SQL server 2005 and SQL server 2005 lite

Hi,
I have a web site hosted at a hosting company.. I'm in the process of designing a web site which has some forms that are going to hit a database, etc.. for a small company.. This small company has it's own Web server, and when I'm finished I'll copy the finsihed product to their IIS web server, etc.. Well, I have SQL server 2005 full edition as part of my web hosting, but I'm going to have to use SQL server Lite for the end user / client since they don't have SQL server. So, I'm wondering if I can do my work on MY remote host using the full edition of SQL server 2005, and then copy to the client's version of SQL lite and things still work? I'm not doing anything fancy, and it's a very small app in which maybe ten people will use over and over, but only once or twice a day, and never at the same time.. The Database is currently in Access, but I want to use SQL lite as I think it would be better.. I hope that all makes sense.. It's late and I'm exhausted!

Is it possible to work with the full version of SQL server and then save that or export it to the Lite version and things work? There's only two tables and maybe 5 queries that are going to use standard vanilla SQL.. No MS SQL or anything like that..

Tim
0
HoosierDaddy

Yes you can use the hosting company then detach and attach the database with the code from the link below.  If you are in the US attend the launch event in your city and you can get the full SQL Server 2005 free.  Post again if you have more questions.  Hope this helps.

http://forums.asp.net/981274/showpost.aspx

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
11/19/2005 4:58:25 PM

Caddre,

I think that's your name.. Anyway, thank you sooo much.. I really appreciate it.. One other question if you don't mind?

I tried to connect to Access on my remote host using OLEDB provider, but it failed several times.. The reason according to the message box is that it can't find the path to the file, but the path that it showed as being wrong was a local path, and I was using an IP address / App_Data/my.mdb as the path? What did I do wrong? It was showing me that the path that it coudln't find (The message box with the error that is) was something like C:\Webexpress\SomeFolder\Someother Folder\myDB.mdb? I'm confused.. I am wondering first all, if it's possible to use Access on a remote host and connect? If not, then I'll use SQL server, but curious about using Access? It seems it should be ok to use an IP address? The root of the web server of course is the IP and then the folder holds the access database is called "App_Data" and the database is stored in there.. When I went to the Server explorer, right clicked and said "New Database Connection" then I picked OLEDB for Jet, then in the path box I typed in the path above with the IP addy, App_Data, etc, etc..  What did I do wrong?

Thanks so much.. I really really appreciate your help! You rock!

Tim

0
HoosierDaddy

I hope I can help you with Access but I think Microsoft prefer developers to use SQL Server Express but the Asp.net team boss have posted tutorials and links in his blog that will help you with Access database. Hey thanks for the compliment. Hope this helps.

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/09/02/424337.aspx

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/01/421275.aspx

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
11/19/2005 9:39:26 PM

Hi Caddre..

Can I upload an SQL lite to a remote host and install it there? I guess I'm cuirous about how to proceed to use SQL server 2005 full version, then copy my web app to another IP / Root that has SQL server lite.. and make it work.. Actually, when copying I don't know that they have SQL server lite, and if they don't, then I have to try to install SQL server lite on their end? Is that possible? Just curious.. I don't see how it would be actually..

Thanks so much with your help!
Tim

0
HoosierDaddy
11/23/2005 9:38:43 PM
Hosting companies will have the full version they will just create one database for you which you can access with management studio.  Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
11/23/2005 10:01:04 PM

Hi Caddre.. I realize this, but I'm wondering if it's possible to upload the lite version of SQL because in the end, I have to set up the db on the clients end remotely if possible! So I wanted to be able to develop at home or on MY remote host, then upload or copy to the clients Remote Host and it work.. That's the whole thing in a nut shell, and I've really not received an answer on this yet.. I did look at the docs from MS and it says that one can use the SQL server lite version, and use the connection string that will allow one to copy to a remote host and as long as they have SQL server lite with the same name, all the ASPX pages that are doing Database hits will work perfectly, even if the path isn't the same on both machines;, ie; my machine and the clients server, etc.. etc..

Tim

0
HoosierDaddy
11/25/2005 9:19:59 AM
If you are dealing with clients you have to install the full version which I have given you a download link because you need the management studio to create and move databases.  The product self install after you choose the components  Hope this helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/trial-software.mspx
Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
11/26/2005 12:12:52 AM
Cadre,

Thanks so much.. You rock!
Tim

0
HoosierDaddy

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

Confliction between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,   My objective is using a single DB file (mdf file)  + SQL Server Express 2005 to run my program   I got two softwares here, Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005. Firstly, I installed Visual Studio 2005, normally the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition will be installed with this software. After finishing the installation. I opened a new project and try to open a DB file (.mdf) from Visual Studio 2005, it works. The problem is that I can't restore the mdf file from an old database file since it lose a lot of functions that appear in SQL Server 2000 / SQL Server 2005. ...

