Access SqlDataSource on Web Form from a Web User Control...

Hello,

I want to access a SqlDataSource on a Web Form fromout. a Web User Control. To do this, I have in my code behind of the Web User Control the folowing code:

DropDownList1.DataSource = (

this.Page.FindControl("SqlDataSource3") as SqlDataSource);
DropDownList1.DataTextField =
"Name;
DropDownList1.DataValueField =
"NameID
ropDownList1.DataBind();

But, the control (ic. SqlDataSource3) is not found. Even other controls like labels and buttons are not found with the FindControl.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Andromedaris

0
Andromedaris

This is not much of a surprise, because the FindControl method doesn't recurse the tree looking for the control. Typically, the Page only has a couple of controls on it, because all the normal controls are in the form element that is a child of the Page.

I wouldn't use FindControl to do this.

I would either create a property on my user control (for the data source) and set the property value from code behind on the page, or I would implement an interface (that I would write) on the page which had a method or property that returned a reference to the data source. The user control code would then cast the Page reference to the interface type, and then call the method/property.

Either of these approaches avoid the use of FindControl, and decrease the coupling between page and user control, which means that changing one will hopefully avoid having to change the other).

Regards

Dave
0
DMW
2/14/2007 8:24:16 AM

Hi!,

While using user control, u should use FindControl for the userControl rather than using findcontrol of the page,

this.WebUserControl1.FindControl("Your control")

Where  WebUserControl1 is the id of the user control.

Hope this will help.

Regards
0
kakali
2/14/2007 11:24:48 AM
Thanks Dave!
0
Andromedaris

Access a Web User Control Method from a Web Form
I'm trying to pass the Selected Index value from a web user control in a web form to the user controls selectedIndexchanged Sub.  I can't seem to figure out how to pass the information that I need to the user control and have it execute the sub routine. In the SelectedInedxChanged Sub I have a switch Statement and I want to get the index value from the web form where the user control is located and compare it to each case and then to have it execute the code for the case that it matches. What do I need to do? Hi, I am not sure if I understood your question correctly. I su...

Web Form and Web User Control
Hello, I have a Web User Control (ascx) that includes a button. This button has an onclick event method. This Web User control is included into a Web Form. (thru LoadControl). However, when I click on the button, the event method is not executed. What should I include in order it works fine? Thanks in advance. GAA. Using Loadcontrol is using dynamic controls and when using dynamic controls you must recreate the same dynamic controls ono postback to econstruct the page control tree. It is best if you do this during the Page PreInit event. How complex are your controls ...

custom web user control and web form

Web User Control Not rendering in Web Form
I have created a Web User control that is made up of a Multiview with 2 views inside the Multiview. I have buttons on both views and a gridview on 1 view. My question is when I drop this Web User Control on a Web Form all I see is [MultiView"MultiView1"] and when I view the from in the browser I dont see the Web User Control. I was wondering if someone could please tell me why the Web User Control is not displaying or rendering.     Thanks In Advance Hi, Please check your aspx file for correct reference, like following example: TestControl.ascx:<%@ Control ...

web web web

Web forms and mobile web forms

validate Textbox in Web User Control from web form?
ASP.NET 2.0 I have a web user control that contains a textbox.  I need to add some validation (like requiredfieldvalidator, comparevalidator, etc). I would normally add the validator to my web user control by placing the validator next to my textbox.  However, I need the validation message somewhere else on my web form, not near the user control. So how would I associate a validation control on my web form with the text box inside my web user control?  Can this be done; any alternatives out there? Thanks!   The error message should occur wherever you place the vali...

Pass data from Web User Control to Web Form
I have a Web Form that contains a Web User Control. The WUC displays dynamic content. I want to change the TITLE property of the Web Form, based on the contents of the WUC. For example, if the WUC displays information about Horses, I want to change the page title to "HORSES" by passing the string to the parent Web Form. I have tried playing with parameters and such, but I can't remember how I did this in the past. PLEASE HELP!~o0 Spin-Monkey Oo~ The best way to do this is by creating a public property on your web user control and accessing that from your web form. Check ...

Interaction between Web User Control & Web form
Ok, I want to create my first Web User Control which is used for file uploading. It's very simple, consist only of the <asp:FileUpload> and <asp:Button> control. The button has one server side event which is resizing the uploaded image to two different images (stored as byte[] in the cs file). So, my question is how I can send these two arrays of type byte to the Web form where the web user control is inside. I thought it should be possible to write something like this in the Web form:<uc1:FileUploader ID="uploader" runat="server" OnUploaded="recieveImages" />So that means ...

Web resources about - Access SqlDataSource on Web Form from a Web User Control... - asp.net.web-forms

Latest Updates
Latest Updates - Free source code and tutorials for Software developers and Architects.; Updated: 15 Feb 2013

Using The LINQDataSource
-*+There is a new datasource control available in Visual Studio that works in much the same way as the SQLDataSource and the ObjectDataSource. ...

moredotnet
M ore d otnet .NET Interview Questions, ASP.NET, C#, VB.NET, XML, SQL Check Out http://www.dotnetUncle.com √ .NET NOTES OOPS in .NET .NET ...

Architectural Overview of the Windows Presentation Foundation Beta 1 Release
Introduction Windows Presentation Foundation Beta 1 Windows Integration New Features WinFX SDK Exploring the New Features Introducing "Express" ...

About Mikesdotnetting
I started this site as somewhere to store answers to bits and pieces that I see asked frequently in the forums at www.asp.net . Rather than type ...

Using MiniProfiler with SqlDataSource ASP.NET WebForms Control
public class ProfiledSqlDataSource : SqlDataSource{ protected override DbProviderFactory GetDbProviderFactory() { // get the "base" DbProviderFactory ...

ASP.NET Pivot Table - RadPivotGrid for ASP.NET AJAX
... reports. RadPivotGrid allows easy customization of all data reports. Try now! Use any declarative data source control (AccessDataSource, SqlDataSource, ...

Sign on
Sign On • Join • Forums Home User Name * Password * Remember me next time ( I forgot my password ) SUBMIT YOUR WTF Content Random Article All ...

ComboBox Sample
ComboBox is an ASP.NET AJAX control that, like the AutoCompleteExtender , combines the flexibility of a TextBox with a list of options that users ...