ADO in VB6 vs ADO.NET in VB.NET

I am writing a database interface and I would like to know whether a
VB6 interface using ADO or a VB.NET interface using ADO.NET would be
faster in terms of just performing database operations. Is there an
explanation for this, and what is the magnitude of the difference?
Thanks in advance!
0
covetous_kid

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

Does .NET map calls for ADO to ADO.NET?
Hello,We are trying to troubleshoot some DB problems from COM objects that call ADO. I heard that when ADO is loaded inside of a COM object by a .NET app, that .NET intercepts the call and re-maps those calls over to ADO.NET. This seems untrue to me, given the nature of ADO.NET being a totally separate technology.Does anyone know for sure whether this does or does not occur?The problem we are seeing is actually almost identical in symptoms to this:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/230101"FIX: Data Queries Sporadically Return Empty Recordsets" Literally, this is what...

ADO.NET VS ADO
Hi I am having ADO.NET course these days. I asked the instructor that developing online system like airline reservation system needs to a connected environment to lock/Unlock the table when u read/write to it Can that be acomplished using ado.net. His answer was no ADO.NET is only for disconnected environment and it will not work with online system and i still should use the old ADO. ADO.NET is not a replacment for ADO and both will continue in paralell. IS his answer true that ADO.NET will not replace ADO and both will continue Regards Check this link. Well ADO.NET is pa...

Hi  My requirement is I hav one csv file with these fields id,mobilenum,messgae,status.intiallu staus is 0. once i read the all fileds and take that mobile number.using tat mobile number  i need to send sms .after sending sms i shuld change status as 1 How to send sms thru coding (please dont provide any links.if it is provide also please give working links becox i checked codeproject .i didnt get any nice link. and also provide the how to update the status field im csv file   Thank ssandhya   To send SMS, you need some third party SMS providers. if you consult them, they will give either an URL or thery will expose some webmethod to send SMS. then in your code, But they will charge for that.  when you call that method  or   response.redirect("that given URL"), then an sms will go.Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him forever. Hello Sandhya, Please check out the links: http://www.gotocode.com/art.asp?art_id=66 http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/SendingSMS.aspx  Regards,Ahmed***************************************************Please don't forget to mark the post as Answer, which helps you.Thank you.www.ahmadtasnim.com Hi,  We have done a similiar implementation in one of the projects. You wont be able to find any built in class for the same in .net ( you may like to have a look at the micorosft exchange server). Rather you will have ...

ado.net or/and datawindow.net
Hi, Can datawindow.net work with Sybase's ado.net or are they not compatible with each other. We have two separate groups of developers, one group develops web apps using ASE as the back end for the data, so they use a combination of Visual Studio ..NET and Sybase's ado.net to do their work. We have another group that develops client/server apps using Powerbuilder, but since 80% of their work is in writting reports using Powerbuilder, I was wondering if they could use a combination of datawindow.net and ado.net to put make these reports available on the web through ...

Insert datetime, using ADO.net VB.net
Hello there,I got a little code there are inserting a record into my msSQL database..But i cant insert the datetime, for one reason?The problem is in line 7 () where i want to insert DateTime.Now 1 Protected Sub SendPmTilAfviste(ByVal modtager As String, ByVal festID As String) 2 ' Connection 3 Dim conn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection("Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\ASPNETDB.MDF;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True") 4 conn.Open() 5 6 ' SQL-kommandoen 7 Dim cm...

ADO.Net technology vs DW.net technology
Hi! We are starting a new development cycle in .Net and we are currently working on the standards we should use in our development. We are studying the possibility to use the Datawindow.Net. My question is: is it a good idea to use the Datawindow all over our new apps? What are the pros and cons of using DW.Net instead of the datasets and databinding in ADO.net? We have been using PowerBuilder since 1996 and use the Datawindow a lot. We now use PB8 and will probably migrate to PB10 or 11 next year. First, some background: We will build our new architecture around business cla...

