Visual Web Developer Express Edition 2005 Beta 2

I am getting ready to install  Visual Web Developer Express Edition 2005 Beta 2, and was hoping to get some tips about security settings needed if I install it on my regular computer that is hooked up to the internet by DSL modem.  I do have a firewall installed and virus checker, but want to make sure I am not making myself vulnerable.  I am a newbie at both ASP.net and the use of servers, so any help is greatly appreciated.
0
ASPstudent

Simply instaling VWD Express does not expose anything on your machine to make you vulnerable to the outside world.  It does install the ASP.NET Development Web Server which, when you choose to Run a file system-based web application, opens a random port on your machine, but it only responds to requests made by the local machine and does not respond to external requests.
-Dan
danmor
5/5/2005 9:35:50 PM
Simply instaling VWD Express does not expose anything on your machine to make you vulnerable to the outside world.  It does install the ASP.NET Development Web Server which, when you choose to Run a file system-based web application, opens a random port on your machine, but it only responds to requests made by the local machine and does not respond to external requests.
-Dan
danmor
5/5/2005 9:35:50 PM
Thank you for your reply.  That was exactly what I wanted to know.  I guess that would be the same if I decided to install  the ASP.NET Web Matrix Project instead?
0
ASPstudent
5/5/2005 9:40:25 PM
Yes, the Web Matrix project includes the same type of file system web development server.  VWD 2005 Beta 2 is a better choice because it contains many more features such as debugging, and it targets the 2.0 Framework.
-Dan
danmor
5/6/2005 1:25:40 AM
Thank you again.  I feel much more confident now.
0
ASPstudent

Getting Started with Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 and Visual Web Developer Express Edition 2005 Beta 2
Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 was released on 4/17/2005.  Here's some important information for users to get started with: If you installed any version of Whidbey Beta 1 products, you must uninstall all Whidbey Beta 1 products before installing Beta 2.  The following links provide details and additional information about uninstalling: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/uninstall/http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/04/19/409555.aspxhttp://blogs.msdn.com/hgao/archive/2005/04/15/408769.aspxhttp://blogs.msdn.com/hgao/archive/2005/04/15/408768.aspx You ...

Upgrading from "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" to "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2"
Newby question: I am learning ASP.NET and downloaded "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" in order to practice and learn the ropes.I just received "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2" and would like to upgrade. However, I haven't found any reference to removing "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" before installing "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2".Should I remove it?What do I need to back up before doing so?Thanks in advance,Ira I believe you can install VS on top of VWD. They, in fact, can coexits (although they will share some files).Thanks----------------------------------...

Do I need to install SOL 2005 server express edition with Visual Web developer 2005 beta 2.0?
Hello,,after I install VWD 2005 beta 2.0 on my machine, I also try to install the download 2005 SQL express edition , too. However, It won't let me to install SQL express because it said that I have to clean something on my machine. Do anyone have problem like this? is VWD 2005 have SQL 2005 express in it or not? I am confused... You don't need to have SQL 2005 to run VWD beta 2.0.  However if you are playing with the beta than its most likely because you want to learn about the feature 2.0 offers and if that is the case then I strongly recommend that you install SQL 2005 because...

The web site credated by beta 2 can not be run at Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,why?
The web site credated by beta 2 can not be run at Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,why? I have created a web with Visual Web Developer 2005 beta 2, and add three user using the tool ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool. now I install the final Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,but I find my web site can not be run in the final edition, when I try to login into system using Login control, I get the error 1 below: //--------------------------------------error 1--------------------------------------------------------Server Error in '/onlinebookmark' Application. Pr...

Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions , Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express
Newbie questions....    What is the difference between all this products, i understand now all of them are free of charge, my intention is to build a website, then i do not know if    Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express,  are independent produckts or just some kind of adds to  the last oneI have downloaded visual web developer 2005, and the starter kit, is this all that i need starting to work building my pages or am i missing something else? See the Express Products column in the Visual Studio 2005 Product Lin...

Download Visual Web Developer 2005 Express or Visual Basic 2005 Express?
Hi,I'm a programmer with a 4 year degree in computer science. I have been programming in some sort for 25 years. I have done VB (several years ago), Delphi (last done several years ago), and currently do some Acess programming every other month along with Perl about every month. I have never done any web page programming other than straight html (since 1996). My boss just asked me to look into learning ASP. We have a completed ASP project for a customer and our current vendor is too busy to update it. I would be the one doing minor changes and doing the next major phase.  So should I ...

Cost of Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2
Hi every one               Can anyone tell me what is the cost of Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2.Thank you Betas are free and you can download it herehttp://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/default.aspxAccording to following pagehttp://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/faq/default.aspx when VWD Express is released, the price of the product is $49  Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU Thank you for your reply. Namit Thapa...

