Client-Side Validation not working!

I'm really puzzled about this problem.  I'm working on a development server that houses several different sites.  One site utilizes the data tutorials found on this site and client-side validation works like a charm!  However, when I create a dummy site with one page, one form, one form field and one validator - I cant (for the life of me) get client-side validation to work.

My simple page just has this code between the body tags:

<form id="form1" runat="server">
Name:
  <asp:TextBox ID="txtName" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
  <asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="RequiredFieldValidator1" runat="server" ControlToValidate="txtName"
    ErrorMessage="You must type your name!" ValidationGroup="FieldValidator">*</asp:RequiredFieldValidator><br />
  <asp:Button ID="btnSubmit" runat="server" Text="click Here" /><br />
  <asp:ValidationSummary ID="ValidationSummary1" runat="server" ValidationGroup="FieldValidator" />
</form>

The page declaration looks like this:

<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="_Default" %>

 What am I missing??? I'm pulling my hair out b/c the only way I can get this page to work is by putting Page.Validate() in the Page Load in the code-behind (which of course is server-side validation).  Thanks in advance!!

  - Lauren

0
ikeroppi1

Could be wrong here but try adding a

CausesValidation

="true" to your button

AjaxButter

0
AjaxButter
2/27/2007 6:27:34 PM

This didn't work.  =(

Lauren (ikeroppi1)

0
ikeroppi1
Haissam
2/27/2007 6:47:49 PM

Ok.. responding to the first link, I'm running IE 6 and my server is running .NET 2.0 on Win 2003.  I tried deleting the folder entirely and recreating it in IIS as the user suggested.  This did not fix my problem.  I should specify, that I'm not getting ANY validation to occur unless I put Page.Validate() in the code-behind.  The article mentioned that that user could see the client-side error message, but the page was still posting.  My page just posts without the client-side message.

 In response to the second article... I had looked at this earlier today, but when I looked again, I noticed that I hadnt checked the aspnet_client directory.  Not sure what I should be seeing, but my wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\2_0_50727 folder is empty.  However, my folder at the same level for a previous version of 1.1 has three files (SmartNav.htm, smartnav.js and webuivalidation.js).  I tried on the recommendation of this article to copy webuivalidation.js to the root of my application to fix the problem, but it didnt work.

Somehow, I doubt the problem is system wide since another site on this box has working client-side validation... but I could be wrong.  I DID verify (with the aspnet_regiis command) that my site is running 2.0 so that's not the issue.

Still banging my head on the keyboard.... This one has me stumped!

Thanks.

Lauren (ikeroppi)

0
ikeroppi1
2/27/2007 7:43:13 PM

whats the purpose of your validation group and what does it do?

Regards

Karen

-1
Karenros
2/27/2007 8:11:00 PM

I want to put multiple textboxes in the form and I have one ValidationSummary at the bottom of the page that will tell you which required fields are missing when you submit the form.

- Lauren (ikeroppi)

0
ikeroppi1
2/27/2007 8:15:06 PM
u got to specify the validation group for the button too. and then it will work.
0
Karenros
2/27/2007 8:23:39 PM

Wow... I knew that it had to be something I was just overlooking.  Thanks!  This fixed it.

Lauren (ikeroppi)

0
ikeroppi1

Highlighting web form fields on validation error events (client-side)
Have anybody eventualy did that? This is a nice feature when the web form highlights it's input fields and/or lables for that fields if they are not validated (client-side). Unfortunatly, there is no such build-in functionality in ASP.NET 2.0 validation controls. But i'm quite sure that's it's possible to make on your own, what do you think?Perhaps an additional js script shoud be added on the buttom of the page which will redefine one or more functions of original js code.Any comments, thoughts, suggestions?My LinkedIn Profile - ASP.NET C# Ninja | My News Feeds Turned out that it's quite ...

Client-side validation works, but server-side does not.
Hey all,I have got this text box control on my webform, which has two validators.. 1. RegularExpressionValidator and 2. CustomValidator.Now, RegularExpressionValidator control works if I enable client-script. But somehow it does not work for server-side validation. Any idea why this is happening? This happens to another textbox control on other web form as well which has similar coding. So, to enable the validation at present I can only do client-side validation I guess.  1 <TD> 2 <anthem:TextBox id="txtDatePlannedSurgery" CssClass="aspText" Runat="server" AutoCal...

working on a web form how to have two datagrid side by side
curretly started to work with the web developer express, in the form when I am trying to design a form and trying to have two data controls side by side, the later one move under the first one. But what I am trying to accomplish is that I want both of them side by side  for example  "a|a"   here "a" is next to "a" not underneath.  sure there must be lot of help. : )  always learning little things to be big If I understood what you need the solution is simple HTML: <table>       <TR>      &n...