Hi All Does anyone know where I can get the Sybase drivers for ADO.NET for both versions, 1.1 and 2.0/3.0? Cheers Chris Burrell Hi Chris, There is no release of ASE ADO.NET Provider 2.0 (I assume you refer to ASE provider, not ASA - if ASA please port to sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general). For the 1.1 Provider: It is available in the ASE SDK for windows or the PC Client CDRom included with ASE product. On the SDK its available as 12.5.1 and 15.0 On ASE PC Client I think 12.5.1 is part of ASE 12.5.X and 15.0 is part of ASE 15.X 2.0 provider should release sometime this summer - there is a beta program - look in the sybase.public.connectivity.adonet.beta newsgroup for details -Paul <Chris Burrell> wrote in message news:466ea680.5729.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi All > > Does anyone know where I can get the Sybase drivers for > ADO.NET for both versions, 1.1 and 2.0/3.0? > > Cheers > Chris Burrell ...

ADO.NET table fields pass to a VB.NET variable
Hi, please help, have a ADO.NET code. 1 Dim conn As New Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection 2 Dim sql As New Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand 3 4 conn = New Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection("Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=dbsystematics;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=SARS;Data Source=4G") 5 conn.Open() 6 sql = New Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand("select * from users", conn)   Then i would like to pass the values that the above ADO.NET to a variable.how?please help. JFRBPH12™ You can execute the ...

ADO to ADO.NET
I'm an ASP programmer (VBScript) moving on to ASP.NET. So far I'm using:Microsoft Visual Studio 2003ASP.NET with C#I'm working on converting my code over to C#, from VBScript. Now, here is my code in VBScript (modified to better understand it, this is a edited ugly version):Function ExecuteSQL(sqlStatement)    ConnDriver = "Provider=SQLOLEDB; Data Source = " & dbIP & "; Initial Catalog = " & dbName & "; User Id = " & dbUser & "; Password=" & dbPassword     Set connTemp = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")    connTemp.Open ConnDriver        Set rsTemp = connTemp.Execute(sqlStatement)            Set ExecuteSQL = rsTemp        Set rsTemp = Nothing    Set connTemp = NothingEnd FunctionNow as you can see, this makes it easy for me to execute database connections, which can be done like this:Set rsTemp = ExecuteSQL("SELECT * FROM tablename ORDER BY id DESC")  Do Until rsTemp.EOF = True      Response.Write rsTemp("name")      rsTemp.MoveNext  LoopSet rsTemp = NothingThis code will loop through the database, displaying all the results in descending order. It will write the information from the column named 'name'. That's all well and good, but what I'm experiencing is using ADO.NET isn't as easy or simple as this.So far, I'...

ADO.NET Visual Studio 2005 Install Help!, ADO.NET Missing
 Hi everyoneI have a real annoying problem, I have installed Visual Studio 2005 with C#,C++,Web Applications.. Before I installed VS2005 I made sure I had all the .Net Download from 1.1 to 3.5 with the Service Packs, I also Installed a VS2005 Patch that was around 430mb. I have tried this on 3 computers, two of XP and 1 vista.I need ADO.NET Functionality, When I choose to create a Web Application in C#, I require the ADO.NET Entity Data Model as it will allow for a graphical interaction with a SQL db. However When I Choose Add New Item in Solution explorer there is no ENtity Mode...

Connecting to ASA 9 through network with ADO.NET in VB.NET
Hi, I'm having trouble connecting to an Adaptive Server Anywhere database with the ADO Provider "ASAProv" with client computers. It works perfectly when the application is in the same computer as the database server. But when I try to connect to it from another machine, this machine opens a new ASA Database server and cannot access the database because its being used by the first computer. My connection string is Provider=ASAProv; UID=dba; PWD=sql; ServerName=GUS; DatabaseName=LCMS2; AutoStop=No; DBF=\\Gustavo\DB\LCMS2.DB How can I tell the application to use ASA ...

problems with connections to access via ADO.NET in VS.NET
For anyone familiar with this book, I am having trouble with some code in Chris Payne's "SAMS Teach Yourself ASP.NET in 21 Days", which calls for me to use ADO.NET to connect to an Access database I had to create for the "In Review" project after the second week. The code goes like this (within the first subroutine): dim Conn as new OleDbConnection("Provider= Microsoft.Jet.4.0; Data Source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\TYASPNET\banking.mdb") Now I've tried this, along with setting up a connection through the server explorer in Visual Studio.NET. When I go to run the page, I...

