Web site with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express

I am very new to .NET so please bare with me.  I am in a web
development college course and we are doing are web application in
ASP.NET using C#.  One of my group members came across Visual Web
Developer 2005 Express and showed us how easy it makes making a web
page with login features. I was looking at the FAQ for VWD 2005 Express
here:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/faq/default.aspx#vwd

and it has this question:

Can I build and deploy applications using the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 1?

No. During the Beta 1 timeframe we want customers to experiment, evaluate and learn with the tool, but sites cannot be used for any public or production purposes. At Beta 2 Microsoft will likely provide a “Go-live license” that will enable developers to put sites into production.

I'm not exactly sure what this is saying because using VWD 2005 Express I am able run and view my web page in a browser through a localhost.  So is it saying that we won't be able to run our web application made with VWD 2005 Express on a web server?  For our web development class we have to make a web page using a database(we are using sql server) and run it on our own web server.
0
asianvato

You are not allowed to deploy apps written with Beta 1. You have to wait for Beta 2 (Will be released soon). When beta 2 is released you need to request a Go-live license before you can go live with a app written with Beta 2. More information about htis will be out very soon.

/Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitter

Microsoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCT

ASPInsiders
My Blog
0
Fredrik
3/30/2005 5:44:16 AM
Thanks for your reply. I am still a little confused.  I scanned
through every post in this forum and I read some posts where it sounded
like through IIS you could run your web app made in VWD 2005 Express
and access it through the internet.  Are you saying that with VWD
2005 Express the only way you can view your web app is on a local
machine? There is no way to view it over the internet?
0
asianvato
3/30/2005 5:41:26 PM

Hello.

What Fredik is saying is there's no go live license for applications built with pre-beta 2 versions (btw, beta 2 isn't available yet).  So you can configure IIS to point to your site but you can't use asp.net 2 to build a "public" application.

--
Regards,
Luis Abreu
email: labreu_at_gmail.com
EN blog:http://msmvps.com/blogs/luisabreu
0
Luis
3/30/2005 8:43:38 PM
Luis, thanks a lot for your reply. I am sorry but I am new all this
terminology.  When you say that you can't make a "public"
application are you saying there is absolutely no way to view a web app
made with VWD 2005 Express over the internet? Thanks again.
0
asianvato
3/30/2005 9:26:13 PM
You must check this with your tutor as it is possible using Visual Web Developer would invalidate your assignment, and besides you will be very glad if you learn ASP.NET's fantastic data access features in code anyway. Armed with just Notepad and these forums you have the power of Visual Web Developer in your fingers! Yes [Y]

Q. Could a site built with BETA 1 work over the Internet and be available to the public?

A. Yes

~~~~~~~~~~~ I~M~P~O~R~T~A~N~T~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q. Am I allowed to make a site built with BETA 1 available outside my development/ testing environment?

A. No! This would infringe your agreement [made with Microsoft by using VWD BETA 1] and be illegal in most developed countries!

~~~~~~~~~~~ I~M~P~O~R~T~A~N~T~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a~l~e~x
0
alexdski
3/30/2005 10:38:23 PM

														alexdski,
    Thanks a lot for your reply.  That really clears it up for me.  I guess my group will just have to use .net 2003. Damn!
0
asianvato

Download Visual Web Developer 2005 Express or Visual Basic 2005 Express?
Hi,I'm a programmer with a 4 year degree in computer science. I have been programming in some sort for 25 years. I have done VB (several years ago), Delphi (last done several years ago), and currently do some Acess programming every other month along with Perl about every month. I have never done any web page programming other than straight html (since 1996). My boss just asked me to look into learning ASP. We have a completed ASP project for a customer and our current vendor is too busy to update it. I would be the one doing minor changes and doing the next major phase.  So should I ...

Deploying a web site from Visual Web developer 2005 Express edition
Does anyone know how to deploy a web site from Visual Web Developer 2005 Express edition?...

Web Site Administration Tool in Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Additon
I am having trouble creating a user when using the Web Site Administration Tool.  I have used the security tab to set up the rolse for managers and members.  However, when I try to create a user it fails with a "Please enter a different password" error. I tried different user ids and different passwords with no luck. Would appreciate any help. Thanks, JJ I found the answer in another posting. your password should also contain atleaset one NON alpha numeric like - '!', '@' , '%' character. VishalThanks Vishal, that works.  I used "_"JJ Here's a way to change that if you...

How to implement mobile web site by using visual web developer 2005 express?
May i using visual web developer 2005 express edition to implement my mobile web site? is there any emulators provided?  You can implement a mobile site by using the mobile content controls, these generate device specific html / wap etc. however you'll need to download a separate emulator for your device. I have successfully used Openwave in the past.  Yes you can.  The necessary bits are in the framework itself.  I have a project template posted on my blog that will get you started.  You can also just start a new web site and add the necessary bits to ...

