Building a Control Adapter for the CheckBox control.

Hello all!

I'm currently trying (and failing) to build a Control Adapter to modify how my CheckBox controls are rendered to the page. I don't like the way that by default they render inside a <span> tag. I'd like to change it so that they render inside a label tag.

The good news is: I've managed to make the control render how I'd like; The bad news is: I've completely broken its functionality.

I think the problem is that somehow I've stopped the ASP .NET engine recognising it.

I get the following error:

Server Error in '/Bens' Application.

Invalid postback or callback argument.  Event validation is enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page.  For security purposes, this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate from the server control that originally rendered them.  If the data is valid and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Invalid postback or callback argument.  Event validation is enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page.  For security purposes, this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate from the server control that originally rendered them.  If the data is valid and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.

Does anybody know how I should approach this problem so that the control continues to function as a CheckBox despite my new rendering of it, please?

 For anyone interested in helping me further, I enclose the (abridged) code for the control adapter below: Full code available on request.

 Many thanks

 Ben

1        public class CheckBoxAdapter: System.Web.UI.WebControls.Adapters.WebControlAdapter
2        {
3
4            #region Private member variables
5
6            private CheckBox _control;
7
8            #endregion
9
10           public CheckBoxAdapter()
11           {
12               // Do nothing;
13           }
14
15           public new CheckBox Control
16           {
17               get
18               {
19                   return _control;
20               }
21           }
24           protected override void RenderBeginTag(HtmlTextWriter writer)
25           {
26               if (!String.IsNullOrEmpty(Control.Text))
27               {
28                   if (!String.IsNullOrEmpty(Control.ClientID))
29                   {
30                       writer.AddAttribute(HtmlTextWriterAttribute.For, Control.ClientID);
31                   }
32
33                   AddCssAttributes(writer);
34
35                   writer.RenderBeginTag(HtmlTextWriterTag.Label);
36                   writer.Write(Control.Text);
37                   writer.RenderEndTag();
38               }
39           }
42           protected override void RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter writer)
43           {
44               writer.AddAttribute(HtmlTextWriterAttribute.Type, "checkbox");
45
46               AddAccessibilityAttributes(writer);
47               AddFormControlAttributes(writer);
48
49               if (Control.Checked)
50               {
51                  writer.AddAttribute(HtmlTextWriterAttribute.Checked, "checked");
52               }
53
54               writer.RenderBeginTag(HtmlTextWriterTag.Input);
55           }
58           protected override void RenderEndTag(HtmlTextWriter writer)
59           {
60               // Do nothing
61           }
64           protected override void OnInit(EventArgs e)
65           {
66               _control = (CheckBox)base.Control;
67               _control.Checked = true;
68               //_control.Enabled = false;
69               base.OnInit(e);
70           }
71
72   }

0
BenCh

For those interested, it was quite easy:

protected override void EndRender(HtmlTextWriter writer)

{

Page.ClientScript.RegisterForEventValidation(Control.UniqueID);

base.EndRender(writer);

}

0
BenCh
10/19/2007 2:58:44 PM

 Hi Ben,

 I'm staring at the same problem with a radio button. I'd like to try your class with the registerForEvenrValidation fix on it. However, it doesn't compile since a couple of your methods are missing. I can comment them out, but I'm not sure it is working as it should. Any chance you'd share the whole thing?

Jason

0
jasonhillpdx

Web control in web control

HTML Controls vs Web Form Controls
Hi, I have a page with both controls (HTML and Web Form Controls). I am trying to use an html Calendar control and then get the date selected by the user and put into a Web form input field control. When I try to run this the HTML control cannot talk to the Web form control. Any ideas? Thanks. Can't you put some javascript in the HTML-control with which you assign the value to the ASP.NET Server control? Please post some code so I can help u. Kind Regards,ThaYoung1! Hi here is the Code. Also I added a web form text input control and an html text control and created a fu...

