web site or web application

Hi,

 i read there are two types of asp.net project: web application and web site.

In VS 2005, there is the choice between:

File -> New Web Site
and
File -> New Project -> VB/C# -> Web Application

My questions are:

1) what's the difference between both? (i compile my whole project with aspnet_compiler: do i create a web site or web application?)

2) in VWD, i only can see: File -> New website and New -> File

So how to create a web application with VWD?

Thanks

Tartuffe

0
tartuffe2

The Web application projects model was designed to provide developers with a project model that more closely resembles the project model for Visual Studio .NET 2003 applications and still makes available all the new features of Visual Studio 2005 and of ASP.NET version 2.0. The new Web application project type does not replace the Web site project type introduced in Visual Studio 2005. Instead, it is an alternative project type that you might choose depending on your requirements and your preferred development workflow.

 follow this thread for more details :http://forums.asp.net/t/1164387.aspx

And to be able to use Web application project you need to install the Visual Studio Add-in from here http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/Aa336618.aspx

Hosam Kamel

Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you
0
HosamKamel
10/10/2007 7:47:40 PM

Thanks for your explanation

0
tartuffe2

Web Site to Web Application 2005 and Web References
I'm trying to convert a VS 2005 Web Site  Project to a VS 2005 Web Application Project, I have followed http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx, which works fine for most objects but it does not convert the Web References.I can add them manually, however I need to ensure that the Web Reference Name is the same for all my Web Services, this is to ensure that I can used Shared Types.  The problem is on VS 2005 Web Application it renames the Web Reference Name to Localhost1, localhost2 etc. Any ideas how I can get over this?Regards <<<Bryan...

web web web

Encrypt web application/ web site (all web pages)
Hello, I want to encrypt (secure) the whole web site when it is deployed on a remote server. Is there a way in ASP.NET 2.0 / IIS / 3rd party tool to encrypt all web pages that will render it useless for a competitor if they get it?I did look up this forum and google and did not find anything (though I will keep looking). Please respond if you know anything about it. Thanks,vp Please click "Mark as Answer" if you think this post answers your question Yes and no.  First, you can't encrypt web pages.  Those are HTML and displayed in the client's brow...

Creating Web Service
Hello everyone, I am creating a new web service, and was wondering what you all thought the advantages and disadvantages of creating it using a Web Site vs using a Web Application Project...thoughts?  Is one better than the other in terms of deployment?  Is one better for development and debugging? Thanks! Hi d_helland, To understand which one is prefer to your situation, please read the following two articles. What's New in Web Projectshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f7fb46ye(VS.80).aspx Introduction to Web Application Projectshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en...

Web services added as web applications are being converted to web sites
We have a somewhat large solution that we are converting from VS.NET 2003 to 2005 (using web application projects).The conversion has been going very well until recently.  Basically, one of the other developers converted a number of web services to 2005 web services as web applications.  When he loads the solution that contains these projects, it loads and builds fine. Other developers can load the solution successfully and build as well.  When I try to load this solution, VS.NET 2005 checks out the .sln file as well as all of the folders these web service projects reside in.&...

How to Create a Simple Web Form for Go Daddy hosted site from Visual Web Dev 2005 Express Edition
I have spent all weekend trying to make my simple form mail WORK.  And now, much forum hunting and Go Daddy calling later, I want to post what I have learned, hoping to save another newbie a loooooong weekend.  So here goes:1) If you don't have one already, create an e-mail account at Go Daddy.  It will take about 15 minutes to become active.  Write down your user id and password, then forge ahead with the rest of this.  It will take you less than an hour, depending on how detailed your form is.2) Create your form in MS VWD 2005 X ed using the Wizard tool...

Converting a VS 2005 Web Application to a VS .NET 2003 Web Application
Well it seems that I am going against the stream here, but one of our clients wants the web application I wrote in Visual Studio 2005 to be deployed using Visual Studio .NET 2003. What's the best way to go about this without rewriting the whole dang thing? I would probably create a new 2003 project, copy all of your aspx and other files into it, attempt a build and see what happens.  If you didn't use a lot of the new controls (like membership, personalization, masterpages etc, then you will probably be ok with just minor changes.  If you did rely on a lot of the newer c...

Migrating 2005 AJAX-Enabled Web Site to 2005 SP1 Web Application Project
Maybe I had a poor subject line in my last post.  Maybe I am too impatient, but this stuff shouldn't be that difficult...Has anyone else had difficulties converting a 2005 AJAX-Enabled web site to 2005 SP1 Web App Project?  Specifically with UserControls or Server Controls and User Controls inside AJAX Update Panels? I have been trying to upgrade my existing VS 2005 Web Site to a Web Application (that comes with SP1).  I followed Scott's migration tutorial [ http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ] but I have many problems regarding ...

Web Application or Web Site
Hello everyone.Could someone kindly explain the differences between a web application and a website ? Are they the same thing?  Hi, http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/08/445742.aspx HTH,Suprotim AgarwalASP.NET Grid With Excel Capabilities | 27 GridView Tips & Tricks | Hosting your site? | SQL Server Tips Web Site is Document that in internet mostly use HtmlWeb Application is Application that run on server use by Browser Hope can make you understand If you want a thing well done, do it yourself  Thanks. I'm still sorta confused. InwThai: Don't...

Web site with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I am very new to .NET so please bare with me.  I am in a web development college course and we are doing are web application in ASP.NET using C#.  One of my group members came across Visual Web Developer 2005 Express and showed us how easy it makes making a web page with login features. I was looking at the FAQ for VWD 2005 Express here: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/faq/default.aspx#vwd and it has this question: Can I build and deploy applications using the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 1? No. During the Beta 1 timeframe we want customers...

Converting Web Site to Web Application (AJAX web service goes missing)
I have just completed (almost) an exercise to convert a web site to a web app (acedemic reasons - just to see the differences).A few bumps on the road such as copying class files to the new solution and wondering for a while why the classes did not show up.  It was because the properties for the class file were "content" rather than "compile".  Also copied all my images to a newly created image folder outside the IDE.  There is no context menu item to refresh a folder in the Web App so it was out of the car and back in to fix that.One problem remains. ...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a...

How to precompile a web application (not a web site) in a 2005 deployment project
I have a vs2005 vb.net based web application with some 300 aspx pages, one asmx page, and 6 standalone executables, one of which is a service. I already have a deployment project created and working. This is a proper vs2005 web application project, and not just opening a website. I want to be able to deliver precompiled web pages as the system is very slow after installation/reboot. I recently downloaded the "web deployment projects" thing as recommended by scottgu, but when I add this to my solution it always fails with       "asp...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
 I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a few kinks when using the process on a VB project.  The Problem:After creating a new Web Application Project, copying in the old files, and running the "Convert to Web Application Project" process, the site would no longer build.  Any classes stored in the "Old_App_Code" folder (previously named...

Web resources about - web site or web application - asp.net.web-dev-2005-express

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 24% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Surve Mortgage applications decreased 3.2 percent from one week earlier, according ...

Mortgage applications fall 3.2%
A definitive rise in mortgage interest rates over the last month is keeping borrowers at bay.

Google pushing virtual reality applications
Google has been pushing its R&D into virtual reality applications and is looking to enhance YouTube with the ability to provide virtual reality ...