How to create a database in the sql express with Viaual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2
How to create a database in the sql express with Viaual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2?我怎么样在Viaual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2使用 sql express建立数据库?Help! SQL Express must be installed.1) Make sure there is an App_Data folder at the root of the Web site.2) In Solution Explorer, right-click App_Data and choose Add New Item.3) In the Add New Item dialog box, choose SQL Database and give it a name.4) Click OK.5) Switch to Database Explorer window.6) Double-click new database to expand it.7) Right click Tables and then choose Add New Table.8) Define column properties and ...

Visual Web Developer 2005 express edition and Datawindow.net 2.0
I am using Visual Web Developer 2005 express edition and Datawindow.net 2.0. They seem to be working pretty well together except for one thing. I can't update the database with the updatedata command. I can insert, delete, filter and sort just fine but updating is a problem. I am unable to drag the transaction object over from the toolbox even though it is there. The transaction object is available but it is grayed out. I coded a transaction object manually for all of the other database updates which worked just fine. I tried the same process for updating and it did not work. D...

problem installing Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2
I have uninstalled all the 2005 beta programs as required, but when I try to install the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2   I get the messgae "Set detected that previous versions of the following product(s) are currently installed ..........."  but no application is listed and I can't continue with istallation. I wonder where it find an offending installation, and how can I correct this. Thank You Meir   Hello. Check the add/remove programs section of the control panel. You must remove all the items installed during preivous beta or ctop install...

Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
Can anyone tell me what are the main differences between  Visual Studio.NET 2005 and Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition from an ASP.NET(VB) developer point of view?Thank you! For starters, Visual Web Developer Express includes only the portions of Visual Studio that pertain directly to creating Web sites. For example, you can't create Windows Forms projects or class library projects, etc. The rule of thumb there is that in Visual Studio you can create multi-project solutions, whereas in Visual Web Developer Express you can create only Web site projects. Within the ...

Differences between Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2005?
What are the differences between Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2005?I can't find a listing of the differences anywhere on Microsofts site. http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/This link described the express editions.  And from this FAQ:The Express products are designed for hobbyists, students, and novice developers. As such, they lack the full breadth of features found in higher-end editions of Visual Studio and are designed specifically for scenarios common to the hobbyist, student, and novice developer. Each Express product includes targeted documentation that will help the beginning programmer quickly learn the concepts required to build more advanced applications. The user interfaces are significantly streamlined to ensure that extraneous features do not interfere with the learning process. The fundamental idea is that the Express products will guide the novice carefully so they are successful and gain confidence early in their programming career.Starting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:Programming Microsoft Web Forms My Blog Hello jettman,take a look here to this "Visual Studio Product Line Overview". A comparison chart it is available in that link.VB .Net Coder - Apologize my C# nescienceBest Regards. Thanks for the information!...

Please help me: How do I UNinstall Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2?
I am trying to find out how to uninstall this software from my computer could you help me please?Many many thanks      Frognovice Same as any other program. Open Control Panel, open Add Or Remove Programs, click on Visual Web Developer..., then click the Change/Remove button and follow the instructions on the screen. Control Panel - Add Remove Programs - Visual Web Developer Express Edition Beta2.-- Bash This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights....

Cannot open forms in design mode in visual web developer 2005 express edition beta 2
Hi all I cannot open forms in design mode in visual web developer 2005 express edition beta 2. I have downloaded an application from microsoft site which cleans up any previous version but still it is not working (I cannot open any forms in design mode of visual web developer 2005 express edition beta 2). Guide me on this uregently, Can you please elaborate on what is going on? Do you see Design and Source tabs? What happens if you click on Design?Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no ...

Visual Web Dev 2005 Express & SQL 2005 Express
Last week I downloaded and installed Vis Web Dev Express 2005 and have it running absolutely fine.  2 days later I downloaded the most recent SQL Server Express but when I try to install it, I get a message saying it has "detected incompatible beta components fromVisual Studio or SQL Server" and that I must "run the build clean up wizard from the cd."  Since I downloaded both parts I dont have a cd.  I dont particularly want to uninstall webdev express because the download was so slow the first time and it doesn't leave an install file for reinstallation.  What's my best ...

In Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2, how can I use a fixed port to test aspx page?
In Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2, how can I use a fixed port to test aspx page? In Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2, I test web page using File system instead of HTTP,so sometimes I get the result "http://localhost:3079/WebSite2/Default.aspx",sometimes I I get the result "http://localhost:5603/WebSite2/Default.aspx",I hope to use a fixed port to test aspx page,for example,whenever I test web page, the  URL always is "http://localhost:3000/WebSite2/Default.aspx" How can I do? thanks!SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work wi...