How do I connect to SAW 5.5 with VB.NET/ADO.NET?
I want to connect to a SQL Anywhere 5.5 database running on a W2K Pro server, using VB.NET and ADO.NET. Here's how I connect to MS SQL Server with VB.NET and ADO.NET: gstrADOConnectionString = "Data Source=" & gstrServerName & ";" & _ "Initial Catalog=" & gstrDatabase & ";" & "Integrated Security=SSPI;" & _ "Connect Timeout=" & Convert.ToString(gshoADOConnectTimeout) Example: Data Source=PSI_Dell;Initial Catalog=BRM;Integrated Security=SSPI;Connect Timeout=60 Here's how I did it...

ADO not ADO.NET
Hi, I have to connect to a db using adodb (which i select from the references). I have to retrieve the car models from the database and bind them to a listbox. I am not sure how to proceed and I can't find any articles on ADO with .net and data binding. Here is the code that i tried but it only retrieves the car model for the specified id. If I delete the id it doesn't work. Also it writes the car model in the listbox vertically such as: B M W CODE: Imports System.Data Imports ADODB Imports System.Data.OleDb Public Class listboxADO Inherits System.Web.UI...

VB.NET Standard vs VS.NET Professional
Hello, I've been using the Trail Version of Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition 2003 and I now need to ask my Boss to buy the Full Version. I'm going to be developing ASP.NET Web Applications that are Data-driven with SQL Server 7.0 and 2000. I'm only going to need Visual Basic for coding my applications. My Question is what version of Visual Studio .NET should I buy??? Since I'm only going to be using Visual Basic should I buy Visual Basic .NET Standard 2003???? or stick with Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition 2003 (bearing in mind is about 10x more expensive). Obvio...

Looking for really good books about vb.net 2005 & ado.net
Well, the title says it all. I also need a book about asp.net 2.0, but after reading the board, the answer will be "Professional ASP.NET 2.0", I suppose :).Well, what good books are there about vb.net 2005 & ado.net??? What ever you do, don't waste your money on Professional ASP.Net 2.0 (Wrox).  It was very elementary in its approach and it doesn't go into a lot detail.  I am still researching because I waste money again.  In the meanwhile, you might want to pre-order ASP Unleashed 2005 by Stephen Walther. RyanRyan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThttp://ryano...

ado.net and .net 2.0
Does anyone know if there has been any notable changes to ADO.NET in .NET 2.0 in the areas of data access (both reads and writes) except for the new SqlDataSource and equivalent user controls? Try these links for  tutorials. Hope this helps.http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspnet/doc/data/advanced.aspx#nulls http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql90/html/mandataaccess.aspKind regards,Gift Peddie...

simple web application created in VB.net(VS.Net) will not run
I tried to run the ASP.net samples created by VB.net. But it doesn't run successfully. For example, I copied VB project folder at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\VB\Project. From the web browser I typed http://localhost/VB/Project/Project.aspx Only the text for some LabelControls showed up, not the content Text generated by project.aspx.vb. Does that mean that I didn't set the IIS and ASP.net correct? Can you post the source code for your application. This may make it easier to debug what is going on. Thanks. Glen Kowalski Software Design Engineer / Test Microsoft Corporation This posti...

can not add a record to a db table using the vb.net and ado.net
Hi   I am trying to insert record to Pups Database using ado.net and vb.net in a windows application. This form will collect data from user to insert it into stores table at Pubs database (storeID, name, address etc..). I am not able to get the new inserted record into the stores table here is my coude behind for the formImports System.Data.SqlClient  Public Class ParametersExample Inherits System.Windows.Forms.FormDim con As SqlConnection  Private Sub addBttn_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles addBttn.Click Dim cmd As SqlCommand = ...

