DO I buy visual studio 2008 professional or just Use the Free Visual Web developer Express

I want to develop a website from scratch but will like to know if I should use the free visual web developer express 2008 or buy the visual studio 2008 professional. What does the Visual studio professional offer more than the free version(visual web developer express 2008).

 ps. I have tried to make numerous search on the difference but couldn't find one. I need clear and conscise information about the differences. I just want to be sure if I really need to purchase the professional or just use the free version.

 Also if I use the visual web developer express now can I easily change later in the future if need be... on the scalability of work done. I want to create a website that has many functionality and open to more if need be.

0
linkyossy

You will have less control by default. Still you can create a web page. You need to do in using grid view list view

Thanks
Hari

My Site
0
hariram
3/28/2009 4:01:50 AM

Here is an exhaustive comparison of Visual Studio Products.

Visual Web Dev is pretty powerful in its own right. Couple that with SQL Server 2008 Express and either Visual Basic 2008 Express or Visual C# 2008 Express and you have a very nice platform...and all for free!

I use Visual Studio 2008 Standard (less expensive than the Pro version) and VWDExpress, and I also use Expression Web2. And have found that they work nicely together. Expression Web's strong suit is the layout/design-side of web development. It's a nice app, too.

The bottom line, I suppose, is where you see your development work headed, down the road. Still, the VS Express apps are a great way to get started with VS products, and again, you can't beat the price.

-Preston

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA USA
0
Preston
3/28/2009 5:41:59 AM

linkyossy:

I want to develop a website from scratch but will like to know if I should use the free visual web developer express 2008 or buy the visual studio 2008 professional. What does the Visual studio professional offer more than the free version(visual web developer express 2008).

 ps. I have tried to make numerous search on the difference but couldn't find one. I need clear and conscise information about the differences. I just want to be sure if I really need to purchase the professional or just use the free version.

 Also if I use the visual web developer express now can I easily change later in the future if need be... on the scalability of work done. I want to create a website that has many functionality and open to more if need be.

Obviiously Visual Studio Professional And Team Suite are better than the Web Developer express you can download the trial and try out your self

Refer here for comparision and trial download

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx

MVP ASP/ASP.Net
MVP ASP/ASP.Net
mudassarkhan
3/28/2009 5:51:31 AM

Like you, I recently faced that decision.  For me, I decided to buy the Professional version of VS.  The deciding factors for me, were many of the tutorials I found online made reference to templates that don't exist in the express versions.  I suppose if one is a proficient and experienced developer, they can create their own templates.  Being new to VS and developing, this counted me out.

Aside from a rich collection of templates, the pro version offers macros and debug tools not found in the express version.  There are many other differences, but these were the deciding factors for me.  I'm very happy with my choice.

Good luck

Sherri

0
chipwitch
3/28/2009 4:46:18 PM

 I have just renewed my MSDN Premim Pro subscription (year 3 of 3)  to keep my use VS2008 Pro going.

 I have not used the test features of VS2008 Pro (as I use NUnit) and the only items I miss from Team version is integrated FXCOP and Code Coverage.

TATWORTH

Visual Studion Express 2008 SP1, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and Web Application Project Template
Hi All, I installed Visual Web Developer Express 2008 sp1 on my two machines, one running Vista & other running XP. On the XP machine, when I open VWD Express 2008 I get an option to use Web Application project template as a new project option but on my Vista machine I only get an option to use Web site model template option. My question is, is the sp1 incompatible with vista? Any help or explanation would be appreciated   Thanks SP1 is compatible with vista.  I would try devenv.exe /installvstemplates to see if you could force vwd to see the other project types otherwise ...

How to use Visual Web Developper 2008 Express Edition with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition for n-tier development
Can these products be bundled when working in a n-tier project? What are the best practise methods? Or is moving to Visual Studio 2008 Standard Editon the solution? In most cases you will find all you need is in VWD 2008, If you install SP1 then you can compile class libraries now as well, so less need for c#2008. Also you might find this good to read http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=416 Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That way future readers will know which post solve...

I cannot use SQL Server 2008 Express with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a  New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I ...

Visual Studio 2008 -or- Visual Web Developer Express 2008 -or- SharePoint Designer / Etc.
It's been a while since I actively designed in dot net.  Now it's time to do some serious updating to our website (from dot net 1.1 to 3.5).  I haven't used any of the new design tools but want to be able to take complete advantage of all the new features of v3.5 and the features of development applications. What are the differences between Visual Studio 2008 / Visual Web Developer Express 2008 / SharePoint Designer / Etc. and are there any others I should consider for development?  I just want to settle on a development platform so I can start moving forward...

Which is best for web pages
Which is best to buy to develop aspx web pages. Visual Studio 2008 or Visual web developer 2008? http://forums.asp.net/p/1137916/1824119.aspx#1824119http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx We All move to our original place.Don't forget.Imran Baloch Visual Web Developer of course, because it's free!! visual web developer is build into visual studio. in the free copys the desktop apps and websites are two diffrent pages. if all you are looking to do is to make a page you can download your app on make an install file and host it somwhere. ...

Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions , Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express
Newbie questions....    What is the difference between all this products, i understand now all of them are free of charge, my intention is to build a website, then i do not know if    Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express,  are independent produckts or just some kind of adds to  the last oneI have downloaded visual web developer 2005, and the starter kit, is this all that i need starting to work building my pages or am i missing something else? See the Express Products column in the Visual Studio 2005 Product Lin...

Visual Studio 2008 or visaul web developer express 2008?
Hi  Currently I am using the free visual web developer express 2008 software for developng asp.net and c# applications. Is there any advantages of upgrading to visual studio 2008? cheers Have a look here: http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspxThanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Using visual sourcesafe 2005 with visual web developer 2008 express
Does anyone know if visual web developer 2008 express edition has the option to integrate with visual sourcesafe 2005 or is the option only available for the full version of Visual Studio 2008? I couldn't find the option for source control in the express edition. Thanks in advance. Im afraid you will need to update this is one of the cut downs from the full version.Pushing out shapes, to a popular beat combo. Express editions are not expensible and do not provide integration with source code control system.Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This po...

Migrate Visual Web Developement 2008 Express application to Visual Studio 2005
Can some body guide on how to migrate existing application build on Vweb dev Express 2008 to Visual Studio 2005.   Thank you     I don't think there's a general way to do this; it all depends on if you are using .NET 3.5 stuff. Why would you want to go backward?  BruceDiscountASP.NET: Developer Ready ASP.NET Web Hosting- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner- Voted 2008, 2007, 2006 & 2005 Best ASP.NET Web Hosting by asp.netPRO Magazine I am using. Net 3.5. Express was a free version but my company has 2005 license, that's the way i am taking...

Error: 25
I am in VWD and went to Database Explorer to "Add Connection" to a .mdf File located on another PC on the network.  I see the following: 1) Data Source: Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)2) Server Name: \\ComputerName3) Log on to the Server: Use SQL Server Authentication4) Connect to a database: Attach a Database File: \\Computename\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdf5) Logical Name: [Left Blank]6) Advanced Tab: [No Changes]7) Clicked the Button: "Test Connection" Receive this Error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting ...

Visual Studio 2008 web developer express
Hi,I have a page using a master page.  For some reason, it doesn't recognize the CSS styles included in the master page.  Does anyone know a workaround for this?  Thanks a million.  This is a known bug in Beta 2, it is fixed in the final release (not available for download yet).Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Thanks!  I will look forward for the final release.  Do you know when it will be available?...

letting users who visit a website add records to a sql server database using visual studio web developer express edition 2008
in visual studio web developer express edition 2008 i added a new item this was a sql server database which i called test2. I added a table called comments, and the fields name, email, comments, IPAddress, and Date and in my comments.aspx page i added a name textbox, a texbox for email, a textbox for comments and the submit button i double clicked on the submit button and added the following code  Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click        Dim mydS As New SqlDataSource   ...

Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
Hi, Is it possible to integrate a Web Deployment Project into a VWD 2008 Express solution?  I installed WebDeploymentSetup.msi but my VWD 2008 Express solution won't load the Web Deployment project.  If it is not possible to do this, is there a workaround such that I can 'mimic' the functionaity of the Web Deployment Project using only VWD 2008 Express?  My basic problem right now is that my VWD 2008 Express solution is capable of building all the standard projects it contains into .dll's, but the Web Deployment project is not loaded and therefore can't ...

Web resources about - DO I buy visual studio 2008 professional or just Use the Free Visual Web developer Express - asp.net.web-dev-2008-express

Professional - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In narrow usage, not all expertise is considered a profession. Although sometimes referred to as professions, occupations such as skilled construction ...

London Olympic Games near miss inspires Canberra boxer to fulfill professional dream
One lousy point was all that stopped Canberra boxer Dave Toussaint from fulfilling his Olympic Games dream.

Silicon Valley professionals take LSD to boost productivity
Coffee may be your mind-sharpening tool of choice, but some of Silicon Valley's brightest brains are relying on something substantially stronger ...

Professional lawn decorators light homes for the holidays, for a price
A company in Windsor, Ont., is helping some people have a front yard to rival Clark W. Griswold's without any of the work.

A Bold and Textured Bachelor Pad — Professional Project
Pin it Project by: Denise Wilson Location: New York, New York Now this is how you do texture! From the walls, to the rugs, to the pillows there ...

Engaging with your professional network is now easier with LinkedIn for iOS
Back in October, LinkedIn previewed a major redesign of its flagship mobile app. Now, the professional networking company has officially released ...

What Not to Wear to a Professional Photo Shoot
When it comes to a professional photo shoot, there are certain recommendations that you should follow in terms of what you should wear, especially ...

Women in Professional Sports
by wj A few days ago, the Economist had a post on their Game Theory blog entitled Playing with Pink Balls. The thumbnail photo (and it really ...

American Airlines Loses Professional Dancer’s $250K Prosthetic Leg, Finds It In Another Country
If you thought the airline losing your suitcase of souvenirs was rough, imagine if they lost a bag with your prosthetic leg. That’s apparently ...

Adobe bows to HTML5 and renames its Flash Professional app
Given that Flash is widely considered an internet blight, it's hard to imagine a time when it was actually cool. But in the day, the app was ...