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

Sql Server 2005 Express or Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition
Hi all, I just installed my VS 2005 Pro (full installation) and it installed Sql Server Express 2005.  I also have a CD for Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition which I have not installed yet.  My need for Sql Server on my development machine is for building and testing apps - just myself - no users will be hitting my sql server on my PC.  Most of the time I hit my web server's sql server but also want the engine on my PC for when I'm offline. Question: Should I install the developer edition and remove sql server express?  Doesn't the developer edition more close...

Visual Basic .NET 2005 Express & Sql Server 2005 Express remote server
Hi,  I want to make a component library in Visual Basic.NET and connect to a remote Sql Server. When I create a new DataSet with the wizard, I can only connect to a .mdf file, but not to a Sql Server. With Visual Web Developer I can connect to a Sql server. What is the difference between these enviroments ? How can I do the same with Visual Basic.NET ?  Thanks in advance. Visual Basic .NET Express cannot connect to SQL Servers. The Visual Web Developer is the only express edition that can utilize SQL Server. You need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Standard or higher.Cheers,&n...

Restoring a SQL Server Express 2005 Database to SQL Server Standard 2005
Hello,If I backup and restore an express database to sql server 2005 standard, will there still be limitations in regards to the database size, cpu...etc.? Thanks,Jon  I suppose that no. Limitations are connected to SQL engine not to database itself. But probably if your database will grow up connected to SQL Standard and you will try to move it back to SQL express you will be in trouble.  ThanksJPazgier...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Import SQL 2005 Express to SQL 2005 Server
Hi, Can anyone give me a "dummies guide" to transfering my DNN 4.0 site from my development machine, running SQL Express 2005 to my host/production server which is running SQL Server 2005? Any other general advice for transferring sites between machines? Thanks, DG ...

How to export sql server 2005 express for import on web sql server
Hi,  I'm new to SQL Server 2005 Express and SQL.  I've been using Access for year and have not moved on to asp.net for my website.  I understand from 1and1.com that I will need to imort a backup of my SQL Server 2005 Express file to my on site database. I don't find any way to do that.  Please advise as to how I get the express version to work on my site. Thanks! Leesha Did you install the SQL Management Studio?  In the toolkit... JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future rea...

Web resources about - SQL server 2005 and SQL server 2005 lite - asp.net.web-dev-2005-express

Server farm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A server farm or server cluster is a collection of computer servers usually maintained by an enterprise to accomplish server needs far beyond ...

Intel’s 2nd-gen Compute Stick is a faster, better iTunes media server
One year after introducing the original Compute Stick, a version of which was featured in our guide to building a $150 iTunes media server , ...

Facebook's LiveRail Exits the Ad Server Business
Facebook's publisher-facing ad-tech arm LiveRail is shutting down the ad server business that you might not have known it operated. Known best ...

8 quirky emails from Hillary Clinton's private server
The latest State Department release includes emails on limo ride flow charts, jury duty advice, and the "Texts from Hillary" viral photo

Cyber Expert: Hillary’s Server Was A Huge Security Risk
Cyber Expert: Hillary’s Server Was A Huge Security Risk

Netflix To Crack Down On Proxy Servers As Share Price Continues To Be Volatile
Netflix is cracking down on people using proxy servers to access the SVOD giant’s library. The use of VPNs (virtual private networks) was commonplace ...

Awesome: Goku's voice actress is playing Wukong for Japan's League of Legends server
... by the Journey to the West legend. Whoa. Get a taste of her work below. League of Legends – Son Goku voice actress is Wukong in Japan server ...

Lenovo sees weak server shipments in 2015; looking to ship over 1 million units in 2016
Despite the acquisition of IBM's server business, Lenovo's server shipments dropped over 20% on year in 2015 and the company is pushing aggressively ...

AMD Finally Gets ARM-Based Server Chip to Market
The chip maker launches its delayed Opteron A1100 SoC into a data center market that officials say is now more ready for ARM-based processors. ...

EXCLUSIVE: Clinton's email, server exploits open records law loophole
EXCLUSIVE: Clinton's email, server exploits open records law loophole