I have Visual Studio .NET installed and have purchased a textbook for learning that uses examples, cases, and projects which reference use of Visual Web Developer Express 2005 (VWD). I have discovered that there are some nuances of differences between the Web UI in Visual Studio .Net 2005 and VWD. Therefore, I want to install VWD. I downloaded VWD and started to install it but stopped as I noticed the intallation as about to copy all it's files into the same directory the contained Visual Studio. I'm scared I'm going to screw up my Visual Studio installation, so I thought I'd ask if anyone have any experience installing both these programs on the same computer.

 From what I've read in the textbook, it ways it's possible. The textbook also indicates there are some added features in VWD not available in Visual Studio 2005 Web development environment.

 Can someone tell me if they have installed both these without trouble and confirm that the VWD seems to be the better web developement environment offer in the Visual suite of products.

 Thanks.

0
Fred411

I have both installed on my computer and have had no problems with it. I am currently using Web Developer and not VS .NET, only for the fact that VWD has the capabilities to handle everything I need to do. I would say it depends on what you are trying to do to determine which you should use. There isn't really a way to say one is better than the other as it depends on the user. I would recommend installing the two programs in two seperate folders though, to combat any problems that may arise from them sharing a folder.

0
bolinc
9/26/2007 9:33:33 PM

Thanks for your response, bolinc, but upon more detailed review of the installation process of VWD over VS, the VWD installation process is giving me information that I cannot install VWD in a custom directory but has to be installed into the VS directories. Info is coming back at me saying VWD is dependent on being installed within and over VS. So, I'm sucking in my gut and moving forward with the default installation.

0
Fred411
9/26/2007 10:01:05 PM

You generally don't need VWD Express if you have VS. VS includes everything that is in VWD. You can set Web development profile in VS and that is pretty much equal to VWD.

Both applications can be installed SxS, but they will share certian IDE components.

Mikhail
9/26/2007 11:03:15 PM

It should install both in a directory Microsoft Visual Studio, but inside that main folder should be two seperate folders, one for Visual Studio 2005/.NET or whatever version you are installing and one for Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition. That is what I meant by two seperate folders. You should not have both installed in the same folder.

0
bolinc

Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions , Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express
Newbie questions....    What is the difference between all this products, i understand now all of them are free of charge, my intention is to build a website, then i do not know if    Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express,  are independent produckts or just some kind of adds to  the last oneI have downloaded visual web developer 2005, and the starter kit, is this all that i need starting to work building my pages or am i missing something else? See the Express Products column in the Visual Studio 2005 Product Lin...

Download Visual Web Developer 2005 Express or Visual Basic 2005 Express?
Hi,I'm a programmer with a 4 year degree in computer science. I have been programming in some sort for 25 years. I have done VB (several years ago), Delphi (last done several years ago), and currently do some Acess programming every other month along with Perl about every month. I have never done any web page programming other than straight html (since 1996). My boss just asked me to look into learning ASP. We have a completed ASP project for a customer and our current vendor is too busy to update it. I would be the one doing minor changes and doing the next major phase.  So should I ...

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express VS Visual Studio 2005
Hi all - name of this thread says it all. What's the difference between the free app (that i've decided that I should be using over Dreamweaver) on the asp.net website, and the full, paid-up Visual Studio 2005? I realise VS2005 allows the coding of applications and completely web-unrelated things, but what does it do in the 'web world' that VWD2005 Express doesn't? Thanks!Ramic Solutions Hi all - you can ignore this thread - discovered the search button :-)Ramic Solutions...

Differences between Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2005?
What are the differences between Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2005?I can't find a listing of the differences anywhere on Microsofts site. http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/This link described the express editions.  And from this FAQ:The Express products are designed for hobbyists, students, and novice developers. As such, they lack the full breadth of features found in higher-end editions of Visual Studio and are designed specifically for scenarios common to the hobbyist, student, and novice developer. Each Express product includes targeted documenta...

Visual Web Developer Express 2005 coexist with Visual Studio 2005 Professional
I'd like to show some people here Visual Web Developer Express 2005 but I already have/use Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 Professional on my laptop. Can they all coexist? (I saw many notes about not having VS 2005 beta with Express but non on VS 2005 Professional with Express) Thank you.   Yes they can, but since you already have VS 2005 Pro you don't need VWD Express as VS 2005 includes all VWD features and adds more (such as HTML Accessibility Checker and Web Form Localization).Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provi...

Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
Can anyone tell me what are the main differences between  Visual Studio.NET 2005 and Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition from an ASP.NET(VB) developer point of view?Thank you! For starters, Visual Web Developer Express includes only the portions of Visual Studio that pertain directly to creating Web sites. For example, you can't create Windows Forms projects or class library projects, etc. The rule of thumb there is that in Visual Studio you can create multi-project solutions, whereas in Visual Web Developer Express you can create only Web site projects. Within the ...