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Web Matrix
Hello, I am using Web Matrix with Microsoft SQL 2000 to build web sites in ASP.NET 1.1 / VB. I need to keep using Web Matrix with Microsoft SQL 2000. Can I install the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express? I would use Web Matrix with Microsoft SQL 2000 to work as I usually do. At same time I would get used to Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition. Thank You, Miguel VWD can coexists with Web Matrix. I am not sure, however, if SQL 2005 can run on the same box with SQL 2000. You do can, however, use VWD with SQL 2000.Thanks------...

Install Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition with Visual Studio .Net 2003
Hi All, Just want to make sure the following issue: is there any probelms/issue to install Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition on a workstation which have Visual Studio .Net 2003 installed? will it caused the VS .Net 2003 not work correctly? IIS 6.0 working fine for .Net framework 1.1 and 2.0?   Thanks!Edward During the beta period, I had both VWD 2005 and VS .NET 2003 installed side-by-side and I didn't notice any problems. I've also installed .NET Frameworks 1.1 and 2.0 on IIS 6.0, also without any issues. So, 1 and 2 shouldn't give you any problems. HTH,RyanRyan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThttp://ryanolshan.comHow to ask a question 1)  No problem.  If you open VS2003 projects in VWD it will convert them to the 2.0 framework, so watch out if that's not whwat you want. 2)  Works fine.  Need to run each framework in a separate application pool. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

A stored procedure can be created correctly in Beta 2, why couldn't it be created correctly in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition?
A stored procedure can be created correctly in Beta 2, why couldn't it be created correctly in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition? The stored procedure Hellocw_GetAllFoldersByUserId can be created correctly in Beta 2, but when I try to create it again in final Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,I get a error, why?  Are there some changes about Xquery language between final edition and Beta 2? create procedure Hellocw_GetAllFoldersByUserId@userId varchar(80),   --This line cause the error "Msg 2389, Level 16, State 1, Procedure Hellocw_InsertBookmark, Li...

This stored procedure can be created correctly in Beta 2, now it doesn't be created correctly in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, why?
This stored procedure (only part code) can be created correctly in Beta 2, but now it doesn't be created correctly in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,I get a error information below when I try to create:XQuery [cw_Bookmark.Bookmark.value()]: 'value()' requires a singleton (or empty sequence), found operand of type 'xdt:anyAtomicType *' I think there are some changes in final edition SQL 2005 about XQuery language, how can I fix this error! Many Thanks!     --------------------------------------Stored procedure (part code)-------------------------------------...

A stored procedure can be created correctly in Beta 2, now it doesn't be created correctly in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, why?
A stored procedure can be created correctly in Beta 2, now it doesn't be created correctly in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, why? This stored procedure (only part code) can be created correctly in Beta 2, but now it doesn't be created correctly in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,I get a error information below when I try to create:XQuery [cw_Bookmark.Bookmark.value()]: 'value()' requires a singleton (or empty sequence), found operand of type 'xdt:anyAtomicType *' I think there are some changes in final edition SQL 2005 about XQuery language, how ca...

Difference between "Visual Studio 2005 Professional" and "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
I would like to build a web application for my department.  But I found that both tools can be used to build a ASP web site.  What is the difference between these two tools ?  Do they function the same ?  You can review this online features matrix between all visual studio versionshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you Have a look here http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx. Thanks----------------------------------------------------------...

Web resources about - Visual Web Developer Express Edition 2005 Beta 2 - asp.net.web-dev-2005-express

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Video game developer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A video game developer is a software developer (a business or an individual) that creates video games . A developer may specialize in a certain ...

How to: Install Android N developer preview factory images on Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Nexus 9, and ...
... to the world the next version of Android, dubbed Android N, oddly early this year compared to the usual announcement at its I/O developer conference. ...

Hands-On With the Android N Developer Beta: Multi-Window & More
Yesterday Google surprised a number of people by launching the developer beta of the next release of Android, which is codenamed Android N. Normally ...

Google releases Android N Developer Preview and how-to install guide
... the world it allows affordable devices, while Apple simply doesn't. Today, Google shocks the tech world by releasing the first official Developer ...

Exclusive: Microsoft, developer partner to create $500 million ‘smart city’
Microsoft is partnering with techie-turned-real estate developer Minh Le to build a 2.5 million-square-foot, $500 million "smart city" in a suburb ...

7 tips to ace a final-stage engineering interview at Facebook, from a developer who conducts them
Facebook is one of the most desirable companies for job-seekers . Engineers are attracted to the company because it gives developers a chance ...

Here’s Everything New in Android N Developer Preview
The Android N Developer Preview is available for flashing, but before you dive into it head first, let’s take a look at everything Google has ...

Google Gives Developers 'Really Early' Preview of Android N
Android N updates some features and introduces some new ones, including support for split-screen mode and battery power management.

How to install the Android N developer preview on your device right now
Android N is still a few months away form release, but you can try it now, assuming you have a recent Nexus device.