Visual Web Dev 2005 Express & SQL 2005 Express
Last week I downloaded and installed Vis Web Dev Express 2005 and have it running absolutely fine.  2 days later I downloaded the most recent SQL Server Express but when I try to install it, I get a message saying it has "detected incompatible beta components fromVisual Studio or SQL Server" and that I must "run the build clean up wizard from the cd."  Since I downloaded both parts I dont have a cd.  I dont particularly want to uninstall webdev express because the download was so slow the first time and it doesn't leave an install file for reinstallation.  What's my best ...

Can not open Security Page of Web site Administration tool in visual web developer 2005 express
Hi, I cannot open the security page of   Web site Administration tool in visual web developer 2005 express.When i click on security tab it gives  the following error.Also i am getting the same error message when I click on Add New Item ->Sql Database-> and click ADD. "There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store. The fo...

How to Create a Simple Web Form for Go Daddy hosted site from Visual Web Dev 2005 Express Edition
I have spent all weekend trying to make my simple form mail WORK.  And now, much forum hunting and Go Daddy calling later, I want to post what I have learned, hoping to save another newbie a loooooong weekend.  So here goes:1) If you don't have one already, create an e-mail account at Go Daddy.  It will take about 15 minutes to become active.  Write down your user id and password, then forge ahead with the rest of this.  It will take you less than an hour, depending on how detailed your form is.2) Create your form in MS VWD 2005 X ed using the Wizard tool...

The web site credated by beta 2 can not be run at Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,why?
The web site credated by beta 2 can not be run at Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,why? I have created a web with Visual Web Developer 2005 beta 2, and add three user using the tool ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool. now I install the final Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,but I find my web site can not be run in the final edition, when I try to login into system using Login control, I get the error 1 below: //--------------------------------------error 1--------------------------------------------------------Server Error in '/onlinebookmark' Application. Pr...

VS.NET 2005 & Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I'm currently working on VWD using C#, and i'm planning to study MCTS, so i'm wondering if there's major differences between both in Web field.Thank you aloti need a creative atmosphere Not for what you're doing.JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Web Matrix
Hello, I am using Web Matrix with Microsoft SQL 2000 to build web sites in ASP.NET 1.1 / VB. I need to keep using Web Matrix with Microsoft SQL 2000. Can I install the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express? I would use Web Matrix with Microsoft SQL 2000 to work as I usually do. At same time I would get used to Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition. Thank You, Miguel VWD can coexists with Web Matrix. I am not sure, however, if SQL 2005 can run on the same box with SQL 2000. You do can, however, use VWD with SQL 2000.Thanks------...

Web Matrix vs Visual Web Developer Express 2005
I recently applied to a job and without knowing it it turned out to be a ASP job but my background is Java. The interviewer mentioned Web Matrix as to how she learned ASP which is great but it seems everything is ASP.net which is fine but Web Matrix apparently isn't compatible with ASP.net 2.0. If I'm trying to learn ASP.net should I used Web Matrix or Visual Web Developer Express? ASP.NET 1.1 -> Web MatrixASP.NET 2.0 -> Web DeveloperRegards, Narayana Rao Surapaneni Architect | Author | MCSD for .NET | MCSD | SCJP www.msdeveloper.info ...

Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions , Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express
Newbie questions....    What is the difference between all this products, i understand now all of them are free of charge, my intention is to build a website, then i do not know if    Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express,  are independent produckts or just some kind of adds to  the last oneI have downloaded visual web developer 2005, and the starter kit, is this all that i need starting to work building my pages or am i missing something else? See the Express Products column in the Visual Studio 2005 Product Lin...

Web resources about - Web site with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express - asp.net.web-dev-2005-express

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Pixel (game developer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amaya's other work includes the game Ikachan which he released in 2000, as well as many other low-profile games. He is currently developing a ...

Apple announces it will discontinue iAd App Network for developers on June 30th
On its developer news blog, Apple has announced that it is closing the iAd App Network on June 30th. Targeted at smaller publishers, the iAd ...

How malware developers could bypass Mac’s Gatekeeper without really trying
(credit: Patrick Wardle) In September, Ars reported a drop-dead simple exploit that completely bypassed an OS X security feature known as Gatekeeper ...

How dying baby salmon inspired these developers to build a better building for Tableau
When they go to work in their new Seattle office building in 2017, Tableau Software (NYSE: DATA) employees who commute by bicycle will be able ...

Create promo codes for your apps and in-app products in the Google Play Developer Console
Posted by Yoshi Tamura, Product Manager, Google Play Over the past six months, a number of new tools in the Google Play Developer Console have ...

Bitcoin has 'failed,' says one of its most prominent developers
A disillusioned high-profile developer has quit bitcoin — claiming in an explosive blog post that the "experiment ... has failed." Mike Hearn ...

Offshore Wind Developers Convinced Of UK Government Support
Offshore wind energy developers DONG Energy and Vattenfall are both “optimistic” that the UK Government will back offshore wind farms. According ...

Microsoft offers developers free tools for its R programming language software
Microsoft is giving developers and students a free crack at its new server software for the R programming language. [ Want to learn R? Download ...

Watch app developer won’t sleep until vets with PTSD can
A watch app developed by the son of an Iraq war veteran could help veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder finally get good sleep.