form double validation- server side and client side
Hi! I would like to make a server side validation after calling a js function that makes the client-side validation. I do not understand couple of things: 1. Do i need a server side button or  a simple HTML submit button in order to call both of the tests? 2. How do i call a server side function which is written in csharp  after i finish my JS validation (the submit  button is calling the JS function for validation first.)- is it possible to call it directly from a js function? 3. I know that my toolbox on asp.net  contains validation controls who probably are b...

custom validation control client side validation did not work

.net validators + client-side javascript validation, EnableEventValidation=false
Scenario: 1. I have a DropDownList, with 2 listitems in the .aspx. appenddatabound=true and it is tied to a datasource (via datasourceid), autopostback=false, onchange=checkIfAddNew(this) [this is the client side onchange event]The second option on this dropdown is "Add New", and the checkIfAddNew function pops up a new window and when it returns, it adds the newly created option to the dropdown. In order for this to happen without asp.net getting mad, EnableEventValidation has to be set to false in the Page directive. In addition to this dropdownlist, there is a RequiredFieldValidator...

Client side Validations are not working
Hi all, I have a Registration Page which is used for registering new users. on the Client click of a button "Submit" i have written a javascript code "return Checknull()". CheckNull is a function in javascript externally written in file called MandatoryFields.js. When I run the application. I am getting an exception in the code behind where i have written the code for saving the fields, whenever i just click on the button without entering the details for registering. what could be the Problem. I have given the script tag also... Please help me.  Code or it did...

Client Side Form Validation
What does everyone recommend for client-side form validation? I really like the Validation Application Block in conjunction with the PropertyProxyValidator in Enterprise Library, but that requires an asynchronous postback. Best Regards, Dave  What about the validator controls in Asp.net. You can also use them with AJAX (Validator callout)Vikram www.vikramlakhotia.comPlease mark the answer if it helped you I am using the ASP.NET MVC Framework and need something that does not require server-side controls. Regards, Dave Hi, Based on my understanding, you want to achieve client ...

Client Side Form validation
OK - I agree ASP.net validator controls are way kool. But I don't think they COMPLETELY replace the need for good old-fashioned hand-coded JavaScript client side form level validation. For example, say I have a form with 10 textboxes indicating possible percentage amounts for various elections in a 401K retirement account. The amounts need to add up to 100%, but only 1 box must be filled in, although all ten could be filled in. Thus we do not have a simple must enter scenario, and only with the click of the submit button can we validate that all the numbers do add up to 100%. I see no...

client side validation not working
Hi there,I have this...if (document.getElementById("email2").value != "") {        args.IsValid = true;    }    else {        if ((document.getElementById("firstname2").value != "") && (document.getElementById("lastname2").value != "")) {            alert("Please enter your friend's email.");            a...

Server side validation affecting client side validation
Hi there I have some client side validation that is working fine and enables/disables buttons based on user selections. This works great. However, when I perform server side validation using custom validators (like checking if the user has entered < HTML > tags or decimals in the integer boxes) and the server side validation returns isValid = false then all of the JavaScript validation that I've already done when the user clicked each control is lost. I don't understand why the enabled/disabled state of the control is not maintained.  What is calling the JavaScr...

client side validation vs server side validation
hello  i see a web form that consists of three controls :textbox,requiredfieldvalidator that weired to the textbox and a button within the click event of the button there is the following: if page.isvalid then response.redirect("Page is valid") else response.redirect("Page is not valid") end if according to my understandings: when the user does not fill anything in the textbox and then clicks the button the the page will not be submitted (i.e no request to the page will be happened or no postback will be happened) then no server event will be happened so it is sure when the us...

Shell not working in web form but working with windows forms.
Hi! I want to run some exe files (Exa: Internet explorer) using shell command in asp.net. Its not working if its a web form. But working fine with a windows form. Pls. extend ur help. Thanx. What are you expecting to happen? How are you trying to run the exe files? Where do you expect it to run? Anything run through server side code will run on the server, and in an invisible window, at that. The program will run under the security context of the ASPNET user by default, and so likely will not have the proper authority to do much of what you want, unless you midify its rights...

