planning on converting our pb apps to .net web forms. We need IIS on our development server. We cannot have IIS installed on our desktops. How would I go about explaining to our IT dept how we need IIS installed for us to proceed with .NET? Second Question: We also need the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. Is this also something that would typically be installed on individual desktops? any help would be greatly appreciated Sincerely Tony With 11.1, you have the option of deploying to an...

Converting Windows Form to Web Form
Is it possible to convert a windows form to a web form? I want to convert a VB 6.0 application I worked on for a year(24 forms) to a web application. My plan is to migrate form VB 6.0 to VB .NET and then to ASP.NET Thank u in advance. well an ASP.NET app can do anything that a VB6 app can do, that is for sure :) so it is possible the question is how easy? how well did you keep separate business from user-interface logic? it may be as simple as cuttting/pasting a bunch of methods, and dropping a few visual components to call them. to maintain full compliance with...

PB 11 .Net Web Form return a simple string?
Is it possible to create a pb 11 webform app that will accept input parms and return a simple string in response? Not trying to convert an existing app, I just want to be able to create web forms that can accept input parms, query a database to determine the answer based on the parms, and then return the answer in string format. For example, if I typed in the following url http://localhost.com/test?empid=1000 it might return "John Doe" as a simple string. WebForm is the wrong direction. You can create a .net assembly and use this inside asp. No big deal. ...

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

convert Windows Forms UIs to Web Forms
that If i made an application in vb.net .How i can migrate to asp.netThanks Hi VGTA,There is no automatic wizard that will convert an ASP.NET app to WinForms, or a WinForms app to ASP.NET.  However, a number of the concepts are similar between the two models and you will be able to re-use all of your non-UI specific code.  The broader .NET Framework class library is also the same.Hope this helps,Scott I found a tool with which you can convert Windows Forms to its corresponding Web Form counterparts. http://www.suite4.net/products/form.suite4.net/win-web-forms/default.aspxAnand...

.Net Web Form & Web Service Deployment

How to convert web form(web page) to a word document
Hi Guys.Can any one give me a hint on how to  convert a web form (a web page) to a word document.Thank You...

Web forms and mobile web forms

how to convert vb.net website to csharp.net web site
Can we convert a website(VB.NET) to csharp.net website in VS2005???mahmood Why do you want to convert VB into C#? you can create new modules for the site in C#, and they can co-exist in the same system. If you have some specific requirements, then use online tools to convert vb.net into c# to convert the codebehind files. Most probably the .aspx file will remain unchanged, but you might need to make some changes here and there.You will get lots of converters online by just googling it. I would strongly recommend avoiding converting codes, as I have faced the horrors of the process. Pr...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
 I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a few kinks when using the process on a VB project.  The Problem:After creating a new Web Application Project, copying in the old files, and running the "Convert to Web Application Project" process, the site would no longer build.  Any classes stored in the "Old_App_Code" folder (previously named...

Web resources about - Convert a String to a Number - asp.net.web-forms

List of converts to Buddhism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Today’s apps gone free: BlockBear, Stock Grader, PDF Smart Convert and more
Block ads and other annoying content, take the emotion out of investing, and convert almost anything into a PDF with todays collection of apps ...

Ford patents rear wheel that converts into a unicycle
Filed under: Government/Legal , Green , Ford , Green Driving , Motorcycle , Electric Ford is thinking about allowing drivers to remove a rear ...

How to convert your old VHS tapes to DVD with this software
Remember those old VHS tapes you have sitting in the corner? Convert them into DVDs with this affordable software so you can easily watch them ...