Combining a server-side control with a client-side control!

Hi all,

I am trying to combine a server-side control with a client-side control.

I have created a listbox in both sides, the client-side control's code is:

<select size="4" name="lstFruit" id="Select1" ondblclick="lst_dblClick" visible="false">

<option value="Banana">Banana</option>

<option value="Apple">Apple</option>

<option value="Mango">Mango</option>

<option value="Orange">Orange</option>

</select>

The other one is the server-side control which has this code:

I wanted to add the ondblClick attribute to the server-side control and i used this code in the page load to do it: lstITems is the server-side control i have created which hasn't the dblClick attribute

Me.lstITems.Attributes.Add("OndblClick", "lst_dblClick")

I made sure that the attribute has been added to the server-side control, but its not calling the required method which is:

<script runat="server" >

Protected Sub lst_dblClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

lblResult.Text = "You double clicked this item!"

End Sub

</script>

Whenever i double click the item in the listbox i got error in page!

any idea how to solve this problem?

Best regards,

~*Cute*~
0
Cute

The only events available for a ListBox AFAIK are:
   Server-side:
      SelectedIndexChanged
   Client-side:
      onblur
      onchange
      onfocus

Also, the way that you're attaching the event:
     Me.lstITems.Attributes.Add("OndblClick", "lst_dblClick")
makes it a client-side event and that's why you're getting the script error.

The proper way to attach a server-side event is:
     Protected Sub lst_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles lst.SelectedIndexChanged

Or
     AddHandler lst.SelectedIndexChanged, AddressOf lst_SelectedIndexChanged

NC...

0
NC01
1/26/2006 2:13:33 PM

Hi again,

This helped a lot dear

Just came back to say thanx alot

Best regards,

~*Cute*~
0
Cute
3/4/2006 11:14:36 AM

Hi again,

This helped a lot dear

Just came back to say thanx alot

Best regards,

~*Cute*~
0
Cute

What are diff Server-side control and Client-side control ?
What are diff Server-side control and Client-side control ? and diff server -side coding and client -side coding ? please help I have answered the first part of your question in your previous posting. Server-side coding languages are ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, CGI (Perl) and many, many more. They are used to create dynamic web content (based on additional information that is attached to the request) and are often used to extract information from databases. Client-side coding languages are JavaScript, VBScript, EMACScript and are used to create dynamic content that responds to the u...

Is there a correspondance for each server side control to be equivalent to a client side html control
Where can find the list and can use that equivalence and what is its usage plsThanksThanks a lot, I appreciate your taking the time to help me. What exactly do you mean? A correspondence of what?All controls have a ClientID property, which for most controls tells the DOM element ID that will be used in the HTML rendering. Aside from that certain controls might offer additional client-side functionality, but there's no one standard.Thanks,EilonBlog: http://weblogs.asp.net/LeftSlipper/ I mean. When I am using html control in my aspx page like:  <input type=text ..>  and...

server-side control inside another server-side control
Hi everyone. I have a requirement where I need to create a custom server side control which will contain a series of ASP controls -- no problem there. However, this component also needs to itself be placed inside a server side control, and then placed into the page...so I'll have a custom server-side component inside a custom server-side component. Is that even possible? Everytime I start to think about it I get a headache. Thanks Matt  It's perfectly possible. Just give it a try and you'll see that it works.-- "Mark As Answer" if my reply helped you -- Yup...

web forms with client and server side controls??
Hi, I have a form that has client and server side controls. I have a problem in that any client controls (textbox) within the form runat="server" can not be accessed with client side code. Anyone got any ideas why and what work arounds are possible. Regards, Graham. once a form element is inside a <FORM> tag, you can no longer refer to it by its ID alone. you have to refer to it by formname.elementid or document.all.elementid. use document.getElementById(yourtextboxid) to get a ref to the element in the form. using this allows u to bypass the formn...

server side controls in a non-server side form
I want to use server side controls in a non-server side form.I use server side controls (like dropdownlists) so I can fill them with the right options from the database.My question is, what is the best way to approach this?CAN I use server-side controls in a client side form? If so, how can I get the values contained in the controls when I do a post? (not in a querystring).Here's a sample of my code: <form id="frmAdvancedSearch" method="post" action="advancedSearch.aspx"> <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server"></asp:TextBox> <input type="submit" /> </form>...

How to access dynamically Html controls (client side controls) using C# server side scripts
Folks,I have problem try to to access dynamically Html controls (client side controls) using C# server side scripts. Please give me helps.     The error is as follows Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.Source Error: Line 79: { Line 80: Control c = Page.FindControl("ddlTC" + i); Line 81: ((DropDownList)c).DataSource = mdt; Line 82: ((DropDownList)c).DataTextField = "ClassID"; Line 83: ((DropDownList)c).DataValueField = "Course"; My aspx page source codes: ...<...