Server Side Validation vs Client Side Validation
If your page is using client side validation for required fields, expressions, etc.     What are the benefits or disadvantages of using 'extra' server side validation for max lengths, parsing, etc? Both have their Advantages and Disadvantages... so give this a read http://www.dotnetexpertsforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=172 Regards,Vinz"Code, Beer and Music" that's my way of being a programmer!How to get your Forum Question Answered | Blog | CodeASP.NET hi there, advantage: because you are using javascript some browsers for any reason may not sup...

avoiding redundant server-side validation after client-side validation
I see an inaccurate validation behavior on my asp.net (2.0) form. The EnableClientScript property of my validation control is set to True by default, so it performs the validation on clientside. But as soon as this occurs, it also performs the server-side validation, so the page refreshes. When the validation error occurs on clientside, it should not do the validation on serverside (I'm not calling Page.Validate() or doing Page.IsValid). In my past experience, asp.net handled this automatically, but I guess it's not always the ca...

Validation Summary does not work client-side
I've built a Website with ASP.NET 2.0 that contains several validation controls together with a validation summnary control. While the validation controls work client-side the validation summary updates it's content only after a postback. Why this? Is this by design? Any additional properties to set to change this behaviour? sincerely Johannes It could be because of your browser type since ASP.NET 2.0 can reder browser-specific behavior codes.  If not, post your source so that people could check it.  It's difficult to guess without seeing how it's done. Hi Johannes, In order ...

Client-side validation through web service
Hi,I'm trying to write a form to create a new user.  I have a couple ASP custom validators for the login name; one checks if the login name is valid (alphanumeric & correct length), and the other checks if the login name is in use.  Both of these validators make calls to an AJAX web service.  Script code follows:    function isLoginNameInUse(sender, args) {    var loginName = document.getElementById("loginName").value;    Anything.Services.UserService.IsLoginNameInUse(loginName, onUseSuccess, onUseFailure); &n...

Reasons for validation not working on the client side?
Hi there, I'm just starting to tear my hair out. What are the possible reasons for client side validation not working? We have a complex web application, and it only consists of a single main.aspx page which dynamically loads ascx user controls depending on the section. In one of the user controls, the controls are only validate on the server side with postback, as if the client side validation was disabled somehow. What can be causing this? I've been trying to identify the source of the problem but found nothing so far: 1. aspnet_client is there (in the root of the web application) ...

Validation Summary not working on client side
Hi, I have a little problem with a validation summary control, I have a gridview and a detailsview, depending on a selection from another gridview, both of the previous controls should be visible or not, the thing is that when I change from the gridview to the details view and I push the button in order to insert a new record, the validation summary is not working on the details view and the page is posted back,after that, if I push the button again ,the validation works. I have been analising the events but I dont find the explanation of my problem. maybe is related with the view state o...

client side validation for web controls
 Hi, I have an asp.net page with some text boxes and some navigation buttons like ,next, previous, first, last and new buttons( all are .net server controls)  When I click the, say next button, it will save the currents records data, before moving to the new record. The VB code is like this. Protected Sub btnPrev_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles btnPrev.Click, btnNext.Click, btnFirst.Click, btnLast.Click        'Navigation buttons          UpdateFormData()  '...

validation, is it better to have client side or use server side validator controls
 Hi All. I want to do validation on text boxes etc. Is it better to do client side validation or just use the server side validation controls?   Hi!  If for server side controls you mean RequiredFieldValidator, CompareValidator, RegularExpressionValidator, etc.. i can tell you that they use client and server validation. For instance if you use a RequiredFieldValidator, on the client will be a validation, but on the server this condition will be evaluated again. Probably one of the objetives of this is deal with client with javascript disabled. Of course I ...

Web resources about - Client-Side Validation not working! - asp.net.web-forms

Client-side - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Client-side refers to operations that are performed by the client in a client–server relationship in a computer network . Typically, a client ...

Senior Search Manager - Client Side!!
... strategy insight for senior IT management - resources to understand and leverage information technology. Senior Search Manager - Client Side ...

Account Manager - Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!

Media Sales Executive - Client Side!!
Technology news and reviews for business and home.

PPC Paid Search Manager - CLIENT SIDE
Defining Technology for Australia's IT Leaders. PPC Paid Search Manager - SEM - **CLIENT SIDE** Sydney CBD Location Client side!! SEM/PPC/Paid ...

How Basecamp Next got to be so damn fast without using much client-side UI
When we started working on Basecamp Next last year, we had much internal debate about whether we should evolve the existing code base or rewrite ...

Seven Tips for Pitching From the Client's Side of the Table
I had a chance to sit on the other side of the pitch table. Here is what I learned.

Client-side coding: How to prevent malicious use?
Applications that run on a user-controlled device cannot be perfectly protected.

The client side
... regarding the professionals you seek to assist. Even better if you possess that understanding yourself, having worked on the client side. I'm ...

Ecommerce traffic being hijacked by client side malware
According to new research 15 to 30 percent of eCommerce site visitors are infected with Client Side Injected Malware (CSIM) that causes them ...