Install Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition with Visual Studio .Net 2003
Hi All, Just want to make sure the following issue: is there any probelms/issue to install Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition on a workstation which have Visual Studio .Net 2003 installed? will it caused the VS .Net 2003 not work correctly? IIS 6.0 working fine for .Net framework 1.1 and 2.0?   Thanks!Edward During the beta period, I had both VWD 2005 and VS .NET 2003 installed side-by-side and I didn't notice any problems. I've also installed .NET Frameworks 1.1 and 2.0 on IIS 6.0, also without any issues. So, 1 and 2 shouldn't give you any problems. HTH,RyanRyan Olsha...

VS.NET 2005 & Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I'm currently working on VWD using C#, and i'm planning to study MCTS, so i'm wondering if there's major differences between both in Web field.Thank you aloti need a creative atmosphere Not for what you're doing.JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Getting Started with Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 and Visual Web Developer Express Edition 2005 Beta 2
Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 was released on 4/17/2005.  Here's some important information for users to get started with: If you installed any version of Whidbey Beta 1 products, you must uninstall all Whidbey Beta 1 products before installing Beta 2.  The following links provide details and additional information about uninstalling: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/uninstall/http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/04/19/409555.aspxhttp://blogs.msdn.com/hgao/archive/2005/04/15/408769.aspxhttp://blogs.msdn.com/hgao/archive/2005/04/15/408768.aspx You ...

Difference between "Visual Studio 2005 Professional" and "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
I would like to build a web application for my department.  But I found that both tools can be used to build a ASP web site.  What is the difference between these two tools ?  Do they function the same ?  You can review this online features matrix between all visual studio versionshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you Have a look here http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx. Thanks----------------------------------------------------------...

is componentart for Visual Studio 2005 (or Visual Web Express 2005 version)
http://www.componentart.com It seems like the Web.UI suite is geared towards Visual Studio 2003, because there is not right arrow button on the top right corner of the Grid. And it also requires code behind coding, as where the standard Visual Studio 2005 girds require no require no code behind coding Is this the case?Cheers!- Aron...

Visual Web Dev 2005 Express & SQL 2005 Express
Last week I downloaded and installed Vis Web Dev Express 2005 and have it running absolutely fine.  2 days later I downloaded the most recent SQL Server Express but when I try to install it, I get a message saying it has "detected incompatible beta components fromVisual Studio or SQL Server" and that I must "run the build clean up wizard from the cd."  Since I downloaded both parts I dont have a cd.  I dont particularly want to uninstall webdev express because the download was so slow the first time and it doesn't leave an install file for reinstallation.  What's my best ...

Upgrading from "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" to "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2"
Newby question: I am learning ASP.NET and downloaded "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" in order to practice and learn the ropes.I just received "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2" and would like to upgrade. However, I haven't found any reference to removing "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" before installing "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2".Should I remove it?What do I need to back up before doing so?Thanks in advance,Ira I believe you can install VS on top of VWD. They, in fact, can coexits (although they will share some files).Thanks----------------------------------...

Web resources about - Visual Web Developer Express 2005 and Visual Studio .Net 2005 - asp.net.web-dev-2005-express

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Video game developer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A video game developer is a software developer (a business or an individual) that creates video games . A developer may specialize in a certain ...

Developer secures new funding to complete world’s tallest building Kingdom Tower
... Arabian riyal fund has been established to pay for remaining work on its long-delayed $1.2 billion Kingdom Tower project in Jeddah. The developer ...

Sketch joins parade of developers abandoning Mac App Store in favor of direct sales
The developers of the UI design tool Sketch have announced their decision to exit the Mac App Store, following in the footsteps of many other ...

Carcassonne developer does interactive fiction with One Button Travel for iOS
... Croft Go updated with free expansion . One Button Travel Carcassonne Lost Cities Rules! 80 Days DEVICE 6 Lifeline... Carcassonne developer ...

PS4 developers can now access more of the system’s CPU power
... components as one you buy in 2020. But through software updates, the current generation of game consoles is managing to give developers access ...

Application developers struggle to adapt to changing licensing models
Application producers are aware of rapid change impacting their ability to make money from their software products, but they're not adopting ...

Pros and developers alike can benefit from these extended Cyber Monday deals
With all the hubbub around the post-Thanksgiving shopping, it’s nice when there’s a huge discount on something that is actually useful. These ...

Life is Strange developer Dontnot talk about their new RPG, Vampyr
If there’s one thing you can’t deny about Dontnod, it’s that they’re incredibly thematically varied. If it’s not futuristic memory hunters in ...

Tor Developer Insists They've Learned From Attack -
Last year, the "anonymous" dark web browser that is Tor suffered a large-scale attack that compromised the anonymity of its users over a period ...