Web Site Project and Web Application Project

I hope someone can help me out with this question.

I have been using Web Application Projects and like what it can offer because I am so used to how VS 2003 was structured. I am trying to teach someone the difference between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects, but haven't been able to figure out how to create a new solution that is specific to the Web Site Project structure anymore.

I thought when I installed Web Application Projects, I would have the option to switch back and forth between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects. Is there something I am overlooking when I create a new solution or project?

I hope someone can answer this question.

Thank you.

0
tgy1012

Is there anybody out there that can answer this question?

Thanks.

0
tgy1012
3/22/2007 4:21:29 PM

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I figured I would post just in case it is.

To create a website using VS (without creating a project):
File | New | Web Site

Does that answer your question?

Thanks,
Jim.

0
Jim_in_Washington
3/23/2007 8:44:12 PM

You ask a very good question and I thought I would add in my two cents worth of explanation to this posting.

All versions of the purchased Visual Studio.NET 2005 product and the Visual Web Developer Express free download can create Web Site Projects.  For the purchased versions of Visual Studio.NET 2005, you go to File - New - Web Site.  For the free download Visual Web Developer Express you choose File - New Web Site.

The purchased versions of Visual Studio.NET 2005 can have an add-in added which allows for Web Application Projects.  Once this add-in is installed, you access it by going File - New - Project and then select ASP.NET Web Application from the choices in the Visual Studio Installed Templates area.

You cannot use the Visual Web Developer Express edition to create Web Application Projects because the Express editions are not designed to handle add-ins of the type that permit this functionality.

Hope this helpsSmile

Ira Richard Smith
0
irasmith
3/25/2007 12:37:39 AM

Hi tgy1012,

Now VS.NET 2005 doesn’t have the option to switch back and forth between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects.

We are actively collecting feedbacks from end-users so that we can improve the usability of the future versions of our products. You can post your feedback through follow link:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback

Thank you for choosing Microsoft’s product and giving us your feedback.

Sincerely,
Benson Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Benson

Web Application Projects vs. Web Site Project- Where is Copy Project?
I have opted to use the Web App Project in 2005 (The 2003 Model)http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspxWhy is the copy project missing when this model is used? It was there in 2003?Thank you,Patrick http://www.SURFThru.com   SURFThru.com I wanted to bump this topic again to see if any Microsoft techs had any input on this item.SURFThru.com...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

Web Site Project or Web Application Project?
Hi all, I have a situation here.  My team's project has window and web clients, and we used Team System to control Source Code. We have a contract company that develop the generated codes for some of the web pages that being used in the web client.  They built it using Web Site Project.  We still need to develop some other web pages that has different functionalities than the code generator and one of our team member created a project which is a Web Application Project.  Now, the code generator doesn't work because it won't compile in our Web Application Pro...

Web Application Project/Web Site Project
Hello, I have some couple of questions... 1) How do I know a particular application already built in asp.net is "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ?2) Also I have a application built in ASP.NET and If I open the source code in VS2005, Its giving a message saying this application is built in old version and it should be converted into new version before even using. So should I migrate the application to "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ? . kindly advise..(Note: This application is NOT very big or complex.) Thanks in Advance..Renil. 1)A web application pro...

migrating web site project to web application project
hi i faced a different problem like i have all the namespace in my references folder but still the problem existed for scriptmanager,updatepanel,updateprogress     in default.aspx.designer.cs page it shows the error message can't found particular assembly  this is the declaration in default.aspx.designer.cs page protected System.Web.UI.ScriptManager ScriptManager1; Error 8 The type or namespace name 'ScriptManager' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Web.UI' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\Web\web\web\Logged\default.aspx.des...

Converting a Web Site Project to a Web Application Project ?
I upgraded my .NET 1.1 apps to Web Site Projects long before this add on was released and was wondering if there's  a way to convert these Web Site Projects to Web Application Projects because I really did like the old way of just uploading one dll to the web server when updates came around.   Is there a way to do this?In this world there are 10 types of people, those that know binary and those who don't. Here are a couple of tutorials that describe how to do this: C# - http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx VB - http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBa...