Add .Net Control to Web Custom Control

Web form Controls vs HTML controls
Hi, can anyone explain me the difference between Web Form Controls and HTML controls? What is their usability and disadvantages? Can i write code behind HTML controls?    Thanx in advance. Yes, you just have add "runat=server", in your HTML control. The Web Server Control, have more funtionality that the HTML controls. With Web Server Control, you can work easy with Data. Too, you have controls as AdRotator, WebCalendar and more... : http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/MCP Sergio Tarrillo Here are the Recommendations from Microsoft ....when to use 1 over the other...

web controls and web user control

Use Web Control In a Web Control
Is this possible?I am working with an aspx page that consists of many different web controls.One of the web controls contains search criteria.  One of the criteria is a date range where I am trying to add a popup calendar --> which is another web controlCan I register the popupcaledar control on the questionaire control?  I have tried, but nothing seems to be registered.Any ideas will GREATLY help.Relax and have some Home Brew!Prosecute the Owner - Don't PERSECUTE the Breed!Breed Specific Legislation targets the WRONG end of the LEASH! Without seeing your code we can'...

using a .Net Control as activex control in VCL form
Hi , We have a to integrate a simple .Dot CSharp control which needs to be integrated into bcb2010 VCL form as a control. We will place the control on the VCL form along with other VCL controls's. I tried creating a simple .net control using a lable+textbox and trying to use in vcl form. I have made the assembly comvisible and generated tlb files and .bpl for the component. I could see the component in "ActiveX" tool palette. But when I drag the object onto VCL form and try to access its attributes I run into problems. I am not able to see .net control on the vcl at runti...

Web Form Server Controls Vs. HTML controls
Hi1. What is the difference between Web Form Server controls and HTML controls with runat="server" attribute.e.g. <input type="text" id="mytext" runat="server"> Vs. <asp:TextBox id="mytext" />2. Why we should not use the normal HTML control instead of Server Controls since HTML controls are rendered on client side the performance in using them will be much better that using Web form server controls. Pls. can somebody explain this.- Anand one thing i know. there are much more options for the web controls. and web controls are easier to use than the http controls. for exampl...

Web resources about - Building a Control Adapter for the CheckBox control. - asp.net.web-forms

Auditorium Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... -87.6251722 Coordinates : 41°52′33.95″N 87°37′30.62″W  /  41.8760972°N 87.6251722°W  / 41.8760972; -87.6251722 The Auditorium Building in ...

Home building boom lifts Boral profit 23pc
... Kane said new infrastructure, including major road projects, will drive the Australian economy as resources projects dry up and the home building ...

The ins and outs of planning and building your own home NAS
... ahead and build my own, which would give me the flexibility to build basically whatever box I wanted. Inspired by our recent articles on building ...

Taiwan earthquake: Developer questioned over building collapse
Police in Taiwan are questioning the developer of a building which collapsed in Saturday's earthquake, killing at least 39 people.

Obama wants his presidential library to be like this Seattle building
Denis Hayes had hoped that his Seattle foundation's building, the world-renowned Bullitt Center, would have inspired local real estate developers ...

Building a safer web, for everyone
Today is Safer Internet Day , a moment for technology companies, nonprofit organizations, security firms, and people around the world to focus ...

Amazon Building Global Delivery Business to Take On Alibaba
In recent weeks, speculation has mounted that Amazon.com Inc. plans to launch a global shipping and logistics operation that will compete with ...

8 charts reveal mind-boggling numbers about the monster rocket NASA is building to shuttle astronauts ...
Earlier this month, NASA announced the first mission it will be launching aboard its monster rocket, called the Space Launch System . In 2018, ...

After quake, Taiwan seeks detention of developers of fallen building
More than 40 people killed in the earthquake, with all but two in the actual building collapse; more than 100 still believed to be trapped

Building a website takes tools and skills, here’s how to get both
Leaving your mark on the Internet shouldn’t just extend to the comments section. But to build useful, beautiful things online you need the skillset ...