Asynchronous operation

Hi

I have 2 operations to perform one is to upload data and the second is to generate report. Both take huge time(more than 20 mins and I believe by that time session would have expired) and hence has to be done asynchronously.
For uploading data, user will click start button and the asynchronous operation has to start immediately.
For report generation, user will enter a time when the report has to be generated(weekend date time) and press start button. The asynchronous operation should start only at this designated time.
How can I do the above 2 operations?
Thanks
rjn
0
rjn

Unlike WinForms, async operation with ASP.NET is tricky. Matt Powell of Microsoft showed a way of calling Web services from ASP.NET async,  in an article, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnservice/html/service07222003.asp, it should help for what you are trying to do, his code is slow Web service calls, but his technique can be used for other lengthy calls as well, other than Web services.

WebSql Data Provider, Secure, efficient remote SQL database access over HTTP!

0
Jeff

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

When runnig Web Service asynchronously
When I try to call web service asynchronousIy I am getting exception from CLR: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced. (During VS.NET debugging the exception is wrapped as: Unable to connect to the remote server) When i call the service synchronously it works perfectly.  The service just convert strings to lower case. I'm using .NET Framework 2.0, here is the source code of form to call the service asynchronously:   Imports localhost Partial Class ChangeStrings Inherits System.Web.UI....

.Net Web Form & Web Service Deployment

Web forms and mobile web forms

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

.Net Web Forms
what is the best way to create a multi-page web insurance quote form (similar to Geico) that will insert information into a database? The examples i've seen show one form with a submit button at the bottom. I need to break this form into at least three different aspx or ascx pages. Thanks for the help. I did something similiar since I have like 7 sections to an application. The way I did it was by using the asp:panel control. When the user finished one section and clicks a button it inputs the data into the database and hides the 1st panel and shows the next one. HTH...

Include web form inside web form

Web resources about - Asynchronous operation - asp.net.web-forms

Asynchronous Transfer Mode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and designed to unify telecommunication and computer networks . It was designed for a network that must handle both traditional high-throughput ...

Facebook adds asynchronous voice messages to Messenger app; begins testing VoIP in Canada
Facebook today released an update for its standalone Messenger app to allow users to record and send each other voice messages. The company also ...

Google Dart upgrade homes in on asynchronous programming
Google has released Dart 1.9, with a focus on asynchronous programming.

Decomposing Asynchronous Workers in Ruby
... pieces of our systems, we can potentially come away with new ways to compose the same functionality with multiple smaller pieces. Take asynchronous ...

AMD Dives Deep On Asynchronous Shading
... to reduce display chain latency, and finally features to reduce rendering latency. Key among the latter features set is support for asynchronous ...

Hero Academy brings smart, asynchronous strategy to Android
After a lengthy stay on iOS, Hero Academy is now available for Android. The turn-based strategy game uses a kind of card mechanic mixed with ...

Worms 2: Armageddon Finally Launches Asynchronous Multiplayer Mode
... crusades. The latest update to the sequel to the highly successful Worms finally adds what is understandably its most requested feature: asynchronous ...

Apple patents iPhone camera remote control with display, asynchronous notifications
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday granted Apple a patent for a wireless accessory that can control an iPhone's camera functions, ...

Watch Dogs Asynchronous Multiplayer Trailer Turns This Into A Must-Buy Game
For the first time since I've laid eyes on Watch Dogs the game has finally portrayed itself as a must-buy title. All before now we've seen glimpses ...

Really Simple Asynchronous Web Services
Web services are better suited for the message-oriented communication paradigm, rather than remote procedure calls, the author says.