ADO vs ADO.NET (Part #1)
Hey,For some reason I am having trouble figuring out how to do things using ADO.NET. I will write out sample code to perform a simple operation and if someone is so kind would you give me the .NET equivilent. I have a few books but they are not doing a very good job of teaching me and each book uses its own method.... I loved how simple ADO was.. sucks they had to go and change every detail of it for .NET (although I do like the fact there is not a persistant database connection)Classic ASP ADO CodeTake into consideration that strCon already has the connection string definedDim adoConDim ado...

C#.NET in VS.NET vs. C# in Web Matrix
Hi all, I am very new to .NET ... I realized C#.NET is only available from Visual Studio.NET ... however, I realized Web Matrix also allowed us to choose C# as language but not C#.NET ... they are not the same, right? If not, then why it's in Web Matrix which runs ASP.NET?? If I need to run C#.Net, I MUST GET VS.NET, right? Can C#.NET has the abality to create chat program? Thank you very much. C#.NET and C# are the same thing. JimMS MVP ASP.NET [VC++/MFC emeritus]Old Dog Learns New TricksPreferred programming language: cuneiform on clay tablets So ... that means I can use web matrix to create C#.NET web application? Hi, yes you can. C# and C#.NET are the same languages. Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons....

How to deploy a VS.VB net project to websever withour VS.net
The VB app is developed on VS.net professional. I plan to deploy it on a web server that doesn't have VS.net. Would the code behind files cause problems? Should I compile the app and deploy the assembly only? I'd appreciate some quickstart tips on how to deploy a VS.net VB project to websever withour VS.net. Thanks. Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer" The only thing you would need to do is compile the project and push the .aspx files and the bin folder to the server, and of course any other sub-folders that are used in your app like images. The...

Web resources about - ADO in VB6 vs ADO.NET in VB.NET - asp.net.web-forms

ADO Den Haag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[ˈɑ.ləs doːr ˈu.fə.nɪŋ dɛn ˈɦaːχ] ), commonly known by the abbreviated name ADO Den Haag [ˈaː.do dɛn ˈɦaːχ] , is a Dutch football club from the ...

David Tennant and Catherine Tate star in Much Ado About Nothing - Available now from Digital Theatre ...
Watch online or download the full show to your desktop now at http://www.digitaltheatre.com. David Tennant and Catherine Tate appear together ...

Joss Whedon Much Ado About Nothing Twitter
Joss Whedon delivers a Shakespearean trailer, Twitter joy and cannibalism all in one day

Much Ado About Nothing
... modern-day reading of Shakespeare's romantic comedy, filmed in his own home with a cast comprised of alumni from his TV shows. Rate Much Ado ...

Canberra Repertory Society gives Much Ado about Nothing a 1920s twist
Shakespeare's reworked comedy transcends the ages with ease.

CBC Digital Archives - Much Ado About Christmas: Toys, Traditions & Fun - Lighthouse Santa
Relive Canada's history through CBC Radio and Television. This free site features thousands of radio and television clips from the archives of ...

Much Ado About Dacheng Dentons
Dentons’ loosely affiliated verein style likely played a large role in capturing the largest Chinese law firm.

Much Ado About...
Kerfuffle: A social imbroglio or brouhaha.

Much Ado About Smart Tags
Microsoft's proprietary Smart Tags: Boon or bane? Kaminski digs deep beneath the hype and paranoia in an extensive assessment of what Microsoft ...

A Guantanamo Tour: 'Much Ado About Nothing'?
In vivid detail, Jason Leopold describes daily life for both the detainees and guards at the facility.