Server-side versus Client-side controls?
Hi, I'm new to ASP.NET, and I was wondering how negligible the performance impact of using server-side controls over client-side controls is? Should I avoid using server-side controls and use client-side ones whereever I can? Or should I not care? From apurely aesthetic point-of-view, it would be nice to use mostly all server-side controls to keep everything consistent. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks. There are up's and down's of both server-side and client side controls.  Read this article and you will have a better understanding on which is better.http://www.eggh...

Web User Control +Client Side Control
Two Questions if Possible:  1: Some controls have methods/properties that can be gotten/set client-side (IE ASP:Timer).  Can usally access them by "$find('<%=Control.ClientID%>').get_(set_)name()".  I made a User Control that has a "Enabled" Propertiy (basically sets a bunch of its components to "visible = false" and then a Timer.Enabled=false).  I can't access my user controls "enabled" via client side script (IE $find(UserControl.ClientID).set_enabled(false)).  How do I bundle this type of fu...

Passing Server Side Control to Client Side Script
Hi All, I have an asp:DropDownList and an asp:TextBox on my form. I want to disable or enable the textbox depending on the selection in the dropdown. I am using master pages and the problem is that when I use the onChange event for the dropdown on the client side, I don't know the ID of the the textbox on the client side to disable or enable it.  How can something like this be done? Thanks,AKA You can use the ClientID property of a control to determine the ID, something like:  <script type="text/javascript"> function ShowMeTheID(){ alert('...

Server Side control invoking a Client Side event
I need to figure out how to get a server side control to process the "OnMouseOver" event. Since server side controls do not have the onmouseover event associated with them, how would you make for example, a DropDownList have a "OnMouseOver" event associate with it? The DropDownList must be server side. I guess the idea here is to set client-side events on the server-side control. Any help will be appreciated. You may try something like this: In server side code DDL1.Attributes.Add("onmouseover", "javascript:alert('Hi')") Th...

Client side clock using server side controls
Is it possible to create a client side clock using a server side control (label or textbox) in C# without accessing JavaScript?  If so, how? In principal it is possible, it depends how often you need to reload this clock ... if every second than: 1. It is no sens to do I mean 2. You need than to make setTimeout client script, to refresh page every second With FastPage it seems more real task ... http://fastpage.more.at...

Changing Server-Side Control Properties by Client-Side
Hi, I have 4 server side button control. These are for choices of a competition website(A,B,C,D) and I have 1 client side button control named "Changer" on the same page. When I click the Changer I want it to disable A, if it is disabled I want it to disable B... The main question in this topic is "How can I change properties of a server-side control by client-side" My javascript side is not very well. How can I do this? Please help me. I got it guys. Thank You very much.. Hi, Here is the javascript for enable and disable two server side buttons with id Button1 and Butt...

Client-Side enabling of a Server-Side disabled control?
Recently I came into a situation that required me to enable a control client-side, which was previously disabled server-side. Let me explain using a checkbox as an example. When I run chkMyCheckBox.enabled = false, the resulting HTML includs a dynamically created a span that encloses the control. This span is does not have an ID and has the attribute disabled="disabled". This inturn disables the control and it's associated label. Problem being, I see a way to enable the control on the client-side, which requires me to enabled the span as well. Has anyone needed to do this bef...

Web resources about - Combining a server-side control with a client-side control! - asp.net.web-forms

Server Side Includes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google Cloud Platform simplifies server-side development for iOS w/ ‘Mobile Backend Starter’
... Mobile Backend Starter that first debuted for Android developers back in June. Google says the application helps to simplify the server-side ...

Free Cooling: the Server Side of the Story
Servers that support higher inlet temperatures could significantly reduce or even eliminate the cooling costs of the data center. We received ...

[Update: Check Now] Play Store For Android Gets Search Bar With Hamburger Flip In Server-Side Update
Google is pushing out an update to the Play Store's Android interface that replaces the action bar with a standard search bar. Inside are the ...

Server-side update makes Siri a stickler for succinctness
Siri is already well known for her wit and willingness to joke, but a recent server-side update has given Apple's digital assistant the ability ...

Japanese RIAA wants server-side music DRM for mobile phones
The Recording Industry Association of Japan—the Japanese version of the RIAA— …

New BaaS platform aims to eliminate writing server-side code
... offering for desktop and mobile developers that's now leaving its beta phase. By removing the need for writing code on the server-side, Backendless ...

Dart improves async and server-side performance
... Team Today's release of the Dart SDK version 1.3 includes a 2x performance improvement for asynchronous Dart code combined with server-side ...

Customize Google Using Server-Side Scripts
Google's services have a lot of powerful features, but they can't offer all the options requested by users. A popular way to customize Google ...