Converting a Web Application Project to a Web Site Project
I converted a VS 2003 web application to VS 2005 using the Web Application Project model.  Is it possible to convert this to a Web Site Project once it is upgraded to VS 2005? We don't have any automated tools to convert from VS2005 WAP to Websites.  If you really prefer to use the website model, I would recommend converting directly from VS2003 to Websites.  To do that you can open the VS2003 app using the "Open Website" command.Omar KhanVisual Web Developer Team I thought you were going to say that.  I have spent quite a bit of time getting rid of most of the warnin...

Difference between Web Site Project, and Web Application Project?
Hi - can anyone please explain, in simple terms, what the difference is between a Web Site Project, and a Web Application Project? I've read Scotts blog at http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBasic/Migration/Migration.aspx - but am none the wiser. I'm about to upgrade from VS2003 to VS2005 - and don't want to waste a lot of time upgrading existing 2003 web apps to 2005 web site projects, if web application projects are more appropriate. Thanks for any guidance, Mark Hi.I have exactly the same question, and can't find any information about it.Can anyone help us?Sérgio Also i...

Integrate/combine web application projects with web site project
I have a (dnn) website, using the standard vs 2005 web site project. In it, I use a virtual directory that to develop modules. They are defined in web application projects, that build to the bin map of the main site. This works great: I can use web application projects to manage my modules (consisting of ascx controls and class libraries), and use the code I downloaded for dnn without changes.Now, when I add an aspx page in a web application project, I got a problem: It builds, but when I want to open the aspx page with the browser, I get an error that an http module defined in the web.confi...

Difference between Web Site project and (NEW) Web application project?
Hi there,i have been reading about the new Web application project (addon) for Visual Studio 2005, all sounds really nice but i just can't put my finger on it...Whats the differences really? And why is  one better than the other?I also read about the Visual studio 2005 Web deployment projects, which from what i can gather allows us to deploy our code like back in 2003 i..e. with a BIN directory  and dll which is the compiled code behind stuff..are these in anyway linked together?Thanks in advacne for any info..Best rregardsIan Have a look here http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...

Which is best web application projects or Web site projects in VS 2008
Hi, Using VS.NET 2008 We are developing a web based product (inventory, accounts,etc). This product has DA, BO layers. We are currently using web site project model. We are using webdelopyemnt project for deploying at client place.I want to know that, which model Web site model or web applicaton model is a best model for applications?I read most of the blogs and also articles for knowing difference between these two models.  But I am not coming under conclusion.Let me know your views and alos best answers Regards S. Muhilan   As you probably know, the difference between...

Web application project or Web site project which is "better"?
Hi,We are a bit confused as to which web project type is best to use.Currently we have a number of large projects in the old style with .vbproj files. These have been upgraded to VS2008 web application projects. Compilation seems slower of upgraded projects than created from scratch web site projects. I do get the impression MS is pushing the new style format for future releases.What are the advantages/disadvantages of the new web site project?Where do references get stored in the new style project?Where do the control declarations get hidden in partial classes?Thanks, Alex ...

VS 2005 Web Application project >> Web Site project
Hello,I am trying to do the uncommon, change a VS 2005 Web Application project (originally a converted 2003 Web Application project) to a VS 2005 Web Site project. There are many tutorials on how to either take a 2003 Web Application project, or 2005 Web Site project and turn them into into a VS 2005 Web Application project. (Not what I'm looking for)Also, is it possible to convert a 2003 Web Application project to a 2005 Web Site project. (too late for my current projects.... but for future refernce) Many thanx     There may very well be a reason why the road o...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web resources about - Web Site Project and Web Application Project - asp.net.vs2005-webapp-projects

Second visa application 'likely' to be approved
The family of a terminally ill Pakistani student can 'hopefully come to Australia sooner rather than later' says Immigration Minister Peter Dutton. ...

Apple patent application reveals exciting possibilities for twin-camera system rumored for iPhone 7
We heard a report in November that Apple was testing an iPhone 7 model with dual rear cameras , and a patent application published today not ...

Panasonic Develops a Stretchable Resin Film and Its Application Materials for Stretchable Electronics ...
A stretchable film is developed. This film stretches to 2.5 times the original length and then returns to the original form. A conductive paste ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 37% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance, Purchase Applications Both Up in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 7.3 percent from one week ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush

Visa application of San Bernardino shooter released
CNN Visa application of San Bernardino shooter released CNN (CNN) The visa application of one of the San Bernardino shooters was released ...